Picking up the Kona/White Boss tomorrow!

ArabianOak

Established Member
My kona/white boss should be here tomorrow afternoon and I have a few questions...

1. How did you guys break your boss in? Did you keep it under a certain RPM until a certain mileage?

2. What should the stock setting for normal street driving be on the suspension?

Thanks again for all your help in this decision!

AZBOSS

Established Member
1. Just drove the hell out of it, kept it under 7500rpm the whole time. Change oil at 500 miles.
2. Users manual recommends "2". I usually run this on the street, sometimes I click up to "3". "5" on the track.

Last edited:

S197kid

Established Member
1. I think the owner’s manual says something like; vary rpm and don't go wild until 100 miles, wait 1000 miles before competition conditions. I pretty much just followed that.
2. I think the from the factory it is set at 2 which was a nice compliant ride, but then I set it on 4 and it has stayed there since, its more firm but the roads in my local area are fairly smooth so it’s good.

S197kid

Established Member
Do all bosses come with a red track key? If not how do I get one? What's the scoop on that?

They all come with the red key, but it is not activated until you buy the software for it from ford racing then have it installed at the dealer. Even though it is not activated it still works as a regular key. I'm sure there are several threads about it and the process of getting it installed if you do a search.

ArabianOak

Established Member
They all come with the red key, but it is not activated until you buy the software for it from ford racing then have it installed at the dealer. Even though it is not activated it still works as a regular key. I'm sure there are several threads about it and the process of getting it installed if you do a search.

I did a search and all I could find was ford will charge a "reasonable" fee...hmmmm....what have you guys paid?

Also, do all bosses come with the triple race cluster in the center of the dash? Or is that only the laguna seca model?

svt1111

Established Member
Congrats, Kona is a sweet color! My 2011 GT was that color. Not to discourage, it is very hard to keep clean though! It shows everything, including natural hand oils near the door handles each time you get in. But keep up with it, and its not too bad.

Regarding the triple guage cluster, yes, its an LS exclusive.

I drove mine below 6k rpm for the most part for the first 75 miles. Maybe three or four blasts to 7k but not redline. I varied speeds at all times, and loaded the motor with about 1/2 load, not WOT. After 100 miles, I went WOT to about 7k each time I drove it at least once, and around 200 miles I let her rip. Just change the oil at around 1,000-1,200 miles (fitler too of course) and you should be fine.

Suspension comes set at 2. I haven't started playing with mine yet.. its hard to imagine the car having even higher limits than it does now!

Remove the exhaust plates when you get it. It makes a nice sound improvement you will love. Takes a total of about 15 minutes if you've never done it before.

Have fun and welcome to the Boss community.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
The Boss 302 supplement to your owners manual explains all. I kept mine below 4000 for first 500, then under 6000 for next 500. Changed oil at 1300 and tomorrow it sees the road course for first time.

I keep mine at 2, and will even run it on 2 tomorrow, then up to 5 for Saturday when I run again

svt1111

Established Member
Some people paid less than $302 for their track key. Talk to your dealer.

My dealer did not charge me one cent for the TK, but I did pay MSRP for the car, so at least I got something, lol.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I hope my dealer programs the red key for me...

Where are the removable exhaust plates at? What's the benefit to removing them?

LostPony

Established Member
I removed mine this afternoon in anticipation of running the car this weekend. They are just off of the h-pipe and easy to remove. 15mm wrench, 2 nuts at flange, and I found it necessary to remove bolt at exit location, and remove plate then bolt back up. Literally took less then 15 minutes. Not sure of any performance benefit, but good Lord is it LOUD!

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Some people paid less than $302 for their track key. Talk to your dealer.

My dealer did not charge me one cent for the TK, but I did pay MSRP for the car, so at least I got something, lol.

CONTACT A VENDOR ON HERE FIRST...

TOUSLEY!!!!

I got my track Key software from them and it saved me $80 off of the price above. My dealer charged me 1 hr labor ($87.95) even though it took them 3 hrs to complete. Makes the car a different animal. My favorite part is the throttle feels so much better and more responsive!!!

Users who are viewing this thread