penske or uhaul?

03cobrah

Established Member
hey guys i am getting out of the military soon and am thinking of doing a DITY move. does anyone have any kind of experience with these types of moving trucks? i plan on towing my cobra with a 10 foot uhaul but after doing some google searching i've been reading that uhaul has poor customer service and their trucks are pretty much crap. anyone have first hand experience on this whether it was good or bad?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Penske.

Not only are the rates/service better, but they replace the trucks after 3 years. Did one move from Colorado to Mass with a 24ft + car with no issue. Used them again last year for moving across state. Ironically passed two broken down Uhaul trucks during the last move. :lol:

Edit: Talk to a rep over the phone. Did that for the cross country move and they gave me a bunch of discounts.

tnuce10

Established Member
I helped a friend move his grandmother from Ft Myer to Columbus, Oh last november and she rented a Uhaul.

I can't comment on the cost but the truck was very new, ~15K miles, and the guys where we picked it up and dropped it off were both very nice and helpful.

cotchnobra

Established Member
doing a ditty move sucks. if you are moving from the local area it is a lot nicer to just have the military come pack all your stuff up and move it to the new place for you. I did it both ways when I was in the military and I definitely liked it when they moved my stuff. also if you have the military move you stuff you have a time period that they will store it till your ready for it. also the money that you think you might make during a ditty move is not that much and not worth it.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I used Penske when I moved to Ohio. The truck I rented was less than a year old and was a diesel. It also had the lift gate and not some gay ramp.

I did however get offers from Uhaul and Penske and used them against each other to get the lowest price.

20redfire03

Established Member
Id have to say uhaul as the back of the trucks are lower and when you have a full truck that makes a difference after loading and unloading the truck all day.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
doing a ditty move sucks. if you are moving from the local area it is a lot nicer to just have the military come pack all your stuff up and move it to the new place for you. I did it both ways when I was in the military and I definitely liked it when they moved my stuff. also if you have the military move you stuff you have a time period that they will store it till your ready for it. also the money that you think you might make during a ditty move is not that much and not worth it.

a partial DIY is the way to go. There's some stuff that I just don't want the movers to put their hands on so I moved a couple hundred pounds of stuff myself. It was kind of funny in retrospect that I had 9k worth of stuff in the back seat of a car that I bought for 600 bucks and is worth barely 2.

Stanger00

Established Member
I did a DITY but it was only 800 miles from AZ to Northern CA. Penske didnt have many coupons online or any deals at the time of my move. U-haul had the best deal out of all of the places I checked (Budget, U-Haul and Penske). I used the smallest truck they had that could tow my mustang with their trailer. Total weight with my mustang and all of my stuff was at 14k pounds and the truck only had a 5.4L engine...I asked for a diesel but they didnt have any or knew if any would be showing up in the time frame for my scheduled move.

03cobrah

Established Member

yah i understand what you're saying i just live in the barracks so i was just gonna go easy and have the gov move my stuff but i don't wan to drive the cobra from NC to TX because of the wear and tear on it when i can get just get it trailered. plus i plan on stopping by eric brooks to see if he can tune my car anyways and get more power. i don't plan on making money off of it just saving my car, the perk i see in it is keeping miles off of my car. i also don't want to be stranded on the side of the road because i decided to go with uhaul. so far from waht i've been reading penske keeps their trucks for no longer than 22 months

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I think Penske has a much newer fleet than U-Haul.
Every time I see one of the Penske trucks on the road it's only 1 or 2 years old.
U-haul on the other hand has some very old trucks that should have been retired many years ago.

The last time I used U-Haul we rented an old 26' GMC truck that had to be from the early to mid 90's.
They told us that we could only use it in the City as it was unsafe for highway use.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
If you live in the barracks first find out how much they will pay for a DITY move. Then once you figure how much they will pay you add up the miles you will be driving and divide that information by about 10 miles per gallon and then use that number and multiply it by 4 bucks or national fuel cost average. Then decide if there is enough money to be made or if you will be paying out of pocket. My truck fully loaded with mustang in tow got 8 miles per gallon but you have less stuff to move.

