PHP Spacer

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Hey guys! I plan on putting a PHP intake spacer on my Mach. I just have a few questions before i do. What do the spacers add? I have herd its lost torque from exhaust, but im not 100% sure. And how do they work? Thanks guys!

HamMach1

Established Member
Intake spacers actually give you back some of the torque you lose from a free flowing exhaust. When I installed mine, I didn't feel much of a difference BUT I could certainly tell she pulls better and smoother form the low end to mid range. I can't say much about up top because I'm not really up there.

It's a good product though. Mine's the 3/8th inch. How it works... not completely sure to be honest. I'm guessing that it allows for more air flow through the upper intake or something?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
It is a def. SOTP mod, and it is well worth the ~$100. The 'make up for loss' depends on the exhaust you have. an O/R midpipe is free flowing so it adds HP but loses TQ via loss of back pressure.

The PHP spacer adds ~12rwTQ, and only 3-4RWHP. It smoothens out the low and mid range as Ham stated. IMO, it is the best bang for buck bolt on you can do. And it's only a 30-40 minute mod. ANd that's mostly due to removal of shaker and removing bolts.

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
Sweet! Wait so there's different sized spacers? What size is good? Or best?

Screen name: Roy on the M1R makes different sizes. You can fit a 1/2 spacer under the shaker frame. A 3/4 inch will require removal of the hood isulation (For a JLT RAI)and modification of the shaker frame (For the TB). I have a 3/4 inch spacer. I went for the biggest to get as much tq back into my slowmatic as I could.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Huh, well i think im guna wind up getting the PHP spacer so 1/2inch. I hear there easy to do. ^^^

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The PHP is 3/8" (1/4" without extra gasket), Roy's smaller spacer is 1/2" (3/8" without extra gasket).

Go with Roy's spacer.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Screen name: Roy on the M1R makes different sizes. You can fit a 1/2 spacer under the shaker frame. A 3/4 inch will require removal of the hood isulation (For a JLT RAI)and modification of the shaker frame (For the TB). I have a 3/4 inch spacer. I went for the biggest to get as much tq back into my slowmatic as I could.

Whats M1R?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Both are good spacers...To be honest, if Roy was making his when I got mine, I'd have gone with his only because the extra 1/8" does help a tad. Roy is also a nice guy.

Nineonesix

Established Member
Ive been thinking about doing this, but im not to mechanically adventurous. Ive heard it involves removing fuel rails? I'd also like to paint my valve covers but hear thats a major pain too lol

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
If your not confident enough ask some guys on here how to do step by step. It worth the 45 min mechanic adventure thats for sure. lol, and im not completely sure what you have to remove since i still haven't picked my spacer up. But im guna do it myself, and gain some knowledge of my car. :rockon:

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
can someone provide me with Roys e-mail.. I am having trouble registering at Mach1registry. I e-mailed the moderator, so I will see what he says.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I just picked up the PHP spacer. im guna do the install on Saturday.

Ive been thinking about doing this, but im not to mechanically adventurous. Ive heard it involves removing fuel rails? I'd also like to paint my valve covers but hear thats a major pain too lol

And if you'd like i can take pics and i can post step by step directions on how to do the install ur self.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I just picked up the PHP spacer. im guna do the install on Saturday.

And if you'd like i can take pics and i can post step by step directions on how to do the install ur self.

I would go ahead and pick up a new EGR gasket. Unless you have a fairly low mileage mach. It may save you a headache of buying it in the middle of hte install if it tears.

If you have any questions on the install, let me know. I doubt you will, they are pretty simple, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
My Mach has about a little less than 13K miles. Pretty low miles i think. Whats a EGR gasket do, and where can i get one?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
My Mach has about a little less than 13K miles. Pretty low miles i think. Whats a EGR gasket do, and where can i get one?
YOu have to unbolt the EGR from the upper intake. WIth age/heat, etc. the gasket can stick pretty well. If that happens it's likely to rip as it's pretty much paper. It's only a couple of bucks at almost any parts store. Sicne you only have 13k miles on it though, you'll probably be fine.

Some EGR tune placements are better than others. THe important thing is taking your time putting the bolts back in only to be carefull not to strip the bolts. I have it several times and never had an issue, some people had issues. Nothing to freak out over, just be a tad more cautious not to force the EGR bolts, tis all. :beer:

Ya know..looking at your car and mod list, your car is similar to my old DSG. K and N CAI, Steeda front springs, stockers in the back, AFS 9" all around with 275/40 GSD3's, php spacer, UPR catted X pipe, and Borla stinger's. Never got to install the Alum DS or 4.30s I had for it. Brings back some memories. lOL

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
YOu have to unbolt the EGR from the upper intake. WIth age/heat, etc. the gasket can stick pretty well. If that happens it's likely to rip as it's pretty much paper. It's only a couple of bucks at almost any parts store. Sicne you only have 13k miles on it though, you'll probably be fine.

Some EGR tune placements are better than others. THe important thing is taking your time putting the bolts back in only to be carefull not to strip the bolts. I have it several times and never had an issue, some people had issues. Nothing to freak out over, just be a tad more cautious not to force the EGR bolts, tis all. :beer:

Ya know..looking at your car and mod list, your car is similar to my old DSG. K and N CAI, Steeda front springs, stockers in the back, AFS 9" all around with 275/40 GSD3's, php spacer, UPR catted X pipe, and Borla stinger's. Never got to install the Alum DS or 4.30s I had for it. Brings back some memories. lOL

Thanks man! Im guna have help for sure working on my car. Personally i have never done work by myself on this car before. I bought it from a guy in March that had most of the mods done at shops, and i have every single reciept for every mod on it. So im actually kinda afraid of working on it. lol. And as for as DSG's go. I love em!!! Sorry you no longer have ur's. But if i could go with any other color again i would choose Comp Orange all day long:rockon:!!!

Users who are viewing this thread