painting your wheel wells

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
i see that detailing shops often paint wheel wells. anyone done this? if so what paint and proper procedure?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i used a black undrcoating made by 3M a long time ago on my 86 Z28 but i forget the name of it. it wasnt the thick stuff that flakes off though. basically just clean it really good and take a scotch guard pad and some comet to it to scratch the surface, clean again and then paint. of course you want to tape up too. im sure there are a million people here that will have a diff way so just pick the one you like the best.

blakedout

Established Member
i painted the inner fender wells... and they look awesome. what i did was i took my wheels off, cleaned the inner fender well with soap and a good scrubber to get all the dirt and crap out rinsed it and let it dry. as for paint i used a industrial gloss black to make sure that paint stays on for good... this actually makes your car look clean and lower instead of being able to see it all dirty inner wells and i think it looks awesome....

Azure03

Established Member
i painted the inner fender wells... and they look awesome. what i did was i took my wheels off, cleaned the inner fender well with soap and a good scrubber to get all the dirt and crap out rinsed it and let it dry. as for paint i used a industrial gloss black to make sure that paint stays on for good... this actually makes your car look clean and lower instead of being able to see it all dirty inner wells and i think it looks awesome....

What kind of paint did you use? My inner vener wells could use some touching up. Thanks for any input or advice

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member

Any pics?

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
i did before my last show, but if you use a gloss black, it will fade shortly after afew washes, at least thats what happend to mine. it still looks 10x better then factory. Right after it looked freaking sick, like the fenderwells were still wet after being washed. you can do like i did, and pull the front fender gaurds out and then wash and paint them its alot easier then painting them when on the car, the rear can not be removed.

Scott P

Established Member
Just make sure you mask off everything you don't want painted. Also be sure to properly prep the surfaces before painting. Improper prep will only cause that new paint to fail.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
i did before my last show, but if you use a gloss black, it will fade shortly after afew washes, at least thats what happend to mine. it still looks 10x better then factory. Right after it looked freaking sick, like the fenderwells were still wet after being washed. you can do like i did, and pull the front fender gaurds out and then wash and paint them its alot easier then painting them when on the car, the rear can not be removed.

That is a much better idea (to remove the front units before spraying them). I need to re-spray my rear wells with the black 3M rubberized coating/sound deadener material. When I'm done with that, I will apply a small coat to the (removed) front areas... ! I'm sure most of you have seen that even a brand new front fender well splash guards have a whitish silver mesh marks on them ... ! :(

Users who are viewing this thread