Something I did to make sure that I had max weight. I weighed the truck empty without the trailer hooked up at a certified scale. Then once I loaded the truck I hooked the trailer back up and loaded my mustang and filled the gas tanks. I made money on my move.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Which ever one you use make sure they have tie downs that will fit your tires. I was using a Penske truck but their trailers didn't have straps that would go over my tires so I had to use a U-Haul trailer back in 98 when I moved from DC to Texas.

if you are going to trailer your car do NOT cover it with a tarp. no matter how well you have the tarp tied down it will beat the shit out of your paint, ask me how I know.

they did NOT like it when I pulled up at U-Haul to unhook their trailer from a Penske truck LOL

03cobrah

Established Member
Which ever one you use make sure they have tie downs that will fit your tires. I was using a Penske truck but their trailers didn't have straps that would go over my tires so I had to use a U-Haul trailer back in 98 when I moved from DC to Texas.

if you are going to trailer your car do NOT cover it with a tarp. no matter how well you have the tarp tied down it will beat the shit out of your paint, ask me how I know.

they did NOT like it when I pulled up at U-Haul to unhook their trailer from a Penske truck LOL
rdj are you talking about ratchet straps? would that straps you are talking about be easily available for purchase at walmart if i needed them? never trailer a car before so i'm doing my research on that too lol

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
rdj are you talking about ratchet straps? would that straps you are talking about be easily available for purchase at walmart if i needed them? never trailer a car before so i'm doing my research on that too lol
no not ratchet straps. the flat bed trailers that they use have ratchet type straps that are webbed (for lack of a better word) that go OVER the tire and then ratchet down. if the strap doesn't pull down on either side of the tire it is too small. my cobra barely fit on the trailer with 17" tires 18" would probably be ok but if you have 19s or 20s you will have issues.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
How much crap can you possibly have in a barracks room?

I say have them ship all your stuff(if it wont fit in the stang), put masking tape along the front of your car if you care that much and enjoy the road trip! I put several thousand miles on my cobra on a 25 day leave(I was in Japan so i took my leave all at once) and it was awesome!

Stanger00

Established Member
I drove my Mustang from Texas to Delaware. Took a road trip from Delaware to California and back. Then I drove my Mustang from Delaware back to California when I got orders to Korea. I have a supercharged 2 valve mustang with an auto and 3.73 gears. I averaged 24-25 mpgs with it too.

A partial DITY move is the way to go with this move especially since you dont have furniture to move.

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
from maryland to just north of Dallas, Penske, truck had 500 miles on it, ran great, no problems, it had a ramp, but felt better on the road compared to the u-haul. u-haul is pretty decent though as long as you don't get an old unit. used their car haulers a few times, a little heavy, but not bad. used their enclosed cargo trailers twice....some of their reps are retarded though. I had a brand spankin new 08 silverado with the HD half ton package, 6.0, HD diff, transmission, radiator etc. the guy proceeded to tell me that it wouldn't pull their median enclosed trailer, that it would get slowed down severely because it would be too heavy....what a shmuck. my truck has an 11k towing rating and the trailer and all my stuff that was in it didn't weight 2k. I've pulled an old suburban with this thing....no problem.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I actually called all the companies and bid them out. Penske was the winner in most cases but it depended on what company was more desperate to get trucks to the area you were moving to. Spent a few hours one time calling back and forth between Budget and Penske till one of them gave me the best deal.

In my experience Penske always had a better / Newer truck to rent then the other companies.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Used Penske for my last move. My only complaint with them was they came back and charged me for $35 worth of a fuel with out my permission after I returned the truck. I did indeed fill it up before returning or what I thought was full....Pump shut off like it was full, meter read full but they claimed that they somehow managed to squeeze another 3 gals of gas in it....of course their charge is like $10/gal or something crazy like that......I was pretty irate about it, but what was done was done and at the end of the day it was a small amount of money...

Users who are viewing this thread