Parts to fix loose / sloppy driver's seat?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
A few thousand miles ago (probably around the time I removed the seat to install a new clutch quadrant), my '04 developed a little play in the seat. It rocks back and forth a tiny amount--it's not huge but it's noticeable and audible. I checked the four mounting bolts and they're all tight, so I removed the seat and then removed the tracks and tightened all of the bolts. The problem hasn't improved, and may even be a tiny bit worse.

I found this old thread that talked about wear in the seat tracks: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?83676-Loose-driver-s-seat

I did a little Googling and found seat tracks at Late Model Resto. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Seat-Tracks-And-Components They are not exactly cheap and I'd like to make sure I get the right parts so I don't waste time and money changing out stuff that won't fix it.

Those of you who've fixed your loose / sloppy driver's seat or who are experienced with it, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
It's not a problem with the frame flexing, it's the seat track itself that's got the slop in it.

I actually wish I just had a manual seat--power is pretty much pointless since I never move the seat once it's set.

cj428mach

Established Member
Are you sure you got the bolts tight? My old SB car had slop in the seat when I got it, the car had 78k on it when I picked it up so I just assumed it was wear. Finally one day after getting out of the car and being annoyed by the squeak one last time I looked and noticed the front bolts were loose. A few minutes with a wrench and she was as good as new.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I started by tightening the four bolts that mount the chair to the chassis, and they were already plenty tight with no slop between the mounts and the track. I then removed the seat and tightened every single bolt I could find on the bottom--as tight as I felt I could go without risking breaking anything. No improvement.

Then I started Googling and found others with the same problem, so I knew it wasn't me.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Yeah i have it too. Very slight. I took my seat out to do aquadrant too. A few months later i felt it. I thought bolts came loose. Check they are tight as can be. I think its just play in the seat bracket itself.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Same issue here with 87k, started about 10k ago. Have had FLSFC on the car since it was new. Tightened bolts down and no fix. Agree with the manual seat comment.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I wonder if the passenger seat base (the part that bolts to the body) is compatible with the driver's seat. Then I could buy a spare passenger seat and swap bases to give myself a manual driver seat.

speedoflife

Established Member
Almost everyone has the problem. Even GTs. It's the track. Only fix I know is replacement. :(

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
If ford even makes the track any more im sure its $300-$500 bucks. Not worth it at this point for me. If it ends up getting worse ill just go manual track or something.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Everytime I hit the gas I get that annoying movement in the seat and I don't see a loose or missing bolt. I've got to get this fixed before something else on the seat breaks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread