Passed my Multi Engine Commercial Instrument Checkride Today!

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Passed my FAA Multi Engine Commercial Instrument Checkride today out here in Indiana! So happy to finally get it out of the way. Have been waiting around 3 weeks due to instructor availability as well as bad weather. Was around 1 hour of ground discussion and just over an hour of flight. Most of the Multi Engine Checkride is heavily centered around single engine operations or an engine failure (both during your ground discussion and flight). We simulate an engine failure on takeoff, and are required to accomplish at least one landing with an engine inoperative. We also simulate flying an Instrument Approach under Instrument Conditions (this is when you cannot visually see outside, think flying in the clouds, and we rely solely on electronic navigational aids as well as our Flight Instruments to land). Among other things we practice some basic maneuvers and potential abnormal situations such as a failure of the landing gear to extend.

(Disclaimer: Yes this plane is lighter than a Hellcat!) :D

Attachments

• IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4608.JPG
    IMG_4608.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
congrats man. I have dreams of my pilots license.

What did it cost you all said and done with flight hours, classes, ect

_Snake_

Established Member
Congrats man! My father-in-law is an IP and I know this is a HUGE accomplishment!

Beer is on me if you ever fly into Tampa - Sarasota.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
congrats man. I have dreams of my pilots license.

What did it cost you all said and done with flight hours, classes, ect

You can go about training a lot of ways, I'm doing it through college here at Purdue, but you can also do it through a normal flight school. That is how I did my Private Certificate. I have done 4 check rides, 1 back home (Private) and 3 here at school (Instrument, Multi-Engine, and Commercial), and another one here this coming summer (Flight Instructor). You need a minimum of 40 hours (most people take their test at 50-60) to qualify for your private certificate, but $$$ wise usually you'll come out to around $7-9k all said in done if you fly 50-60 hours (ball park figure, varies with school, type of aircraft, etc). If you get your private, I would also highly recommend getting your instrument as well. It greatly improves your decision making, and absolutely 100% forces you to think ahead of the airplane which is extremely important. Unfortunately, that is around another $7-9k at your normal flight school.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Congratulations @Ford>Chevy!

It's nice having that big hurdle/milestone behind you. I got my private pilot's license and then joined the Air Force where I got most of the rest of my ratings. I did get my ATP in a Piper Seminole that barely flew on 2-engines and I darn near had to emergency land in a field during my checkride after I shut one down and couldn't get it restarted! The FAA dude jumped in to help and worked on restarting it while I set up to do an "off-field landing." We were quite low when it finally lit off... exciting time!

I am now a Boeing 757 captain for FedEx.

Keep building your hours, get all of your ratings, avoid things like DUIs/arrests and you'll be golden! I have a 17 year old son that will be doing what your doing very soon.

Congrats again!

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Congratulations @Ford>Chevy!

It's nice having that big hurdle/milestone behind you. I got my private pilot's license and then joined the Air Force where I got most of the rest of my ratings. I did get my ATP in a Piper Seminole that barely flew on 2-engines and I darn near had to emergency land in a field during my checkride after I shut one down and couldn't get it restarted! The FAA dude jumped in to help and worked on restarting it while I set up to do an "off-field landing." We were quite low when it finally lit off... exciting time!

I am now a Boeing 757 captain for FedEx.

Keep building your hours, get all of your ratings, avoid things like DUIs/arrests and you'll be golden! I have a 17 year old son that will be doing what your doing very soon.

Congrats again!

Hey thanks so much Goose!

Ya it really was nice to get this behind me. Also nice to have it in the high 30's instead of the 90's with high humidity to improve the already "marginal," climb performance not to mention with full fuel and the examiner and I on board we were only 140 pounds under gross weight haha, not fun. What a blast it must be flying the 757 now, quite the different performer than the Seminole huh? :D Thanks again, and cheers!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Hey thanks so much Goose!

Ya it really was nice to get this behind me. Also nice to have it in the high 30's instead of the 90's with high humidity to improve the already "marginal," climb performance not to mention with full fuel and the examiner and I on board we were only 140 pounds under gross weight haha, not fun. What a blast it must be flying the 757 now, quite the different performer than the Seminole huh? :D Thanks again, and cheers!

You'll see when you start flying modern twin-engine jets. They are waaaaay overpowered, which is fun! They have to be able to do a max gross weight V1 cut (lose an engine on takeoff at liftoff speed) and still get airborne/fly on the remaining engine. When both motors are spinning, you have a bunch-O-thrusties! An empty plane with a full-power takeoff is a friggen rocket ship.

You have an exciting future ahead of you. Pm me if you ever have a question or would like some career advice. Just make sure you follow the path that gets you to the left seat of a multi-engine turbine aircraft the quickest. It's all about "multi-engine turbine PIC time." Once you build those hours, you will be marketable for the majors.

Users who are viewing this thread