pedal placement

mizfitjon

Established Member
Was wondering if you guys like the pedal spacing, height, etc for "heel and toeing"? Im building a 68 mustang, but am using the modern pedals from an 01 mustang and made a templete from the firewall to set up the pedals in the exact location. I can easily change the spacing, height, etc if needed, i havent ever tracked a mustang so have no experience on how the set up works for it. Believe i read somewhere, people like to raise the gas pedal by switching it with a mach 1 i believe???? Let me know your all thoughts thanks!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Was wondering if you guys like the pedal spacing, height, etc for "heel and toeing"? Im building a 68 mustang, but am using the modern pedals from an 01 mustang and made a templete from the firewall to set up the pedals in the exact location. I can easily change the spacing, height, etc if needed, i havent ever tracked a mustang so have no experience on how the set up works for it. Believe i read somewhere, people like to raise the gas pedal by switching it with a mach 1 i believe???? Let me know your all thoughts thanks!

The best thing to do would be to make an adjustable bracket for your throttle cable like this:

http://www.trackdawgz.com/images/MODS/tempsender.JPG

I won't post the pic here because it's too big.

You have to remember you're going to have the brake pedal pressed down pretty far and you're going to want the gas pedal pretty much at the same level. A lot depends on your style of toeing the pedals and how close the brake and gas pedals are to each other. That is why I suggest the adjustable throttle cable bracket, then you can adjust the pedal infinitely.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mizfitjon

Established Member
Thanks for the good idea Bruce! But i would also have to fab up an adjustable stop on the pedal, so you dont full throttle and overly tension the cable. Easy enough. So everyone feels that the only problem is the gas pedal height? Spacings apart is fine for most people?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the good idea Bruce! But i would also have to fab up an adjustable stop on the pedal, so you dont full throttle and overly tension the cable. Easy enough. So everyone feels that the only problem is the gas pedal height? Spacings apart is fine for most people?

Typically I've found Mustang pedals to be too far apart that's why when I installed my pedal covers I cheated the brake and gas pedals to be closer together.

I've seen various pedal stop configurations. In my cars, I'm comfortable enough with my gas pedals that I know where full throttle is and I'm not going to try and put the pedal through the floor event when I'm passing a Z06. ;-)

FWIW

wheelhopper

Established Member
I found the pedals in my '90 to be pretty good. They need some minor refining, but not much. My '03 pedals I had to slightly bend the gas pedal arm up and over toward the brake pedal. It is perfect now. Just a little muscle and it was done. Funny thing is the worst for heel toe on all my cars is my '95R. Those pedals have an extreme amount of height variation and are also a further spaced than any of my other Mustangs.

All in all, I would install them in a stock configuration and adjust to fit your personal taste.

David Hester

Established Member
I road raced 3 different Fox bodies in SCCA. The gas pedal had a metal arm I could bend over toward the brake. The pedal covers on my 08 are pretty darn close so I haven't tried to move them.
John Baucom (John isn't real tall John Baucom Professional Race Car Driver EZeCom Ecommerce Software) was my road race instructor years ago. He told me all he did was bend his knee so the side of his foot was actually what he blipped with. I was doing that already, as I broke my ankle years ago racing bikes and don't have full movement in it anyway. Does scuff the upper part of my shoe, but I haven't worn a pair through yet.
I never understood the reasoning behind raising the throttle pedal. I always figured you wanted it beside the brake pedal when you depressed the brake, not where it was at rest.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
What's the true benefit of downshift-throttle-blipping in a transmission with synchros?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What's the true benefit of downshift-throttle-blipping in a transmission with synchros?

Having a transmission with synchros allows you to inadvertently downshift and let out the clutch without having the revs matched to the rear tires. This mismatch could cause a loss of traction and an unexpected spin at a most inopportune time. Rev matching the motor to the wheel speed will always result in a smooth transition of speed and the car's direction at turn-in.

mizfitjon

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Im just going to mount the clutch/brake assembly and have something depressing the brake and i will then fab in the gas pedal to be around the same height as the brake when its depressed. Was planning on this anyways, just was wondering if the spacing was to far apart, but doesnt seem like you guys are having problems reaching the gas to blip it.

David Hester

Established Member
Yeah, get the blip wrong, the rear wheels hop, and you go off backwards at VIR turn one at 140+.
Dan River comes up REAL fast when you are moving backwards on dew covered grass.
Don't ask how I know.
You can use pedal covers, if you don't like stock location.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The gas pedal metal rod on the 99/01 cars is soft enough that you can bend it wherever you want. I have tracked both and simply bent the gas pedal to the left and up to get better pedal placement to the brake pedal.

