pic of my Nitto's, are they still good?

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
I ordered 2 Nitto 555's (non DR) for the rear, but need to know if I should keep the current DR's. Do they still look like they have some life left in them?

1638DSCF0181.jpg

The left tire has a nail in it, can you plug DR's?

Also, for anyone thinking about DR's for a daily driver, you may want to skip this idea. I have driven in rain with mine about 10 times and it was no fun. The last time was on I-95 coming back from Myrtle beach. There were scattered showers and I ran into the rain doing about 75mph. The rear of the car lifted up and I was sideways for about 10 seconds with no control of the car. This scared the crap out of me and I do not scare easily. My friend riding with me could not believe I kept it on the road. After that moment I was convinced that these are not for a daily driver.

PoisonSnake

Banned
Buy new ones, those are done already. They are decent in the rain but definatley not at 75mph. I wouldn't go over speed limit with them in very low tread and get into boost. But not having DR's for a daily driver cobra is like saying don't pulley your cobra if it's a daily driver because it's damn near impossible to drive your car and 'get on it' in a pullied cobra with the stock garbage F1's.

TTA89

Established Member
Those tires work great for a daily driver, they are shot and with no tread ANY tire will hydroplane on the highway.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
I run Nitto DR's for daily driving, and BFG DR's on 10.5's for track use. The Nitto is an excellent choice for a daily driver, yours just happen to be exhausted. You may be able to get some track passes out of them but don't try to use them on the street anymore.

metaman

Established Member
Your not to far from the treads on those. When I had nittos I plugged them a couple of times and had no problems. Plug went in real easy with the soft rubber. But then again I could tell you its ok, and then it could fugg up on you.

03DOHC

Established Member
Those are in dangerous condition to be driving on the street with. I wouldn't plug a tire, but I would patch one.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
not trying to steal the thread but do you notice more wheel hop when they are that bald.... becuase mine are starting to get bald in the middle not as bad as that but pretty bald and it seems like mr. rabbit likes to come along at wot in first gear and it never hopped with these tires before they got kinda bald :shrug:

DontGetBit

Established Member
I have some more tires on order. I went with the regular 555's this time until I get a pair of wheels for some DR's. I will be sure to give them a good workout before turning them in.

Yes, the wheel hop comes back when they get this bald.

DontGetBit

Established Member
Got some new tread today, but I stuck with regular 555's until I get another set of wheels. The guys at Discount tire asked me to pull my car in the bay and wanted a little show with the slick DR's. Lets just say they now have a nice set of stripes in front of the building now.

As for the old DR's, they actually had 10,000 miles on them. I did not realize that they had that many miles on them.

Users who are viewing this thread