Picked up some hidden power !!!

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
My previous dyno numbers were 426 rwhp 444 rwtq ( 3 months ago)
and the car would fall on its face in some of third and 4th in street races and at the track .

Heres the thing .. for MONTHS i have been running with NO heat exchanger flow (yikes)... .. my damn pump that pumps the fluid through the blower ect... i just never realised it but litteraly when the car was running for even a half hour .. the reservior wasnt even bubling and you could open it while the car runs and stick your finger in it and its cold fluid. The Charge temps where almost 200 degrees on romp- even at idle about 160 ish ..

So i was geting a tune today and the first 2 pulls it made even less then before 420 rwhp and 440 rwtq .. .. it was pulling mad timing from the crayz heat esspecially the more load put down . so we searched the car and found that the plug for the heat exchanger plug wasnt connected .. so clicked it in and started flowing right and then my idle temp went down to 120 .. did a couple of pulls and it made 454 rwhp and 483 rwtq and didnt pull timing . so i that explains my mysterys with the car ..

MustangThief

Established Member
Wow for months? Hope you didn't cause any harm to the motor but with those temps yikes...

At least you caught it before you romped on it one too many times and she went pop.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow, that's wild. i wonder why the harness was disconnected? i've heard of a few having these pumps fail. that's why i usually let my car idle until the fluid starts flowing before i take off....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
check those pumps form time to time!! mine failed around 28k miles. I use it alot when the car isnt running at the track but check it periodically. I have a guage in my car for incooler fluid temp so I know if something goes wrong.

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
last time i was out at the track i ran ok times but my trap was way lagging I have a set of bald Nitto's and i never really got great launchess from minor spin.. but i hit 2.0 60' 12.2 @ 115 then with a 1.9 i hit 12.1 3 times in a row with 109 trap !! haha i traped 110 stock haha . i traped 111 108 and 113 all 12 1's it would rip in the low gears then high 3rd and 4th were just boggin , so now i have figured out my heat soak problem and ill have a new set of tires so i wanna go into the 11's as far as possible . (the first time i was pullied before a few set up changes i traped 120) not these lame low traps haha So im stoked.. this new power was done on 17 degrees of timing consistant .. when it was bogging before this new tune it would pull timing down to 14 degrees . We also dide a 100 octane tune set @ 21 degrees of timming yesterday but i didnt have the money for a full tank of 100 so we didnt get to see what its making on that.

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
I will deffinetly check this pump on the norm for now on .. The reason it was dissconnected it this is a really fresh motor it only has 3 k on it i blew up my first motor from my fuel starved(octane) whipple set up So i had Manley pistons to match the Rods .. new rod bearings .. .20 over bore , ARP main and head studs , all new seals and bearings .. head inspection .. new crank .. blah blah .. nothing to really add power just my main concerns were the pistons and rod bearings wich are the weak links that are first to go wrong .. i didnt even need to replace the crank i just got a smokin deal on a brand new stock one . SO when the motor was thrown back into it ... im guessing that the harness was neglected .. yeah im really lucky we caught it and didnt dmage this new motor.. i cant beleive it i have had this going on for a couple months .. i just never payed enouph attention to that reservior while the motor was running .. yeah now the fluid is running free .. on the data log sheet when we clipped it it it immediatly started lowering the IAT temps .

I will check on it frequently now .

04gtstang

Established Member
Thats good you found it!

But I dont think 200* temps are really THAT bad...non ICs vortec guys see 150-200 inlet temps everytime I they run it. Some guys run 15+ PSI non ICd...200++ * temps.

I dont think you were anywhere near killing the motor though...you have forged pistons and hopefully a good piston/wall gap now.

Users who are viewing this thread