Pic of the new head from Ford

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Crazy, I just talked to Matt at SVT he said adamantly that the thread count is the same and always has been the same. Can somebody take a picture of the difft threads from the old head to the new head? He said the only alteration is the cooling passage. What do you think, I clearly will not be getting a new passenger side head.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Crazy, I just talked to Matt at SVT he said adamantly that the thread count is the same and always has been the same. Can somebody take a picture of the difft threads from the old head to the new head? He said the only alteration is the cooling passage. What do you think, I clearly will not be getting a new passenger side head.
That blows my mind how some people swear the new thread count is 9, while others swear they're only 4. How will we know FOR SURE?

Willie

Established Member
Okay, here's the latest. I dropped off the car yesterday (04-05-05). I was hoping to talk to the Ford engineer but never got the chance. Basically, they said to leave it and "we'll call you".

I got the call this morning (04-06-05). "There's nothing we can do for you. Intake and exhaust modifications. We heard nothing other than 'normal' engine sounds." Somehow, I'm not surprised. So, any suggestions on what I should do next? Another dealership maybe?

My '03 is stock except a Borla cat-back and CAI.

Willie

Last edited:

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Willie said:
Okay, here's the latest. I dropped off the car yesterday (04-05-05). I was hoping to talk to the Ford engineer but never got the chance. Basically, they said to leave it and "we'll call you".

I got the call this morning (04-06-05). "There's nothing we can do for you. Intake and exhaust modifications. We heard nothing other than 'normal' engine sounds." Somehow, I'm not surprised. So, any suggestions on what I should do next? Another dealership maybe?

My '03 is stock except a Borla cat-back and CAI.

Willie
What a fraud, if you actually do have the true "tick." You should have re-installed your stock intake before you dropped the car off(if you had it). A cat back exhaust doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the tick, but as I stated earlier, Ford is looking for ANY reason do avoid these headswaps. I'm not so sure another dealership would do any better, it doesn't hurt to try. :shrug:

Willie

Established Member
Good news (kind of)! I called Matt at SVT prior to picking up my car. He seemed "on the edge" on this topic. I betcha he's sick and tired of talking about it. I was calm throughout the entire conversation. I asked him some general questions about the TSB. He told me that yesterday, he checked the part number of the head listed on the TSB I had installed in January (P/N 3R2Z-6049-GA) and it is no longer available, that it is superceded by the latest and greatest P/N (2C5Z-6049-BAB).

I took this information to the dealership and talked to their service director. Again, calm and collected. I told him two facts as I know them:

1) If the second generation head I received in January was the answer to the tick, why did SVT release a third generation? I told him my tick came back with a vengeance only two days after this head was installed. I could now hear the tick 20 feet away. With the original head, I could only hear it on my hands and knees at my wheelwell.

2) Today, if the dealership orders the the second generation head as per the TSB, this P/N is superceded with the third generation head. You WILL get the newest head!

The service director made the phone call(s) and verified my story. He then called the parts department manager and asked him to order the head (note singular) and all other parts required to complete the job.

So, he overrode the Ford field dude and will do the job. As touchy as all this was, I did not want to push my luck and ask if he could replace the other head...... yet.

When the replacement head arrives, I'll bring up the issue with the spark plug hole thread count. I will ask to see the new head and hopefully, will be able to count the threads. If it is nine, I will ask to pull one plug out of the other head to count it. If they are different, I will then ask to replace the other head. I will justify this by saying that because the thread count is different, the casting must also be different.... that both heads should be the same casting. Sound like a plan?

I just ordered my cooling mod kit from LDC. I was planning on asking Ford to install it at the same time but I'm thinking now that they won't do it; that I'd really be pushing my luck. Any thoughts on this?

Willie

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I think I've already replied in this thread but...after warranty runs out I'll either chip and pulley or chip and KB...the tick will probably appear. If that happens I'll just pop for a new 5.3 from VT. I hate all this warranty BS and the way Ford has held us hostage with it for three years. I'm beginning to think those of us that went ahead and modded out of the box were the wise ones...I used to think they were crazy but they also got to enjoy their cars on THEIR terms...

Willie

Established Member
Speaking of warranties, check this out.

While picking up the car today, I was transferring stuff from my rental to my Cobra. The mechanic who worked on my head replacement three months ago stopped by and said, "Well, it looks like I'll be doing it again." We got to talking while no one else was standing nearby. I admitted to him that I knew more about this than I was willing to share to the service writer; that the problem stems from the blind alley coolant passageway in the head. I told him that as soon as I get the car back with the third generation head design, I plan on installing the cooling mod. He said, "Keep this to yourself, but it will solve the problem. I cannot officially tell you to do this because it will void your warranty." Interesting, eh??

Willie

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Willie said:
Speaking of warranties, check this out.

While picking up the car today, I was transferring stuff from my rental to my Cobra. The mechanic who worked on my head replacement three months ago stopped by and said, "Well, it looks like I'll be doing it again." We got to talking while no one else was standing nearby. I admitted to him that I knew more about this than I was willing to share to the service writer; that the problem stems from the blind alley coolant passageway in the head. I told him that as soon as I get the car back with the third generation head design, I plan on installing the cooling mod. He said, "Keep this to yourself, but it will solve the problem. I cannot officially tell you to do this because it will void your warranty." Interesting, eh??

Willie

That is interesting, Willie.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Got the car back, runs great. What I thought was piston slap was the valve instead. Runs great, we will see. I will purchase an extended warranty and keep Ford swapping heads until they pass out if that's the route they want to take. I will not do the Apten Mod if it will void the warranty, but I sure want to.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
no one ever answered the question about demodding their cars before they bring them into the dealership...ie.. pulley/cai/flash/chip...either of the few. Did this work? and what is the number to SVT to contact a rep

Users who are viewing this thread