Part throttle hesitation

92stanglx

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra that is pretty much stock except for a CAI, Bassani X-pipe, and Bassani cat back.

Just recently I noticed a slight hesitation at part throttle. Car runs great when you get on it.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

92stanglx

Established Member
Car has around 13.5k miles. To my knowledge the car has never been tuned up. I have only had it for around 3-4 months.

Seems to be worse in 1st-3rd gear.

Also, it just started happening. I haven't changed anything on the car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
NGK TR6 gapped at .030 should do the trick.

fouled out plugs are very common with boosted cars. IMO its the #1 thing to look for when troubleshooting part throttle driveability, idle, throttle response, etc.

92stanglx

Established Member
Changed my plugs to NGK TR6's (.32 gap) and cleaned my MAF. I also noticed that my air filter had come loose (K&N FIPK).

Now the car runs much better :thumbsup:

I did notice there was a little bit of oil in the intake tube. Is this normal?

eludercobra

Established Member
Changed my plugs to NGK TR6's (.32 gap) and cleaned my MAF. I also noticed that my air filter had come loose (K&N FIPK).

Normal if you don't have a pcv oil seperator.

hotcobra03

Established Member
problem?

did the plugs fix your problem? you only say it runs better,,,as to the oil in intake ,,was it dripping out the throttlebody?or just moist behind the throttle blade?
i ask cause i really drive my cobra,,it has 229k on it and ive had the head tick problem that my first signs of it going was oil in the throttle body..mine started being black ,than moist oil,than dripping out,, i also dont have a seperator but its been 15k since i redid the head and its still stopless inside

TVSCobra

Established Member
I was going to suggest checking for a vacuum leak, but it looks like you found a loose clamp:) When the search function comes back up, search for oil separtors. You can biuld one for about 15 bucks from Lowes. I would also suggest a JLT pre-filter.

92stanglx

Established Member
did the plugs fix your problem? you only say it runs better,,,as to the oil in intake ,,was it dripping out the throttlebody?or just moist behind the throttle blade?
i ask cause i really drive my cobra,,it has 229k on it and ive had the head tick problem that my first signs of it going was oil in the throttle body..mine started being black ,than moist oil,than dripping out,, i also dont have a seperator but its been 15k since i redid the head and its still stopless inside

My problem seems to be fixed. I changed my plugs but also cleaned the MAF and my air filter was literally almost falling off so it could have been one of those three things.

The oil was just inside the intake pipe by the hose that comes from the valve cover. It was pretty minimum. I just noticed there was something inside there when I pulled it off to clean the maf and wiped it with a paper towel (thought it might be some excess maf cleaner) and noticed it was oil. There was none on the throttle body itself.

hotcobra03

Established Member
good

hey thats good to hear it was a spot of oil...fwiw mine is stock and ive tryed a couple types of plugs and mine runs the best with the oem #12 plugs gaped at .35,,,my sticker sayes 42-46 and it runs like crap thier...mine is a first run cobra,,,

Users who are viewing this thread