picking pulley's help.

MIKEC501

Established Member
I have searched and there are so many different pulley combo's that I am lost is there a best combo out there? is it best to do a lower and a upper and idler's ? if so what size? do I need other mod's 1st ? I ordered a cai that's it so far. any idea's???

Fuerza

Established Member
That is kind of a loaded question. IMO I think a Billetflow 2.76 and the four idlers are a great pulley combination. It will give you good power. They are very simple to install. You will need a tuner to adjust your car for the added boost the 2.76 will give you. The four idlers are required but recommended. You will need a blower pulley, auxillary idler, smaller belt, a tuner and tune. If you buy all that brand new be prepared to spend well over 500 bucks.

MustangThief

Established Member
"best combo" , depends on a lot of factors.

I do know that technically, as posted a ton of times... 18,500 RPM is the max limit of the unported heaton. at which point is creates too much heat and begins losing HP..

I couldn't be happier with my current setup, I'm running a 2.80 upper, with 1 idler, a 74.5" gatorback, and no belt slip.

2.80 puts the blower at max RPM right about 17,600 RPM or so..

MIKEC501

Established Member
MustangThief said:
"best combo" , depends on a lot of factors.

I do know that technically, as posted a ton of times... 18,500 RPM is the max limit of the unported heaton. at which point is creates too much heat and begins losing HP..

I couldn't be happier with my current setup, I'm running a 2.80 upper, with 1 idler, a 74.5" gatorback, and no belt slip.

2.80 puts the blower at max RPM right about 17,600 RPM or so..

do you have a picture of your setup I would like to see how it looks with the one idler pulley ? thanks.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
get 2.76 if youre just planning to run upper. run 2.93 and 4# lower if you want to run upper and lower. i made 470/504 with my 2.76 setup. i have a 2.80 now and im planning to run that with a 4# lower with my ported eaton.

MIKEC501

Established Member
HandoZiZle said:
get 2.76 if youre just planning to run upper. run 2.93 and 4# lower if you want to run upper and lower. i made 470/504 with my 2.76 setup. i have a 2.80 now and im planning to run that with a 4# lower with my ported eaton.

see that is where I start getting confused mustangtheif has a 2.8 and his sig. say's 414 hp. you say a 2.76 made 470 hp. :??: :??: I am not calling :bs: I just want the right set up the 1st time.

MustangThief

Established Member
MIKEC501 said:
see that is where I start getting confused mustangtheif has a 2.8 and his sig. say's 414 hp. you say a 2.76 made 470 hp. :??: :??: I am not calling :bs: I just want the right set up the 1st time.

My numbers are from a Mustang dyno. These generally give about 30-50 less HP than a dynojet. This could be where the discrepancy is coming from that you're looking for.

Also, My 414 RWHP (mustang dyno numbers) was on a VERY conservative tune, that tune is 19* timing with 20.5* max timing.

my performance tune on my xcal is for 93 octane also, but it rolled out a little over 440 RWHP (mustang dyno numbers), which was more aggressive timing and A/F. It saw about 22* timing with a max of 23*.

I'll take a few pics of my engine bay, but it looks good.

The UPR pulley is stockish looking, and the idler is where the pulley-guard bolt goes, just to the 5 o'clock position below the blower pulley.

You can't go wrong with a 2.76/2.80 upper as long as you don't have any belt slip (i saw no slip even with the stock 75.1" belt but bought a 74.5" gatorback anyway)

I personally, reccommend waiting to install a lower until you go for a blower port, but that's just me.

MIKEC501

Established Member
MustangThief said:
My numbers are from a Mustang dyno. These generally give about 30-50 less HP than a dynojet. This could be where the discrepancy is coming from that you're looking for.

Also, My 414 RWHP (mustang dyno numbers) was on a VERY conservative tune, that tune is 19* timing with 20.5* max timing.

my performance tune on my xcal is for 93 octane also, but it rolled out a little over 440 RWHP (mustang dyno numbers), which was more aggressive timing and A/F. It saw about 22* timing with a max of 23*.

I'll take a few pics of my engine bay, but it looks good.

The UPR pulley is stockish looking, and the idler is where the pulley-guard bolt goes, just to the 5 o'clock position below the blower pulley.

You can't go wrong with a 2.76/2.80 upper as long as you don't have any belt slip (i saw no slip even with the stock 75.1" belt but bought a 74.5" gatorback anyway)

I personally, reccommend waiting to install a lower until you go for a blower port, but that's just me.

ok thanks for making it a little clearer for me.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
yea it all depend on many aspects. again i was on a dynojet rather mustang dyno(which is more accurate). i also have a 93 octane tune.weather, tires, humdity, sae or std numbers can all affect your numbers. mods are o/r x, magnaflows, JLT CAI, 2.76/idlers, h/e, plugs. dyno was alsoo done on a 85* day and about 58% humidity. i also recomend getting the idlers because i think i'm having a belt slip with my stg IV right now and its really robbing some power( only gain 17 whp after the port)

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't have dyno #'s but, I have a ported blower w/ a RR 2.8 and replaced all the idlers. I was able to use the stock belt. I have no belt slip and my car has run 11.60 @ 123mph w/ 1.78 60' on Nitto DR. I was braking when I did this because I was bracket racing. I wish I hadn't so my best time would be even better. I am currently adding a 2# lower, 60#inj, and 2800 MAS. This will probably be it for pulley changes. A good tune is the key. I am hoping to get into the low 11's. Hope this helps you decide.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
MustangThief said:
So where can I find this max RPM listed, technically? There's always been a lot of speculation in the forums about the theoretical maximum RPM of the stock M112, but has Eaton publically posted or stated that figure (18,500RPM's) is correct?

U.M.

MIKEC501

Established Member
well I just ordered a billetflow 2.76 and the 4 pc idler kit and a new 75.1 belt from billetflow $459.90 shipped. sounds like that should do the job. thanks for the help guys.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
snake134 said:
Billetflow 2.76 w/ 4 piece idlers FTW!!! :rockon:

That is my combo, with the stock belt, and and RWTD tune. It is making 465RWHP / 475RWTQ SAE corrected. I am thinking about going with the RR 2.65 upper and a STG IV port on the Eaton.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread