Paxton

grey5.slow

Established Member
I've made up my mind to go with the Paxton kit. I was looking at the torque booster add on. Can some one explain to me what it does and how it works? Also will the paxton kit fit on a holley sniper manifold or do I need to put the stock one back on? If I decide to go e85 what else will I need to purchase. I have a 2012 stock bottom end so I'm limited with that for now. 6r80 trans.

PC03GT

Established Member
Torque booster is a smaller pulley on the supercharger so it spins faster, but you have a wastegate to keep your boost to a certain psi, usually around 8 to 10 on a stock motor. Not sure about the manifold. You can do a boost a pump and some ID 1000s for the e85

grey5.slow

Established Member
Torque booster is a smaller pulley on the supercharger so it spins faster, but you have a wastegate to keep your boost to a certain psi, usually around 8 to 10 on a stock motor. Not sure about the manifold. You can do a boost a pump and some ID 1000s for the e85
Thanks, does it help spool up faster then it would without it?

PC03GT

Established Member
Thanks, does it help spool up faster then it would without it?

Exactly, boost comes in faster than with a stock pulley. It changes your powerband and gives you more torque. I'm debating myself to go to a 3.33 pulley or sell everything and go turbo

Last edited:

grey5.slow

Established Member
Running a 150 shot now. It's a headache just trying to get bottles filled and bottle pressure right all the time. It's my DD so don't want to go to crazy. If you decide to sell let me know. It will be a few months before I pull the trigger on ordering a kit

Gruca

Established Member
I have a Paxton with a 3.33 pulley and waste gate set to 10psi. If I could do it over, I would've added the waste gate and the upgraded BOV when I first bought the kit instead of waiting until after the normal kit was installed. I gained about 80ft lbs of torque with the waste gate setup vs the 3.8 pulley that comes with the kit. My best time so far (I have a manual though so yours will be faster) is a 10.8@128 mph.

PC03GT

Established Member
I have a Paxton with a 3.33 pulley and waste gate set to 10psi. If I could do it over, I would've added the waste gate and the upgraded BOV when I first bought the kit instead of waiting until after the normal kit was installed. I gained about 80ft lbs of torque with the waste gate setup vs the 3.8 pulley that comes with the kit. My best time so far (I have a manual though so yours will be faster) is a 10.8@128 mph.

How did the car feel after the torque booster, was there a big difference?

deletednow2017

Established Member
We love our torque booster kit. The whole premise is to pulley down and have a wastegate maintain your boost within whatever limit you set. You'll have some lower end power gains. I can get you setup with a torque booster kit, paxton kit, and all you'll need is the driver mod. :) Let me know.

grey5.slow

Established Member
Thanks for the info yall. Definitely made my mind up. Paxton kit with wastegate. Logan is the kit always 5200 or is it just on sale now? Going to purchase it around March. Thanks

Gruca

Established Member
How did the car feel after the torque booster, was there a big difference?

It's hard for me to say because of the amount of tuning and data logging it took after the install. My first data log with the 10psi spring ended up causing knock up top, so I switched to the 7psi spring (the only step down possible with the spring combination you get) and the car was definitely slower. So after all the data logging for that, I hit the track and confirmed my car was slower. I put the 10psi spring back and, hoping the knock was caused by something like gas, finished up the data logging again, and the knock was all but gone. I had one degree at around 7,600 rpms. Since I never spin it that high outside of the track, I just throw some octane booster in when I run it down the 1/4.

So long story short, the car certainly feels faster, but it still doesn't "feel" as fast as a PD blower car. That is only because the power isn't instant like on those setups. A down shift and my right foot fixes that pretty quickly though. The drivability is still slightly off when going from part throttle (normal driving) to 3/4ths to full throttle. This isn't an issue with PD blowers and it annoys me for sure. Sean did an awesome job making it a lot better though. My gas mileage is for shit now though. When I'm REALLY trying to get the best MPGs possible, I struggle to hit 17mpg in 6th gear at 55 mph. I'm told its a hardware issue, but I'm not convinced. The previous tuner had me around 27-28mpg. The only difference was the Tial BOV. I've replaced the fuel pump and O2 sensors and nothing changed.

PC03GT

Established Member
It's hard for me to say because of the amount of tuning and data logging it took after the install. My first data log with the 10psi spring ended up causing knock up top, so I switched to the 7psi spring (the only step down possible with the spring combination you get) and the car was definitely slower. So after all the data logging for that, I hit the track and confirmed my car was slower. I put the 10psi spring back and, hoping the knock was caused by something like gas, finished up the data logging again, and the knock was all but gone. I had one degree at around 7,600 rpms. Since I never spin it that high outside of the track, I just throw some octane booster in when I run it down the 1/4.

So long story short, the car certainly feels faster, but it still doesn't "feel" as fast as a PD blower car. That is only because the power isn't instant like on those setups. A down shift and my right foot fixes that pretty quickly though. The drivability is still slightly off when going from part throttle (normal driving) to 3/4ths to full throttle. This isn't an issue with PD blowers and it annoys me for sure. Sean did an awesome job making it a lot better though. My gas mileage is for shit now though. When I'm REALLY trying to get the best MPGs possible, I struggle to hit 17mpg in 6th gear at 55 mph. I'm told its a hardware issue, but I'm not convinced. The previous tuner had me around 27-28mpg. The only difference was the Tial BOV. I've replaced the fuel pump and O2 sensors and nothing changed.

Thanks for the honest reply. My car runs pretty smooth now, I want to keep it that way

krhonn

Established Member
Gruca, are you having belt slip using the 3.33 pulley? There's talk that the 3.6 pulley will see the same boost level. Of course it won't see it as soon.
How does the tial bov sound?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Gruca

Established Member
Gruca, are you having belt slip using the 3.33 pulley? There's talk that the 3.6 pulley will see the same boost level. Of course it won't see it as soon.
How does the tial bov sound?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

No slip. I hit 10psi without issues. However, I had to run the belt for a bit with the pulley 3 spots inward and then once it stretched a little, move the pulley one spot outward. No slip. The 3.6 pulley might get you to 10psi, but the 3.33 with a waste gage will get you in boost sooner.

The Tial sounds awesome. It’s a love it or hate it thing though as it is pretty loud. You can adjust it if it’s too loud at cruising RPMs. I have mine set to where I don’t even hear it while at cruising rpms.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Gruca, you keep tempting me. Did you try the 3.6 pulley without wastegate before and go to the 3.33 with waste gate? I am still using the 3.80" and finally getting it running "right".

You hear the Tial before even getting into boost? Is that the 'whirring' at lower RPMs? Mine is super quiet with the standard BPV that came with the beefcake kit. I wouldnt mind it being louder...

Gruca

Established Member
Gruca, you keep tempting me. Did you try the 3.6 pulley without wastegate before and go to the 3.33 with waste gate? I am still using the 3.80" and finally getting it running "right".

You hear the Tial before even getting into boost? Is that the 'whirring' at lower RPMs? Mine is super quiet with the standard BPV that came with the beefcake kit. I wouldnt mind it being louder...

I went straight from the 3.8 to the 3.33 and wastegate. You’ll hear the tial when NOT in boost because it’s letting the extra air out. It’s certainly much louder than the crappy BOV that comes with the kit. Like I said, love it or hate it.

Here’s a video of my car and what it sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread