Painting my TVS questions

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
So, since my car is just sitting in my garage I think I'm going to pull the supercharger and paint it. I heard VHT was the way to go but have a couple questions so I do it right. First, will their universal white engine enamel be a close enough match the the ford performance white? Second, do I need the primer too or just clean the supercharger really good and apply the engine enamel? Lastly, did you guys bake your supercharger for 200* to cure it or just let it sit overnight? Thanks for the help all!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
20160110_145522_zpsq84g3df7.jpg

I dont think you will be happy with a painted finish unless you sandblast the oem coating. This is powdercoat.

Imatk

Established Member
I can't comment on the match.

Best way to find that out is to get the paint and do a test swatch and compare it.

The main thing you will want to do is to make sure you have a good contact for your new paint.

Also if you want a really shiny finish you'll need to sand the surface smooth.

Basically whatever your surface looks like now is what it will look like with paint.

I'm assuming you have the stock black finish on the TVS. If so it might be helpful to primer it just because it's black and the primer will give you a neutral base. If you just paint over the black your color coat will be darker.

So in summary :)

If it was me and I wanted a shiny finish I'd sand smooth, then primer, then paint.

Follow cure times on whatever paint you purchase and you'll be good to go.

Just don't rush it and you'll be fine.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Jay- Thank you! I'd love to powder coat it but was looking for a DIY type process. I've never powder coated before.

Imatk- I have the silver Trinity TVS. So I think I may have to sand the crap out of it to get the finish off. Not too worried about it being all smooth and shiny. I also would prefer for it to not look like crap...lol so I may call around to see if anyone locally can powder coat it.

Thanks for the input guys!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Jay- Thank you! I'd love to powder coat it but was looking for a DIY type process. I've never powder coated before.

Imatk- I have the silver Trinity TVS. So I think I may have to sand the crap out of it to get the finish off. Not too worried about it being all smooth and shiny. I also would prefer for it to not look like crap...lol so I may call around to see if anyone locally can powder coat it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Powder is your best bet bud. Ive seen some really good initial paint jobs turn to crap on TVS' ,i deal with them all the time.

shelby2

Established Member
Good afternoon,
I did this project and has held up for 3 years now, and still looks great. You will need to wet sand and sand the blower. Using old pencil ends to wrap sand paper in crevices will help. Also use simple green with the wet sanding helps alott. Next clean with simple green. Then mask with painters tape. Lay tarps and make a clean section. Use the primer, and lightly sand before applying the white. Do not, I repeat Do not use the clear. It will tint slight yellow when fully cured. You'll end up having to remove the clear and re-do the white. To answer your question the white is close enough to the performance white. I cured on the car. There is blower seals that don't like the baking process. Clean hands and area when installing. Also be gentle with the virgin paint. Besides that, it will look killer when done, and cleans easily with simple green. You can spray the white paint in a cup for easy touch ups if needed in the future. Go for it!
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Mark

Last edited:

shelby2

Established Member
I then applied new decals on the sides and installed. I think it came out killer, and for less then $80 bucks. Big difference for little scratch.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Hope this helps.
Mark

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:

shelby2

Established Member
OH one more thing, after you clean the sanded blower and mask with good painters tape (using brake spring tools screw drivers and picks helps lay the tape down in tight areas) wipe with acetone to get a super clean surface before layiping the primer. Take your time and have fun with it. Most people assume my blower is powder coated. Most can't believe I did it with 2 cans of primer, and two rattle cans of white. Don't ask me a ought the clear. Still not happy about having to fix that situation. Oh by the way I daily drive my car, even in the snow.Let me know how it turns out.image.jpeg
Mark

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
You definitely want to use an etching primer before painting it - it's green in the above pics. I have a thread showing what I did to mine, so maybe search under my screen name.

Imatk

Established Member
I painted my brake calipers with engine enamel and also my coil covers.

The coil covers are still going strong after almost four years.

The brakes were about six years old before I wrecked my car so I don't see why it wouldn't last as long on a blower.

Prep is key though... without proper prep then the paint won't adhere.

I didn't use etching primer, but I've read it helps adhesion.

shelby2

Established Member
Not sure we're you see green? But the blower is white as white can be.image.jpeg
Mark

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the pics and replies! Shelby2, your blower looks great! Did you just use the VHT as well? I think I will look at the cost for powder coating vs the time it will take me to do this project. I don't want to do it twice that's for sure! Lol I may just give it a shot and if it turns out like crap then give it to the guys to powder coat.

shelby2

Established Member
The first pic was gray primer( just not good lighting) I did use the VHT ceramic engine paint, both primer and white, also on first go round the clear. However do not use the clear! You'll be fine with the primer and white. Here's the deal about the powder coating. Blower has to be disassembled prior to powder coating. The seals can't take the heat of the powder coating process. Painting I admit will not be as durable as powder coating, but you don't have to disassemble and reassemble the blower. here's another pic of it in primer. I actually thought the same thing, if it didn't turn out looking nice (since I show my car too) I would bite the bullet and pay for the rebuild after I broke the blower down for powder coating. However it was nice to see the cheapest way turned out so well.
Thanks Markimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Do you think a wire brush wheel on a dremel would work to sand it down? If not, what grit sand paper did you use if you remember? I might give this a shot this coming weekend. I figure if it's too ugly I'll just keep my hood closed so no one can see it. ;-)

Imatk

Established Member
Do you think a wire brush wheel on a dremel would work to sand it down? If not, what grit sand paper did you use if you remember? I might give this a shot this coming weekend. I figure if it's too ugly I'll just keep my hood closed so no one can see it. ;-)

I wouldn't advise you do that. You'll likely get burrs/scratches that are uneven on your surface which will not be apparent before you paint, but WILL be apparent after you paint.

I'd probably start with either 150 or 240 grit to take off the current paint/coating.

After that 400 grit, and if you want it really smooth go to 2000 grit.

I like to use 3m sponge/blocks personally. You get a nice even sanding surface, but you don't have to use a traditional sanding block with paper.

They're more expensive but worth it IMO since you can get into spots like the ridges of your blower much easier and more efficient that traditional paper.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about: 8872723644446.jpg

shelby2

Established Member
Imatk pretty much summed it up, the foam blocks do work well! Also I used painters tape on the bottom of blower and intake hole as well as taped off the PVC ports prior to wet sanding. This way no water got in blower. After I was finished wet sanding and cleaning. I re taped the blower, and masked off the areas I didn't want painted. Then came the fun part. You'll do great, take your time and have fun with it.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Imatk pretty much summed it up, the foam blocks do work well! Also I used painters tape on the bottom of blower and intake hole as well as taped off the PVC ports prior to wet sanding. This way no water got in blower. After I was finished wet sanding and cleaning. I re taped the blower, and masked off the areas I didn't want painted. Then came the fun part. You'll do great, take your time and have fun with it.

Thanks! We'll see how it turns out!

Users who are viewing this thread