Passing inspection with no cats

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
Anyone in Mass have any luck passing inspection without the cats on the car? Got rejected and now trying other options before throwing a hi flow cat on there. I’ve read mini-cats/O2 defouler may help but not sure. There is no check engine lights on. My tuner sent me an update and I purchased a handheld OBD scanner to make sure everything is ready before heading back to the inspection bay but still no luck. Hoping someone else has been in this position and found an easier solution. Thanks guys.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Anyone in Mass have any luck passing inspection without the cats on the car? Got rejected and now trying other options before throwing a hi flow cat on there. I’ve read mini-cats/O2 defouler may help but not sure. There is no check engine lights on. My tuner sent me an update and I purchased a handheld OBD scanner to make sure everything is ready before heading back to the inspection bay but still no luck. Hoping someone else has been in this position and found an easier solution. Thanks guys.
Is this a visual inspection that its failing? Or did it fail the OBD test for having the rear O2s turned off?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Is this a visual inspection that its failing? Or did it fail the OBD test for having the rear O2s turned off?
+1 Pretty easy to find a place to look the way if it passes through the computer. Id guess Mass would be like NY if not worst. Need em on, a lot of tuners get lazy and just turn em of. At 13-14 I doubt you can have any off.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I passed in MA last year, but my 98 is exempt from emissions. I passed the visual though. He just didn't look.

Where in MA are you?

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I passed in MA last year, but my 98 is exempt from emissions. I passed the visual though. He just didn't look.

I've gone to 4+ shops including Midas who pass a V6 auto, with a cammed V8 4V manual. Think you can the difference. As long as they can plug it and it passes no one usually gives a ****.

Fail you for tint through. Dunno what thats about.

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
Cats may not solve the OBD issue believe it or not. Do you have headers?

Can you swap the exhaust back to stock and roll back into modded once it passes?
No headers. I could swap it back for stock but I’m trying to avoid having to keep swapping pipes.

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
I've gone to 4+ shops including Midas who pass a V6 auto, with a cammed V8 4V manual. Think you can the difference. As long as they can plug it and it passes no one usually gives a ****.

Fail you for tint through. Dunno what thats about.
That’s the problem. Not passing when plugged. No issues with visual as they’re not checking under

Tezz500

Established Member
No headers. I could swap it back for stock but I’m trying to avoid having to keep swapping pipes.
If its an OBD issue, youre going to have to run a tune that allows the rear O2s to be on and not throw a code. The easiest way to achieve that is to swap the pipes and tune and go back to your previous mods afterwards.

I dont even know if you can skirt that with a sympathetic shop since its recorded on the Scanner.

Tezz500

Established Member
Go the spark plug non fouler route and see if it gets you there. With no light on, I don't understand how it's failing though.

The OBD scan can actually look and see if your emissions equipment is turned on or not. Most tunes turn off the rear O2 sensors. If you do not have cats, that’s why you don’t throw a code, but if they are turned off inspection will find that and you will fail.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The OBD scan can actually look and see if your emissions equipment is turned on or not. Most tunes turn off the rear O2 sensors. If you do not have cats, that’s why you don’t throw a code, but if they are turned off inspection will find that and you will fail.

That's how my car is setup but again, I guess I passed because of the 15 year exemption in MA.

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
this is what I’m working with…

Attachments

• 81330296-09C9-424E-9CE4-500ACEBAEF62.jpeg
    81330296-09C9-424E-9CE4-500ACEBAEF62.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 64

svt662

Established Member
Years ago you could just plug another car into the system but since they installed cameras it makes much harder these days.

Users who are viewing this thread