Passed CA smog this morning

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Thought people might be interested in the results. This is the first smog I've had to do since it was purchased new

Car has a Magnaflow catted X and Magnaflow cat-cack.
Stage IV with BF 2.93
Accufab TB and plenum
K&N FIPK
SamBandit tune
HC was at the limit and the car was not that hot. First time it's been driven in a few months. Not too bad.

smog.jpg

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Didn't even look under the car. Shouldn't matter though. It's legal in CA to replace them if they have been damaged or if they have over 50k on them/5 years old. Haven't heard of anyone failing visual with a Magnaflow catted X. I was actually worried about the sniffer.

jimbob8915

Established Member
My car smogged "as is" about a month ago. Granted I still have stock cats but was afraid sniffer or visual would fail.

divided

Established Member
Didn't even look under the car. Shouldn't matter though. It's legal in CA to replace them if they have been damaged or if they have over 50k on them/5 years old. Haven't heard of anyone failing visual with a Magnaflow catted X. I was actually worried about the sniffer.

You have a source for that info? That doesn't sound right at all.

racebronco2

Established Member

I want to go to your smog guy, from what i have read is that you can replace them when they are damaged but you cannot change the location. The catted x does not have 4 of them.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
I just used my Bassani catted x. I removed the bassani cats and used the magnaflow hiflow cats. They didn't even check the bottom. Granted my smog guy drives a mustang hehe.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
No emissions testing for me....:banana:

If you put less than 6,000 miles a year on your car in MO you don't have to. I'm shure the law was meant to help out senior citizens, loop holes, gotta love'em!

Cobreezy

Established Member
I was at the limit for "HC" as well, but for both 15 mph and 25 mph. I guess the next time I smog I need to put the stock cats back on. Not looking forward to that. :fm:

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
I was at the limit for "HC" as well, but for both 15 mph and 25 mph. I guess the next time I smog I need to put the stock cats back on. Not looking forward to that. :fm:

The bassani that I have is a breeze to swap they are bolt on cats and I just did the same with the magnaflows.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That is very interesting information. I wonder how carefully CA inspection stations check the location of new cats. I mean, how would they know the difference in location unless the inspectors had a schematic showing the physical location (with dimensions relative to nearby body parts).

Seems like it is a law that might be a bit tough to enforce. :??:

Users who are viewing this thread