Pinion bearing

Blown347

Established Member
Pinion Bearing: UPDATED W/ CARNAGE PICS!

My pinion flange should not move like this should It? I have a terrible clunking sound that sound like its rotating almost like a bare pad on a rotor. I tried posting a video but not sure it's working. May need to click on the pic below.

th_28BD19F5-040B-4A1D-A457-60A557796F5D_zpsncnenw6d.gif

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Have you removed shaft from pinion flang and feel rear flange and bearing bind yet?

Video played but hard to say..some movement is ok but it almost looked liked u joint flange was loose to pinion flange..

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
That's not supposed to move like that, the pinion nut might have backed off, and/or the crush sleeve failed. If you tighten the nut and it still turns easy, then the crush sleeve is fine.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
you got something going on. I would be the pinion nut backed off and crush sleeve failed. If you pull it apart put a solid pinion spacer in its place much easier and you can keep trying until you get the preload right.

MG0h3

Established Member
Id say to just tighten the pinion nut down but since you have all that noise........

It takes way more torque than an impact can create to crush the sleeve. What surprises me is that you dont have fluid leaking out as that movement should have trashed the pinion seal. Maybe you ran dry and the pinion bearing came apart.

Depending on what noises I was hearing, Id check the oil and tighten the nut down. Youre going to want to use some locktite. Both to hold the nut and prevent oil coming out around the threads.

Blown347

Established Member
Pinion Bearing: UPDATED W/ CARNAGE PICS!

well pulled the diff out and this is what i found to be making the noises i was hearing. Was not expecting this to be the problem and hoped it was just the gears at worse. Is the ford racing diff ok to go back with to save money? I just dont want this to happen again .

CB2289DD-9262-4A77-A5C4-434B80B036D2_zpsny5ymiub.gif

862AE663-712F-48B9-92A1-EFD11888096A_zpsogdfcdws.gif

951A667E-9878-4181-BA82-34B691303258_zpsarytplhu.gif

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Wow, that is crazy. Is the whole carrier broken off? Surprised the car still moved, almost looks like the clutches were the only thing making the car go any where.

Blown347

Established Member
Wow, that is crazy. Is the whole carrier broken off? Surprised the car still moved, almost looks like the clutches were the only thing making the car go any where.

yep its broke completely around and in 2 pieces. Spider gears in the middle are holding it in place and even they are pretty beat up.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Any idea how this happened? Have you been launching the car on slicks? How many miles are on the diff? Im amazed you could drive car like that. From what I have read on here our factory diffs are pretty stout and can take a beating.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i kind of think i should feel lucky this didn't lock up the wheels and take me for a ride shouldn't I?!

Lucky sure..both you and more damage..

mine blew pinion bearing and locked up..lucky I was going slow only bent pinion ..

I was close to home..pulled axles and dragged it home

Blown347

Established Member
Any idea how this happened? Have you been launching the car on slicks? How many miles are on the diff? Im amazed you could drive car like that. From what I have read on here our factory diffs are pretty stout and can take a beating.

I have 136k on this rear end but fluid has been changed a few times. I was actually having fun with a camaro and went from 2-3 gear when I heard a pop. Luckily I was right outside of my neighborhood and coasted home. Car has never had slicks.

Users who are viewing this thread