Panhard Bar anyone use one?

no1sirbutler

Established Member
Does anyone here run one on the street? I have noticed that when i take hard right turns, only my right rear tire spins. I was wondering if a panhard bar would take care of this. Also if you are running one, what brand and have you noticed any difference in ride and such from it?

Thanks for the info.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Does anyone here run one on the street? I have noticed that when i take hard right turns, only my right rear tire spins. I was wondering if a panhard bar would take care of this. Also if you are running one, what brand and have you noticed any difference in ride and such from it?

Thanks for the info.

Your OEM diff is shot! Get a Torsen T2R.

Panhard bars are for stick axles?!!? :read::idea:

Juruense

Banned
Panhard bar does not affect which wheel spins. It locates the axle and prevents left/right movement of the axle relative to the body.

This link has some really good information on the subject:
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

Most diffs are designed to do "one wheel spin" when going around corners to prevent binding and wheel hop on one side. I think what you are experiencing is normal and working as designed.

Both panhard bar and watts link are excellent mods for solid rear axle and will make a huge difference in handling.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Panhard bar does not affect which wheel spins. It locates the axle and prevents left/right movement of the axle relative to the body.

This link has some really good information on the subject:
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

Most diffs are designed to do "one wheel spin" when going around corners to prevent binding and wheel hop on one side. I think what you are experiencing is normal and working as designed.

Both panhard bar and watts link are excellent mods for solid rear axle and will make a huge difference in handling.

Diffs are desigend to slip a certain amount in order to allow a vehicle to traverse a turn. If you have a wheel (unloaded, inside) spinning on corner exit, your (posi) clutches are slipping. (and smoked) You can rebuild the OEM diff but I would not recommend it.

Torsen T2R FTMFW

FWIW

no1sirbutler

Established Member
I dont have this problem when i take hard left turns. Both wheels spin. Thats why I figured I needed a panhard bar.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You originally said this:

I have noticed that when i take hard right turns, only my right rear tire spins.

Now you say this:

I dont have this problem when i take hard left turns. Both wheels spin. Thats why I figured I needed a panhard bar.

If you have this problem it's a "loose" handling problem. Not a diff problem like in your OP.

Splain!?

no1sirbutler

Established Member
ac427cobra there isnt much to explain. when i take a hard right turn, my right rear tires spins and the left rear doesnt. when i take a hard left turn both tires will spin and the rear of the car will slide out if i push it hard enough. it wont on the left turn. this is why i asked about a panhard bar. if i need a new diff then ill get one but i also want to know about a panhard bar. esp if it causes any trouble for a mainly street driven vehicle.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Why is this in the Terminator Forum?

If you're looking for handling questions on a straight axle car, like the GT in your sig, then you would be better off posting in a section that has nearly all straight axle cars.

Also, don't ask for advice and then argue about the response when your answer comes from one of the more respected handling gurus on this site.

The problems you describe have to do with your differential needing either replacement or rebuilding. If you want to argue that your differential is fine then your car handles like shit and you need to address that through some suspension mods. It is really that simple.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
DOH! Silly me. I thought you were talking about a Terminator! This IS the Terminator section! :dw:

You don't have coil overs on the car or adjustable sway bar end links do you?

no1sirbutler

Established Member
wheelhopper--> sorry didnt mean to upset you ill try harder in the future. but if your not gonna help me then STFU!

ac427cobra--> i dont have coil overs or adjustable sway bar links. but i do have the hotchkis sway bar set. the rear actually does attach to the body of the car at the kick shock locations. dont know if this helps, but thanks for your help.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
wheelhopper--> sorry didnt mean to upset you ill try harder in the future. but if your not gonna help me then STFU!

ac427cobra--> i dont have coil overs or adjustable sway bar links. but i do have the hotchkis sway bar set. the rear actually does attach to the body of the car at the kick shock locations. dont know if this helps, but thanks for your help.

Well, from what I can tell (tell me if I'm wrong in my assumptions) your right side is unloading because you possibly don't have a passenger in your car, therefore the right side is lighter and one wheel is spinning. Regardless, if you do in fact have a posi diff unit, the clutches are bad.

When you make left hand turns the driver's weight is holding some more pressure on the left rear tire giving it a little extra traction.

There are SOOOOOO many possible scenarios as to what's exactly going on, it's difficult to diagnose on a message board with no personal exposure, video or anything.

If BOTH rear tires are breaking loose you either have A) a LOT of horsepower or B) real crappy tires.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
You know I gave you some good advice.

1. To go to a forum that would better suite your car
2. Based on the limited info you gave that your car either needed differential help or some suspension work.

Basically I gave the same advice as others, I guess you didn't like the way I gave it. No reason to get pissy tough guy.

no1sirbutler

Established Member
Well, from what I can tell (tell me if I'm wrong in my assumptions) your right side is unloading because you possibly don't have a passenger in your car, therefore the right side is lighter and one wheel is spinning. Regardless, if you do in fact have a posi diff unit, the clutches are bad.

When you make left hand turns the driver's weight is holding some more pressure on the left rear tire giving it a little extra traction.

There are SOOOOOO many possible scenarios as to what's exactly going on, it's difficult to diagnose on a message board with no personal exposure, video or anything.

If BOTH rear tires are breaking loose you either have A) a LOT of horsepower or B) real crappy tires.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

well i actually have pretty good tires but i dont think i have a lot of power. im at 352 whp and 361 wtq. and your right there usually isnt a passenger in the car. so im gonna get a new diff b/c a couple mechanics ive talked to said the same as you. but do you think a panhard bar is worth it for a street vehicle that sees very little track time? i love driving back roads that have lots of turns and want to be able to have more fun than the average car on the same road.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
well i actually have pretty good tires but i dont think i have a lot of power. im at 352 whp and 361 wtq. and your right there usually isnt a passenger in the car. so im gonna get a new diff b/c a couple mechanics ive talked to said the same as you. but do you think a panhard bar is worth it for a street vehicle that sees very little track time? i love driving back roads that have lots of turns and want to be able to have more fun than the average car on the same road.

352 is decent power. Plus you have an equal amount of torque. Nice numbers! :beer:

There are tons of things you can do to a stick axle to make it handle better. It's all a matter of how good do you want it and how much money do you want to spend. PHB, Watts Link, Torque arm, C/O's etc. etc. The big question is "Do you need it?"

It sounds to me like your diff is slipping so that needs to be fixed and your tires seem to be hard, old or overinflated.

IMHO I'd fix the deficiencies and then go from there. :thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread