Paxton and Boss intake

stang910

Established Member
Anybody running a Boss intake and Novi 2200 with the stock pulley? I thought the Paxton came pullied for 10psi, but the most I see on my car is 7psi and barley at that, it's more like 6.5psi @ 7600rpm. I've heard the Boss intake can lower boost pressure, but to drop 3.5psi seems like alot from an intake.

r.barn

Established Member
Anybody running a Boss intake and Novi 2200 with the stock pulley? I thought the Paxton came pullied for 10psi, but the most I see on my car is 7psi and barley at that, it's more like 6.5psi @ 7600rpm. I've heard the Boss intake can lower boost pressure, but to drop 3.5psi seems like alot from an intake.

PSI is not a measure of airflow. It is a measure of system back pressure. You increased system flow with a better intake, but kept blower cfm output the same so psi is reading lower.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
PSI is not a measure of airflow. It is a measure of system back pressure. You increased system flow with a better intake, but kept blower cfm output the same so psi is reading lower.

this, psi is just a measurement of restriction. Clearing up the flow into or out of the motor will lower your boost. Also, If you not a sea level you will notice some pressure loss as well. Here in Denver(5800ft above sea level) we lose a TON of boost, which we have to compensate for by using a smaller pulley.

stang910

Established Member
I know what boost is, but for the stock intake to produce 10psi on a stock pulley and my car to produce only 6.5psi either means the stock intake is a major restriction, I have belt slip, or the factory air box is a major restriction. Just seeing if I need to address an issue before I go down to a smaller pulley. I'm pretty sure the belt isn't slipping, but not sure if I need to get an open air filter before I turn the boost up with a pulley.

r.barn

Established Member
Put it on a dyno or better yet run it down the track with each intake and see what happens. I dont think 6.5psi is out of line.

stang910

Established Member
Going to the dyno next weekend. Then I'll be heading to the track after mustang week. I'm just thinking really hard about getting a 3.25" or 3.33" pulley before next weekend since I'm right under 7psi now. I'd like to be around 10-12 psi when all is said and done, I'm pretty sure that would put me over the 700rwhp mark.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
paxton you will normally see around 7

the vortech you will see 8-9

the vortech comes with a smaller head unit, so needs more boost to achieve the same power level on a base kit

Users who are viewing this thread