Passenger side valve cover leaking

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Ok, I'm having problems sealing my passenger side valve cover. It's leaking in the back and dripping down on the exhaust manifold. The shop were I'm taking it has fixed it twice and today when I got home I smelled oil burning again. I got up under the truck and saw a small wet spot right below the valve cover in the rear. Have any of you guys had this repeating problem? If so, what did you do? The last time I took it to the shop they said they put on Ford gaskets and sealant. What's up, why won't it seal?:shrug:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i vaguely recall this being an issue right from Ford on some trucks with weeping valve cover gaskets.

still running the stock heads and valve covers?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont remember if the guys on lightningrodder had a fix for it or not.

i wanna say it probably involved snugging the vc bolts down a hair tighter but it might be worth doing a search for it

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Have you modified the crankcase ventilation system? If not, are you replacing the gaskets with factory or aftermarket? Try replacing the valve cover itself since this one may have a hairline crack in it. When did you first notice the leak, before or after any modifications or engine work?

The factory valve cover bolts have shoulder stops on them to prevent over tightening. Doubt that a loose bolt is the problem.

One last thing you may not want to believe, it is most likely the dreaded head gasket leak, common on the 5.4. I have seen guys damn near go bald pulling their hair out over what they thought was a leaky valve cover and ended up finding out the head gasket was leaking. There is an oil passage between the piston and the outside of the head in the exact area where your leak is, just something else to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread