physics expertise: weight and roll ons

Cobra4pt6

Banned
the other night, when brent (98 mustang GT w/ 03 Gt motor full boltons) and the blown GSR went from a 40 roll, he thinks his 100lb g/f (passenger) slowed him down and he feels he should have won by 1 car.

i told him that 100lbs will noticeably affect him from a DIG, but according to the law of dimenshing returns, 100lbs from a 40 roll is technically gonna affect the car, but it's not going to make a noticeable difference and you're not gonna feel it, let alone 1 car length... it's similar to adding 2 horsepower to your car. it affects the car, but not enough where you'll actually feel it.....
now if you go from a 40 roll w/ 1000 extra lbs, yes it's gonna make a noticeable difference and yes you're gonna feel it.

anyone contradicts?

Cobra4pt6

Banned
that 100 pounds is being drug around a track....accel and decel, yeah it's gonna make a difference....

im talking on the highway, just 1 straight path from a 60 roll....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra4pt6 said:
that 100 pounds is being drug around a track....accel and decel, yeah it's gonna make a difference....

im talking on the highway, just 1 straight path from a 60 roll....

I will make a difference. How much? Only a stopwatch can tell you?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

chevysRslow

Established Member
I'd say 100 lbs is a much smaller variable than many of the others. For example, from a start, it's all about who launches better, who shifts better, who has better gearing, better tires, etc and then power/weight ratio.

From a roll, some of the above variables are reduced/removed but we're still only talking a power to weight ratio change of about 0.3 lbs/hp. Not very much...

Bottom line. He lost.

Users who are viewing this thread