passing smog in CA?

RedSnake_99

Established Member
so i currentley have bbk longtubes and an off road h. its how i bought the car a while back. i have to get a smog sometime soon and im reading different things online about what is legal and what is not. if i have longtubes with a catted shorty h can i pass a smog? or do i have to take the longtubes off and put a full length catted mid pipe on?

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
If California does visual inspections you will fail.

Cats and 02 sensors are moved from the factory location.

Have your tuner write a smog passing tune.

Stanger00

Established Member
First off wrong forum.

Yes, your car will fail visual and the sniffer test.

Shorty headers and stock mid pipe will pass a SMOG inspection no problem as long as your other emission equipment is in working order.

From what I can tell since January this year SMOG stations are looking to make sure all emission monitors within the ECU are 'Ready' so make sure the rear o2 sensors are turned on. Better yet put the car back to its stock tune.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
After you get it to pass, register it in one of the few counties in CA that don't make you do smog testing ever 2 years. I smog my cars when they're new, then do what I want.
:read: ;-)

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys..

@ stanger, says anything about the law in the description of this forum?

Well, should of thrown in a question asking if your car would get impounded for having non CARB stamped parts on your car. I think that would be more along the lines of a 'law' question.

Otherwise this should of went in the 'A taste of home' sub-forum.

Users who are viewing this thread