Pics of DSS halfshafts after 126 1/4-mile passes....

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Joe Lynch
I helped him with that, doubleblack, LOL.

Joe

Yes, Joe was kind enough to send me his custom-made differential cover brace to use as a template. This is one project that I intend to do now that I'm pulling the diff out again to once again fix leaks. The cover has held up fine so far but I think it's only a matter of time. I'll post pictures when I fab mine up.

BTW, Joe sorry it's been so long. If you need the cover/brace back before any specific time, please let me know. Otherwise, I should be making my brace up within the next few weeks and then I'll send yours back. Thanks again!

MJ

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
What kind of brakes are those? They look sweet.

Brembo sport rotors, Hawk HPS+ pads, stock caliper powdercoated black, and SS speedbleeder. The fronts are the same except for Stoptech SS brake lines and SHM carbon fiber brake duct kit.

MJ

doubleblack

Established Member
MJ, do you have pics of Joe's diff cover? I kinda have a foggy picture of how it looked...how hard is it to mod one up...If I remember correctly, he didn't have to weld anything, correct?

doubleblack

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
For those that wanted to see the input shaft after 126 passes here it is:

MJ

The input shaft looks sweet too...I'm beginning to think it's made different than the one COOP keeps buying for his 99 equiped T56...If I remember correctly, he said he would break his street driving...

jtfx6552

Established Member
Personally, I wouldn't run any of the smaller diameter stronger halfshafts.

Higher grade steels add strength, but the modulus of elasticity does not vary much with the higher grade. What this means is a smaller shaft, while it may be stronger, will be more suseptible to torsional twist. As the halfshaft winds up, it temporarily stores energy, which will be released through the driveline when it untwists. While the halfshaft may not break, because after all it is stronger, the forces may take out something that wasn't beefed up, like the outboard or inboard stub shaft, maybe the center section cover, etc.

Does anyone know what material the stock shafts are? Are they 4340?
Here are data sheets for 4340 and 300M, the modulus of elasticity only changes from 29 to 33.
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/300M.asp
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/4340.asp

Users who are viewing this thread