planning stroker build. needs some ideas

gray 5.0

up and running
Established Member
so i just sold my last fox but got a complete 302 so i plan on building a boosted stroker then finding a car to put it in. here are my thoughts so far.

1. 347 stroker. all forged. afr 185 or 205 heads. holley systemax 2 with spacer. 75mm tb. and im thinking a vortech s or t trim at 15lbs max. heres my questions should i run with an f cam or something similar or go a step up. also what drivetrain components should i run what rockers, lifters and rods. ill be running full msd ignition bbk long tubes etc just want to focus on the major points.

2. same as above only a 331 stroker.

im running a blower so no turbo ideas or n/a just want to know what components you guys are using thanks

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'd get a cam custom ground if I were you. Lifters...I've always had good luck with the FRPP ones, but there are probably better units out there to be had. Rod's, there are several good brands, so what are you looking for here, brand or type? Meaning, H or I beam rods?

Rockers, I like my harland sharp setup, but FRPP makes a fine set too, and the crane rockers work fine as well.

If you want to know what I"m using (my setup is an N/A 331), I have:
Scat Crank
RPM Rods
Probe Pistons
AFR 185 heads (58cc chamber)
FRPP lifters
Harland Sharp Rockers
Custom ground cam
Trick Flow intake with 3/4" phenolic spacer.
I'm also running ~10.5:1 static compression, but my engine is staying N/A.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I love how people list a 700hp build idea and want to used a stock block.

347s with boost like to crack blocks so ive heard. Also blowers like to crack blocks easier than turbos. Your set up is way over kill for the stock limits of the block. Save some money, go smaller and still have block splitting power. The stock blocks limit is 500bhp in most cases, even with a main support, good tune, forged guts, and lower RPMs. If i were you I would not go bigger than 331 but honestly I would do a 306 to keep the stroke as short as possible (help the life of the stock block). You dont need the larger displacement to split the block with a set up like you mentioned.

If your gunna do a build with those parts go buy a 351 and build off that. The block will hold all the power you can throw at it.

gray 5.0

up and running
Established Member
I'd like to do a 408 with the some of the same parts mentioned I'd like to use a dart block set up if I run with the 347 just trying to get all the pieces and parts together I've run 306s just wasn't happy with the results

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I'd like to do a 408 with the some of the same parts mentioned I'd like to use a dart block set up if I run with the 347 just trying to get all the pieces and parts together I've run 306s just wasn't happy with the results

if you use a dart block you can go with a 363ci but the bigger the better. A 408 would be a good kick to the nuts with a blower on it:beer:

blake_colvin

Established Member
I would go forged 351, predator knows his stuff and from what i have researched the 351 block is cheap and the rotating assembly's are fairly cheap and one to hold the power your wanting to throw at it would still run around 2k.

100-500 bucks for an old 351, strip it, buy an assembly for 2k and do afr 225 heads cus with boost you will need all the air flow you can get and a nice blower cam and intake to match the heads and i can see the build running you around 8k and it will make well over 400whp n/a and with 15lbs of boost.. thats a winner.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
just talked to woody from fordstroker.com (very good engine builder) he quoted me as follows.
fully forged 408 stroker
AFR 205 heads
custom cam
Comp cam gold series billet aluminum 1.6 rockers
ARP everything
head gaskets
lifter, pushrods
internally balanced

A FULL proper BUILT 408 long block $6401 (cant remember if that was with shipping or not but shipping is a flat $175. The motor is good to 900hp provided you keep the revs down to 6K or under. He said the motor would be good for around 450-475whp NA @ 10.5:1 compression. SO at 9:1 your probably still looking at right around 400-420whp NA and ready for boost.

Blake, your right AND wrong. Obviously the more air flow the better BUT with forced induction the game can change a little bit. Since your actively forcing air into the motor its not as big of a deal if the heads are a little smaller than what would be ideal for a NA set up. You could honestly get away with a set if 185 heads on a big engine like that if its FI where as an NA motor would be choked WAY WAY down. I'm by no means saying you'll make the same power with 185's vs 225's on a 408 (because you wont) BUT it would still make good power.

Provided the cam is properly built for the setup and use of the motor a 408 with a blower on pump gas can make well over 600whp. Which as gray_5.0 said, would be very interesting.

blownfox

Established Member
Woody has excellent customer service. Actually I will use them again for my next build. It will be close the the build mention above but will have AFR 225 heads

Users who are viewing this thread