Phoenix vs Austin

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I posted here last year about how OP should try Texas. Well, I moved to Phoenix. And so far? I really like it. I found a great job with a great dealership making 3 more per hour than I was in California. And they OFFERED me that raise, I didnt have to beg for it.

Yes, its going to get hot here. Its been 90s here recently and while its warm, theres like no humidity. Felt absolutely fine. Summer here is sort of like winter back east; you stay inside where its climate controlled. Heres the thing: Youre not freezing your ass off, and youre not dealing with snow. There are PLENTY of fine girls here. ASU is in Tempe after all. Mill street is fun and there is plenty to do in Scottsdale. The desert is beautiful, monsoon season is amazing, best thunderstorms ive ever seen. NO TORNADOS OR HURRICANES.

San Diego is 6 hours away if you need a break. Prescott and Flagstaff are a few hours away and its a totally different world up there. Sedona is GORGEOUS.

Im bringing my beloved Scarlett into AZ this weekend and cant wait to meet some SVTP members here. A lot of cool cars here on the freeway and Im sure the car scene is off the hook.

Yes, cats for emissions check and 3 monitors passed. BUT you can do whatever the **** you want to do to your car. Just get a temp X or H pipe with high flow cats welded in for the check. Pull em off after.

I vote Phoenix, but you need to visit both before you move. I can tell you right now, there is a TON of industry giants here, a lot of defense contractors, finance, everything.

Famine

Established Member
Austin has changed so much in the last decade, it's a liberal sanctuary city. Lots of filth. I'd highly suggest you live as far as you're willing to drive to and from work. And don't buy anything D.R Horton, John Houston etc has built.

And TBH I don't suggest Texas period, I do love it because it's where i've always lived except 2 years in Colorado. If you haven't lived in 90% humidity 100 degree temps, it's absolutely freaking miserable if you work in the elements, miserable.

It was mid 90's in Colorado couple summers ago and over 120 at the pearce ferry takeout, and it felt like mid august Texas morning.
Yeah imagine all that but now in a tyvek suit applying stripper to an aircraft in a hangar without climate control and no breeze. I lost 8lbs of water weight one day in an 8 hour day.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The entire idea of Vegas makes my skin crawl. Reno apparently still has snow.

Also I'm not remotely confident I'd find work in Vegas.

I'm currently a Senior Buyer with automotive, fabrication and defense contracting background. I don't think that translates well into hospitality and entertainment.

from what ive heard, reno is a bit of a dump. snow isnt too far away from vegas.

there's an air force base near north vegas. and a few defense contractor companies that work there with them. my cousin works for general atomics and worked in vegas quite often.

and there's a number of automotive companies in vegas due to the sema show.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I live just outside of Austin. Your friends are right about the stuff they've raved about. Traffic does suck absolute horse dick 90% of the time though because the city is growing so fast and drivers suck as well but I think that's just about every city. You have to pass smog here. As far as humidity goes I guess it's all relative. I lived in East Texas most of my life and that was more humid to me. If you've never lived in the south then it probably is gonna be outrageously humid to you. There is usually a breeze most of the time in Austin and the surrounding areas so it makes it a lot easier to deal with heat and such. The hill country is quite nice. There's more than enough things to do and see in Austin.

Pretty much this! I lived in NW Austin|Round Rock area for 9 years and still miss it. Beautiful land and IMHO the most scenic part of Texas, its great if you enjoy being outdoors. . Central Texas gets hotter than east/south east texas, but it's generally drier/less humid, which I would take any day over the swamp heat we get in the Houston area during the summers. Traffic in any major city is going to suck, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, doesn't seem to matter...same shitty drivers, road work, etc...though I'd say Houston is probably the worst, thought I was going to need xanax after moving back to just drive in rush hour traffic.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Yeah imagine all that but now in a tyvek suit applying stripper to an aircraft in a hangar without climate control and no breeze. I lost 8lbs of water weight one day in an 8 hour day.

I can 100% relate. I'm a plumber and do residential new construction only and if we run water overhead its 130+ in the attic, and i'll generally lose 15 pounds on a top out. It's a battle every day to stay hydrated, it's always a losing battle. I eat gobs of mustard, I drink pickle juice, sqwinchers.

Once it hits 90 I don't drink any alcohol during the week, I workout 3 days a week, but it doesnt matter, 4 hours in 130-140 temps squatting down is tough. I'll get home and go to shower and take my socks off and get a cramp so bad in my thigh I cant even move, whatever position I can find quickly for it to ease up ill stay in, for sometimes 20+ mins. I've broken many bones and been badly burned and there's nothing worse then that particular muscle cramp.

Blown 89

Established Member
You have the opposite problem.... snow and cold.
No way no how would I trade the heat for that. And I work outside....in the sun....with no shade....and people expect me to run and exert myself in it. Hell no, I hate the cold.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
No way no how would I trade the heat for that. And I work outside....in the sun....with no shade....and people expect me to run and exert myself in it. Hell no, I hate the cold.
I hate the cold too. But I hate heat even more. I die every year at mustang week. The thing is, you can put more clothes on if your cold. You can only take so many clothes off when your hot.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I immigrated to Texas in1998 and have not looked back. Coming from D.C. I never noticed the humidity here because D.C. Was horrid. Houston humidity is the worst. Never been to AZ other than to just pass through. Good chance I will die here in Texas cause I ain't leaving by choice.

I will say that if you are a liberal stay the **** out of Texas we have enough of that shit here, don't need any more

Equalbracket

Established Member
I hate the cold as well, only had 13 days of freezing temps this year lol. i"m praying we dont have 100 degree days in early may, gonna be a lonnnng summer.

Just a few years ago I was working outside of Austin it was like a 106-108, and didn't bother me at all, now after being a dumb ass and thinking I could tough it out I fell out one day just passed out and haven't really been able to handle the heat as well since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread