Pic of the new head from Ford

hmwave

Established Member
SilverCobra04 said:
I got a call from the service advisor today, and the tech said most likely my car will be done Friday, worst case scenario would be saturday. I don't mind that it took all week, I'd rather have it done right. :thumbsup: Let me know how your car runs tomorrow. :coolman: FYI, I called SVT directly, and we are getting NEW revised heads. They are not the same heads on the Cobras built on 1/04 or after.

It's worrying that the tick appears unrelated or only loosely related to proper break-in.

Mine is at 31Kmiles and has been mostly a daily driver. I have maybe 10 dyno sessions, one through the gears to over 180mph, but as yet no tick.

My warranty is out in June. What happens if I get the tick in July, or in a year?
I don't suppose Ford will cover it.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
hmwave said:
It's worrying that the tick appears unrelated or only loosely related to proper break-in.

Mine is at 31Kmiles and has been mostly a daily driver. I have maybe 10 dyno sessions, one through the gears to over 180mph, but as yet no tick.

My warranty is out in June. What happens if I get the tick in July, or in a year?

If you haven't developed the tick by 500-1000 miles, there's a very strong you will not develop it. It's usually brought on very early.

03Cobra19

Established Member
hmwave said:

Ford ESP (extended service plan). Best thing I've ever bought. 1000 miles over warranty and I had it in there to replace cylinder 8 to fix the "stall problem"... car stalled the other day. I don't want to talk about it. Obviously they have a cooling problem.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Only problem with the ESP's are that dealers are rated on them. Most arent allowed to do any repairs over a certain amount, I think 1000 on average without contacting the ESP........just rememeber that..and good luck

rick

hmwave

Established Member
RickSvt said:
Only problem with the ESP's are that dealers are rated on them. Most arent allowed to do any repairs over a certain amount, I think 1000 on average without contacting the ESP........just rememeber that..and good luck

rick

Rick,
At what mileage did your tick develop?

ModsAway

Established Member
I beat the heck out of my car from day one. 24,000 miles and running strong. I still listen every day though and I am paranoid beyond comprehension lol.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
ModsAway said:
I am paranoid beyond comprehension lol.

This happens to all of us because of how these forums work. Personally, I've only heard of one person in my area with the tick. If 100 people get the tick and post something about it on here it gets magnified because all you see is tick this and tick that all over the forum. What you have to realize is that even if 1000 members post on this forum that they have the tick, that's only about 4% of the cars that may have developed it. I've run my car hard and I have no tick. Who knows, I could still get it later, but that's not going to stop me from enjoying my car now.

That being said, I hope that these new heads cure the tick for the people that have it so that they can enjoy their car as much as I and many others have.

acrod

Established Member
It's so hard for me to tell the tick or not, there is so many noises coming from the engine. The components themselves are noisy. How do you diffentiate?

03Silver10th

Established Member
RickSvt said:
WEll it will be all done wednesday ready to roll. they are also doing the TSB on the throwout bearing as well. Here are some pics....these are from today of the cylinder walls. Here are the pics of the valve covers painted black with blue pearl.

Rick

Did they pull the engine/ tranny out to replace the left head? I have to have mine replaced but I don't know if I trust the local dealership to do such an invasive procedure. Does anyone know that if the left head is ticking only, do they replace the right head as well? I noticed that most people only complain about the left head but Ford released both sides "tick free" heads.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
03Silver10th said:
Did they pull the engine/ tranny out to replace the left head? I have to have mine replaced but I don't know if I trust the local dealership to do such an invasive procedure. Does anyone know that if the left head is ticking only, do they replace the right head as well? I noticed that most people only complain about the left head but Ford released both sides "tick free" heads.

They pulled my engine/tranny when they replaced both heads. Just got it back a few days ago, it runs strong! :banana: If you have the chance to replace both heads, go for it!

03Cobra19

Established Member
RickSvt said:

rick

Yea, when they replaced my cylinder head, a guy from ESP came in and took a look at it... the dealership got approved for the work and took care of it. I called them everyday to make sure eveyrhting went smoothly.

As for the tick... My car also had a loud tick coming from the left head. I didn't think too much of it. But when I got my car back they ticking noise was completly gone. Weird.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
So my car is getting one head replaced this week. I talked to Quinton at SVT and he said there is just a diff in water passage, what do you guys think. Will everthing be ok with one new head, is he right are they combustion port size the same. Are should they be replacing both heads?

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
So my car is getting one head replaced this week. I talked to Quinton at SVT and he said there is just a diff in water passage, what do you guys think. Will everthing be ok with one new head, is he right are they combustion port size the same. Are should they be replacing both heads?

My car is also in at the dealership as I type. I got the ford part numbers for the new heads and called my service advisor and explained to him that svt has a new head design for my car. He said that he has to replace the head with the part number that is given in the tick tsb, which is the head with the blue stripe. I asked him to call ford svt to verify that he was getting the right head to put on my car and he replied that I have to call svt and ge tthem to call him :mj: such great customer service right!!!! Anyways I will be on the phone with the service manager shortly and I will be asking him to verify that the dealership i sputting the correct head on my car and I will push for them to replace both heads.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
03SilverCoupe said:
My car is also in at the dealership as I type. I got the ford part numbers for the new heads and called my service advisor and explained to him that svt has a new head design for my car. He said that he has to replace the head with the part number that is given in the tick tsb, which is the head with the blue stripe. I asked him to call ford svt to verify that he was getting the right head to put on my car and he replied that I have to call svt and ge tthem to call him :mj: such great customer service right!!!! Anyways I will be on the phone with the service manager shortly and I will be asking him to verify that the dealership i sputting the correct head on my car and I will push for them to replace both heads.

Keep me up to date, I'm going to do the same and post whatever I get out of these guys.

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Yates...Man said:

Did you get a chance to ask quinton for part numbers for the heads. My service manager just called me back and said he talked with quinton and he said that the 3r2z head is the correct head and that only the driver side head will be replaced.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
03SilverCoupe said:
Did you get a chance to ask quinton for part numbers for the heads. My service manager just called me back and said he talked with quinton and he said that the 3r2z head is the correct head and that only the driver side head will be replaced.

No, but I will get my guy on the phone asap. Why are these other guys getting two heads and we are not? baffles me. You think Quinton would know.

Users who are viewing this thread