Parents sue Target store over 11-year-old daughter's assault

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
Rant On: :mj: Where were her parent when this was happening! Why was this the stores fault? I just can not understand the need to blame everything that happens on the store, tv, movies, video games, fast food etc etc.! Don't parents watch their own kids anymore, pay attention to what they are doing and when?
Rant Off:

Parents sue Target store over 11-year-old daughter's assault

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — The parents of an 11-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted at a Target store in 2003 sued the company, alleging that inadequate security allowed the attack to happen.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday in Circuit Court names Target Corp. and Derrick Collier, the store's head of security.

The lawsuit argues that Target should have provided a highly visible and professional security force to prevent criminal assaults. It seeks unspecified damages.

Video from surveillance cameras on July 12, 2003, shows Allen Dwayne Coates stalking a girl and then leading her down an aisle by her wrist. Prosecutors at his trial said he pulled a knife and sexually assaulted her in two locations in the store.

Officials with Minneapolis-based Target declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit because they had not yet seen it. In a statement, they defended the way store officials responded.

The statement notes that company surveillance video led to Coates' capture and store workers helped provide for the "immediate needs" of the girl's family after the assault.

Coates, of Irvington, Ky., is serving a 25-year sentence in federal prison for crossing state lines to engage in a sexual act with a child. He must serve a 45-year sentence on state charges of abduction and sexual assault after completing the federal term.

The girls' parents are listed in the lawsuit only by their initials, G.W. and W.W.

Sleev-les

Established Member
Its because the majority of the world are dumb and greedy. that is what you have in this instance. any retail store doesnt have a visual security team. they have "loss prevention" its not security. and even they cant do too much. the parents should have been w/ their kid, target should sue them for negligence.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I bet their attorney is not Eddy. Why?
1. He can't get to work. :burnout:
2. His hands are tied suing Ford. :bash:
3. I'm an ass that likes funnin' with Eddy. :poke:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
It would be awesome if Target counter-sued for the parents lack of parental ability while shopping in their store and providing the sexual criminal with a potential victim.

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
It would be awesome if Target counter-sued for the parents lack of parental ability while shopping in their store and providing the sexual criminal with a potential victim.

I agree! I would like to see Target turn this around on them.

AtlanticBlue99

Super *********
Established Member
those parents cant accept responsbility. it is bs to blame a store when they should blame themselves first, then the abuser. the attack could have happened anywhere.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Greedy ass sumomabitches! People need to start owning up for their own effin' mistakes!

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
I agree that parent's should watch their young one's more...it's the "American Way" now to sue somebody for anything, the old $$$$$ signs were lighting up her parent's eyes...I just couldnt imagine though if that happened to my daughter and they caught the guy in the store, I would be in jail for murder.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Where was her parents?
But, maybe target should have better security?
It's a two way street, because while big brother is watching this happened TWICE.
To the parent's credit, most 10 year olds you can say "Go to the toy section I'll be there in a few minutes" and they can glefully run off and you can leave them for an hour in the toy section while you do your own shopping. A lot of parents (mine included) don't want to put up with nagging kids while you look at rubbermaid containers.

DET_SVT02

Established Member
I hate the people who sue as a career choice, but at the same time they sure as hell catch you shoplifting how come this wasnt caught on camera? Yet again it could have looked like a father just holding his daughters hand to many variables. No matter what its always the parents who are responsible dont blame others for your neglect.

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
To the parent's credit, most 10 year olds you can say "Go to the toy section I'll be there in a few minutes" and they can glefully run off and you can leave them for an hour in the toy section while you do your own shopping. A lot of parents (mine included) don't want to put up with nagging kids while you look at rubbermaid containers.

Your statement would be true 10 or 20 years ago. I dont know any right-minded parents today that would let their kid "hang out" in a section of a store while they shop. And the job of the parent is to be a parent to the kid even if that means dealing with their nagging. If the parent doesnt have the ability to control their child and get them to stop being rude/annoying, then they are not doing a good job of parenting. Its unfortunate that we have to worry about this kind of shit in the world today, but its reality. :nonono:

oldmodman

Established Member
And if they win the suit how much do you want to bet that the poor little girl never sees one dime of the money. The attorneys will skim their share off of the top and the parents will spend the rest on beer and lottery tickets.

ScreamingYellow

Established Member
AtlanticBlue99 said:
those parents cant accept responsbility. it is bs to blame a store when they should blame themselves first, then the abuser. the attack could have happened anywhere.

+1

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
gyacopetti said:
Your statement would be true 10 or 20 years ago. I dont know any right-minded parents today that would let their kid "hang out" in a section of a store while they shop. And the job of the parent is to be a parent to the kid even if that means dealing with their nagging. If the parent doesnt have the ability to control their child and get them to stop being rude/annoying, then they are not doing a good job of parenting. Its unfortunate that we have to worry about this kind of shit in the world today, but its reality. :nonono:
hmmm, maybe you're right.
Sad, I used to have a lot of freedom as a child. I haven't been that young in at least 8 years however

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
hmmm, maybe you're right.
Sad, I used to have a lot of freedom as a child. I haven't been that young in at least 8 years however

It is sad. The other day I was driving with my dad in our town and I saw a girl, maybe 8 years old riding her bike by herself down the street. It was probably 7:30 pm and I blurted out "whats she doing out by herself right now." My dad said he was thinking the same thing then we both kinda shook our heads when we realized that was the first thing that came to our minds...pretty crazy world

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
gyacopetti said:
It is sad. The other day I was driving with my dad in our town and I saw a girl, maybe 8 years old riding her bike by herself down the street. It was probably 7:30 pm and I blurted out "whats she doing out by herself right now." My dad said he was thinking the same thing then we both kinda shook our heads when we realized that was the first thing that came to our minds...pretty crazy world
Yeah... crazy.
We live in a quiet little neighbourhood, somewhat isolated, but even then the kids don't have as much freedom as I enjoyed.

Steeltwo

Established Member
people are quick to point the finger now adays.

but when is it the worlds responsibility to take care of your children?

when i was a kid
i slipped and fell outside of stores, stepped on a chain that was suspended a few feet up and went ass over tea kettel landed hard on my back and was messed up for a few minutes.

but not once did my parents even think of filing a lawsuit. Because they were there to make sure I do not get hurt or get in trouble. Your parents are called parents for a reason. THEY PROTECT YOU FROM HARM.

in this case it is easy for those parents to be pissed at Target. Simply because they do not want to blame themselves for this horriable incident.

the next thing we're going to see is some stupid bitch talking on her cell at a crosswalk and her kid runs into traffic, gets nailed by a speeding motorist and , the driver gets sued.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
See. Thats the problem just about everywhere especially here in WV. The use of lawsuits to get rich is the way to go for a lot of people. We even have groups that go out and try to help companies fight lawsuit abuse. A lot of people have gotten rich over the years here in WV like this. If they should win:

a: The money should be in trust for the little girl. She's the one who suffered.
b: Parents should have NO ACCESS to the money. Guardian should administer.

But thats not the way. Parents will get the money and spend it on all themselves, whether it would be for drugs, cars, gambling and such. We see it here all the time. In the end kids end up with hurt and suffering and nothing to show for it. I think the
parents should take the blame not the business. People want low prices so the business has to go less on something so alot of time it is the security or personel to walk the store and check on things. I can remember when people did not complain on the price of stuff and when you walked in the store you would be hounded by sales clerks until you left. It was awful. Times have really changed because people want to be left alone to shop and not be bothered by sales people.

Users who are viewing this thread