-Kevin

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Clutch pedal height

I have an '04 Cobra. I a good with the brake and gas pedal height, although they need to be closer together. My problem is the clutch pedal height. It is over an inch higher than the brake pedal. This makes left foot braking cumbersome. Is it easy to adjust the clutch pedal height to make it even with the brake pedal so that I can slide from one pedal to the other? The alternative would be to block up the brake pedal to the same height, but then I might have to alter my seat position.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Chris,

In my 99, I was never able to get the clutch pedal low enough for my liking either. I had the gas pedal where I wanted it using the "piece of rubber hose and zip tie method", but was never happy with the clutch.

What I did was spend an entire afternoon at CMP with an instructor several years ago doing nothing but left foot braking until I figured out what worked. Since the clutch was so high, what finally worked was to slide my left foot off of the dead pedal, bring my toes under the clutch pedal and then up onto the brake pedal. This allowed me to left foot brake without hitting my left knee on the steering wheel. Not optimal movements, but I have found that by knowing and feeling comfortable with this has allowed me to get in other cars and left foot brake regardless of clutch position.

Learning this way made it seem SOOO much easier to left foot brake my Z06 (which has even pedal placement).

-Kevin

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Keven, that's what I've been wanting. A day at the track just to practice LFB. I've gotten comfortable with the fine vs. gross motor control by LFB in my street automatic all the time and go-karting (Unk goes on about how the left leg is accustomed to using all it's gross motor control for the clutch and you need the develop the fine motor control that braking requires).
But I can't burn a whole session of times trying to work around the clutch placement that has continued to cause problems trying to LFB.

I'll try your trick next time out.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Greg,

You should come run one of our Asphalt Ventures "Advanced Driving Clinics". We have entire sessions designed for you to practice stuff like this. Which is nice because everyone else is trying them as well so you don't have to worry about getting run over when you are not running balls-out.

-Kevin

David Hester

Established Member
PFfffft Left foot braking is for shiftless people........:rollseyes

I don't like to use it, because what happens if you go off or have a spin in front of you and need to push in the clutch?
Where's your foot?

BTW, Kevin. I looked at the schedule for 2011. Are y'all not coming back to Nashville?

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
BTW, Kevin. I looked at the schedule for 2011. Are y'all not coming back to Nashville?

The Nashville event was purely for us to manage the track portion of ZCon. They move the event each year and they are going to be in Savannah in 2011. If we do their track day activities, it will be at Roebling. IF being a key word, we will have different agreements in place if we do it again. I did not like the confusion we had with too many chiefs being in charge.

For 2011, we are going to be doing more events at NCCAR. Since that facility was built for automotive research and does not allow racing, it kinda goes along with our core competency of providing in-depth driver skill training and advanced instructor training. Plus, they are cost-effective.

On topic... sorta ---

I had an interesting conversation with my oldest daughter at dinner. And since I am really into the mental side of driving, it was pretty cool introspective for me.

While eating dinner, we were watching one of the OCC episodes. She made a comment that she did not think I was "into motorcycles". (which in itself is funny because I have ridden motorcycles for 30 years and taken her for countless rides).

I replied that the people on this show used to argue too much and now that they were having a build-off, it was easier to watch and see the technical side of things without the endless bickering. I told her I have a great appreciation for people that can create designs and bring it to life. I commented that I was jealous of her and my sisters artistic abilities because I am a better troubleshooter and fixer than designer and creator.

She asked if I was "left hand dumb." I replied, "Yes, it is hard for me to do things with my left hand and left foot braking was hard for me to learn since it is stupid as well."

She then explained that I must be VERY left-brain controlled (as opposed to just some) and that explained why my left limbs were not as adept as my right limbs. She also went on to explain that less creative and more logical type people are MORE left-brain controlled than right-handed, creative type people like herself.

Soooo, to bring this full circle, I wonder if the more creative, artistic type people have an easier time of learning left foot brake control? And left-handed, right-brained people must have a real advantage, correct?

In either case, I told her she had 13 months before we proved her theory. I will have her at the track the weekend after she turns 16. That is a guarantee. Unless we start next month in the Target parking lot.....
:pepper:

-Kevin

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
LOL Good Luck!
My daughter is 24 now and I had to pull her out of the ditch at the bottom of our driveway last week. It was dark, but......>sigh<
She is a righty like her Mom and Dad BTW. ;^)

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
clutch pedal

Kevin, my other thought was to raise the brake pedal. I may be a little "left hand dumb", but I raced karts for 10 years and had to left foot brake. I also LFB my CTS (auto) when I get on it a little.
I have tried multiple ways (techniques) to skin this cat. I think it was getting my shoe hung up under the clutch going into Turn 10 at Summit Point over a year ago that convinced me to keep my feet above the pedals and not below them. I survived, but not my underwear. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread