~Painting The Bottom Of My Hood~

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
ninja edit
LOL.. OK.

Good Job :beer: Looks perfect!
Thanks man. :beer:

How do you not have any issues with the tape lines?
I kept it light around the edges and took the tape off while the paint was still wet. In a few small spots it tried to come up a little but I managed to push it back into place with my finger.

Looks great Kevin...I'd better get on this but I have 2 hoods to do LOL
Get to it tehn! Times 2! LOL :-D

Looks good. Another great write up by Kevin :beer:
Thanks. :beer:

mrose75

Established Member
Another "I'm 04Sleeper and my Torch Red Cobra is better than any other Cobra you could even image because I did this" thread!!:rolleyes: :poke:

Great Job, man!! Looks awesome, this is definitely going on my to do list. I've alway been torn between taking off the hood cover or leaving it. Way to raise the bar.

UncleDan

Established Member
That looks pisser dude. I just took the hood insulation off my car and there are some scuff marks from it. This thread was exactly what I was looking for because I'm eventually going to paint the underside of mine too. Great job!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Great results. looks very professional I must say, and I work for BASF so I'm authorized to say that.:thumbsup:

another great write-up!

vadorsnake04

Established Member
looks great!

i loved mine once i painted it, but, i was pissed when i shredded a blower belt one night and it flew up and chipped the paint lol, but that is part of it.

benulis55

Established Member
you have inspired me to do this. I just ordered the painting supplies.

one quick question, how many coats off clear did you do?

4 coats base and 3 coats clear???

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hot damn your car is stupid clean.... I'd be afraid to drive that thing.

Maybe that's your secret.... you just never drive it, let it sit in your garage, and do DIY's like this just so you can take fancy pictures of your car and show them to us..... yes that's it.... I'm on to you.

anthonyg

Established Member
I've been in the auto-body industry for 15+ years and it looks good. For someone that wants to try panting this is perfect. The only thing I would do different is getting a good quality base coat and clear coat. You can get PPG paint and Sherwin Williams paint in aerosol can. Same thing with the clear. Stay away from that crap from Auto Zone and Advanced. Oh yea make sure you sand the soundering area with gray 3m scuff pad and make sure thta you cover the car good. Overspray can be a pain it the a$$ to remove. where did you get thoes sweet hood vents?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looks good!
I gatta do the same thing to mine
Thanks man. You will be happy you did. I'm still kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

Another "I'm 04Sleeper and my Torch Red Cobra is better than any other Cobra you could even image because I did this" thread!!:rolleyes: :poke:

Great Job, man!! Looks awesome, this is definitely going on my to do list. I've alway been torn between taking off the hood cover or leaving it. Way to raise the bar.
LOL. Thanks man. :beer: That was my debate for doing this as well. Guess that's why I took so long to finally do it.

That looks pisser dude. I just took the hood insulation off my car and there are some scuff marks from it. This thread was exactly what I was looking for because I'm eventually going to paint the underside of mine too. Great job!
Thanks. Hope it helped. :beer:

Shoosh man! That looks great!!

I just ordered some, I'm gonna give this a shot myself!
Thanks. Be sure and post up some pics of your too.

Great results. looks very professional I must say, and I work for BASF so I'm authorized to say that.:thumbsup:

another great write-up!
Thanks. That means a lot coming from an expert! :thumbsup:

GREAT job, Kevin. Looks like it came that way. :rockon:
Thanks Brian. That is exactly what I was trying to acomplish! :rolling:

looks great!

i loved mine once i painted it, but, i was pissed when i shredded a blower belt one night and it flew up and chipped the paint lol, but that is part of it.
Yeah. That could always happen. But it's no excuse not to do it! LOL.

you have inspired me to do this. I just ordered the painting supplies.

one quick question, how many coats off clear did you do?

4 coats base and 3 coats clear???
I used 4 coats of base and 2 heavy coats of clear. 1 can of base and 1 can of clear.

Kevin you never cease to amaze me. Absolutely beautiful car. Underside of the car next?
Thanks Craig. Now don't give me any more ideas! :idea:

Hot damn your car is stupid clean.... I'd be afraid to drive that thing.

Maybe that's your secret.... you just never drive it, let it sit in your garage, and do DIY's like this just so you can take fancy pictures of your car and show them to us..... yes that's it.... I'm on to you.
LOL.. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone. :smmon::p

:beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I've been in the auto-body industry for 15+ years and it looks good. For someone that wants to try panting this is perfect. The only thing I would do different is getting a good quality base coat and clear coat. You can get PPG paint and Sherwin Williams paint in aerosol can. Same thing with the clear. Stay away from that crap from Auto Zone and Advanced. Oh yea make sure you sand the soundering area with gray 3m scuff pad and make sure thta you cover the car good. Overspray can be a pain it the a$$ to remove. where did you get thoes sweet hood vents?
Thanks for the tips. :beer:

I bought the hood vents from True Forged.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3275-true-forged-billet-hood-vent-gb-3-a.html

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Nice job Kevin. It's weird to see your car with the stock wheels. What True Forged Wheels did you go with this time?

monX

Established Member
Wow man, the paint job looks PERFECT, you my friend have GREAT taste.

Can we finaly admit Torch Red is the best color ever made for the cobra?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Nice job Kevin. It's weird to see your car with the stock wheels. What True Forged Wheels did you go with this time?
We will just have to wait to see......(If Steve ever gets them built! LOL)

Wow man, the paint job looks PERFECT, you my friend have GREAT taste.

Can we finaly admit Torch Red is the best color ever made for the cobra?
I'm not going to argue with that. LOL.... :beer:

that looks great! you did an excellent job on that! You sir have one sharp cobra!!!!!!
Thanks. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread