Pics of my Global West SFCs installed

jimh

Established Member
These are pictures taken of my car on a lift after my Global West subframe connectors were installed. I got the competitions noes that got all the way out to the rocker pinch seem because my car is a vert. The guy did a nice job of welding. I got them done at Steed's shop Florida. The guy that put them in said, "those are some serious heavy duty connectors".

The factory frame connectors are a joke.

I had GWs on a 200GT vert before and forgot what a difference it makes in the ride. I literally felt a huge difference just pulling out of their driveway! Big difference. I'm hoping this helps my wheel hop problem.
jim

PhillyCobra

Established Member
jimh,

Is that the stock Kmember brace up front for a convertible? Heard they had different piece than the simple 2 point bar on the coupe.

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
jimh,

Is that the stock Kmember brace up front for a convertible? Heard they had different piece than the simple 2 point bar on the coupe.

Yes, that's the stock. I'm pretty sure it's just like the one that was on my 2kGT vert.

jim

03snakevert

12 volt tech
Established Member
The k member braces are the same as the older verts. but is alot beefier than the 87-93 verts. By the way Jimh how is the body flex as far as slight vibrations that only us vert drivers feel. Car much improved? How much and where did you come across these subframe conn. They look so much stronger than the criss cross ones that weld in and bolt to the seat.

jimh

Established Member
I feel a big difference in the way it drives. It's much more firm feeling. Not like the ride got stiffer, the car just feels more solid. I immediately felt a huge difference when I exited the driveway of the place that put them it. It's a bit of a down slope as you enter the street. It's hard to describe. You know how verts feel kind of "giggley" when you go over RR tracks, well that's gone. You just feel the suspension taking the hits.

At $399 they weren't cheap, but liek the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I had the same model connector in my last car and at 45,000 miles when I traded it in the car had NO squeaks or rattles. They are made by Global West. www.GlobalWest.net Very, Very beefy frame connectors. They are thicker than the Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix subs.

I'll let you know what difference I see in the ride in a couple of days. So far I can tell you it feels more stable. On sudden direction changes the car feels more responsive. I think it has helped the wheel hop problem some as well. I still plan on getting the bushings for the diff and the IRS frame though.

Jim

SVT 03 Cobra

man I hope he didn't weld those in on that lift.... the weight of the car needs to be on the wheels to install SFC's correctly...

KDog

Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon
man I hope he didn't weld those in on that lift.... the weight of the car needs to be on the wheels to install SFC's correctly...

that's what I was wondering too. If there's one thing I've learned on this forum, it's that.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
it's bad...

if the weight isn't on the wheels. Means the car isn't loaded the same way it will be driven, which could cause permanent stresses to the frame when it is put under load. Basically under load is the cars equilibrium state... you're bolting or welding in this case subframes on in a state other than equiibrium, causing a perpetual stress concentration.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I like that k-member brace that the vert's come with. I wonder if it would bolt right on the coupes? Time for some research.

cobraracer46

Banned
I have the Global West competition sub frames on my 87 5.0 and I will have them on my 01 Cobra sooner or later. Strongest subs on the market by far, makes the KB's look like tooth picks.:burnout:

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon

learned a long time ago that the suspension should be loaded when installing frame connectors. The first shop I had an appointment at was just going to put it up on a sissor lift and weld them on like they were an exhaust pipe. Needless to say, I left.

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeR
How much welding is required to the rocker panel seam?

It looks like an inch to an inch and a half every foot or so. The rockers are one of the main part of the structureal integrity of a vehicle. Probably second to the roof, which verts dont have anymore. That's why I got the ones that tie into the rockers.

The connectors come with instructions. I know how all this stuff works, I just can't weld. I've started learning to weld but I would in no way trust my welding for that kind of support. :)

jim

Users who are viewing this thread