Pics of mm 6 point roll cages and does anyone have a how to on install them

662rwtq

Established Member
Just like the title says I just purchased one and I would like to see pics of them to see what my options are on color and it would be awsome if some one had a step by step install of one thanks

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I have one and if I had to do it all over again I WOULD NOT buy it from MM. I contacted them numerous times about issues and was pretty much blown off and treated like crap. The main hoop fits so tight up against the corners of the headliner and b/c panel trim that the trim wont fit properly unless getting hacked up. Also the main hoop and rear bar backing plates dont fit for crap. You are going to have to really hammer on the rear bar backing plates to get them even close to fitting. You would be better off taking a flat piece plate and bending it to fit rather than their overly bent piece and trying to flatten it out.

the bar should have come with a full instruction manual that even includes pics.

df6c74af.jpg

1daa55cd.jpg

a5cee808.jpg

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
you are better off to take it to a shop and have one fabed up. The shop will custom build your cage to specs you want. I have heard way to many horror stories with prefabed cages.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
you are better off to take it to a shop and have one fabed up. The shop will custom build your cage to specs you want. I have heard way to many horror stories with prefabed cages.

couldnt agree more. wish I would have went that route

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
I agree too. but they cost $1200 or so for a 6 point thats custom and welded in.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I agree too. but they cost $1200 or so for a 6 point thats custom and welded in.

cheap considering what a failed MM bar will cost you after all the headaches and fab work you will need to do in order to get it up to par. If only I would have known I would have spent the extra initial money and had it done right the first time!

Fat-cat

Established Member
i know a couple guys local that have done MM bolt in 6 points and there were no issues ( both 94-96 mustangs so its the same kit. Sounds like yours might have got bashed around in shipping maybe.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
i know a couple guys local that have done MM bolt in 6 points and there were no issues ( both 94-96 mustangs so its the same kit. Sounds like yours might have got bashed around in shipping maybe.

No damage from shipping...........unless shipping itself caused the main hoop to be about 1/2" too tall and the mandrel bends at the top of the hoop to start about an inch too late or the backing plates to be curved into a C shape rather than gentle curve to follow the inner fender like they should be.

I think the main issue is they started building them for the 94-98 cars and did just enough to get it "close" enough to install in others. EVERYONE that I have talked to that installed them into an 03/04 cobra have had the same issue with the main hoop smashing the interior "c" panel trim so that it wont sit back flush on the b pailar where the door closes and also smashing the headliner at those corners. (they say this is for safety but the top of the main hoop is an inch or more from the headliner everywhere else)

I just expected better quality and customer service from MM than what I got. Especially the customer service. I was more or less called an idiot and a liar that should have taken it to a shop to get installed despite the fact that me and my buddy do better work than any "install" shop around could ever dream about.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Mine was completely installed in about a day, fits like a glove:shrug:

Did you install it yourself? You didnt have any issues with the interior plastic and the main hoop or with the rear bar backing plates?

When did you purchase and install the cage? Maybe they changed something between a certain date and when I got mine...........

bb97gt

Established Member
Did you install it yourself? You didnt have any issues with the interior plastic and the main hoop or with the rear bar backing plates?

When did you purchase and install the cage? Maybe they changed something between a certain date and when I got mine...........

I did install it, just have to cut the holes in the interior 1/4 and trim a corner off the window frames for the main hoop. Its actually out of the car right now to get powder coated. Ill snap a few pics here this evening. I bought and installed it this time last year.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I did install it, just have to cut the holes in the interior 1/4 and trim a corner off the window frames for the main hoop. Its actually out of the car right now to get powder coated. Ill snap a few pics here this evening. I bought and installed it this time last year.

Yeah I had to hack up my window trim too. That was one of the things I didnt like because if they would have just started that top bend on the main hoop a little earier you wouldnt have to hack up more trim panels for it to fit properly. How about the rear bar backing plates? We beat the snot out of one of them. Took about half the radius out of it and it was still about an inch away from fitting. They would have been better off sending flat stock to bend into shape rather than having to beat the snot out of a concave plate to get it to come remotely close to fitting the inner wheel well.

bb97gt

Established Member
Yes they bend in the hoop should have started earlier for sure, I did have to persuade the plates but not a great deal...

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i dont race.. but i wouldnt mind having a roll cage in my cobra.
i know u weld it to the frame.. the carpet would have to be cut right?
nothing major i hope.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Yes they bend in the hoop should have started earlier for sure, I did have to persuade the plates but not a great deal...

We gave up on installing them and are going to make our own that will actually fit. I should have checked them before getting them coated.........my fault. One of them is beat all to hell now and still isnt close to fitting. I would at minimum have to get 2 inch longer bolts to suck it in. I'll have to go take some pics of them so people can see what we started with and what we got it to only to still not fit.

Despite being treated like crap by MM I still tried and tried to suggest to them things they needed to do in order to make the kit more customer friendly like the bend in the main hoop and rear backing plates. dont know if it did any good. I'm sure they wont admit it if they did change anything because of my wisdom but hopefully they do so future suckers wont have the same problems.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
i dont race.. but i wouldnt mind having a roll cage in my cobra.
i know u weld it to the frame.. the carpet would have to be cut right?
nothing major i hope.

yeah you will have to cut the carpet in 4 locations and also cut the rear interior panels (if you have a coupe)...........MM's is bolt in but I plan to tie the front door bar and main hoop backing plates into my full lenght subframe connectors in the future.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
so will it save your life if u flip your car? if the roof caves in..is there a bar to protect u there from the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread