2001Bullitt029.jpg

2001Bullitt034.jpg

2001Bullitt035.jpg

2001Bullitt042.jpg

2001Bullitt043.jpg

446runner

Established Member
How do you like the D40?
I've been looking at a D60 and they seem to be fairly similar.

This pretty much decided it for me. I'm not super super into photography but with the right lens and settings there is way more to this camera then everyone gives it credit for. You will find people time to time "knocking" the 40 becuase its deemed the 'entry" level DSLR but its more the person using the camera than the camera itself.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

And
Thanks Supercar for the comment!

Last edited:

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Are you using a tripod? Just throwing out some constructive criticism here, the pics look decent, but are a little out of focus, if you are not using a tripod in those conditions then that would explain why.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
Nice pic's! You should buy a tri pod. Some of your pic's are a little blury... Other than that good job....

You should get with ( 04sleeper ) he knows what he is doing!

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Looks good.. I run into the same prob as said above about focus.. I need to get a tripod, and a better camera for that matter. The D40 sounds like the one to get.

446runner

Established Member
Thanks guys,
its funny cause I was wondering about the tint as well on some of the shots. Maybe Graves or 04sleeper can chime in. I'm would love to hear some things to try. My taillights are F'in me up as well, they were "tinted" by the previous owner and the nightshades tint they used left the lenses a little cloudy so I can't get that "crispness" on the rear shots like this:
153197.jpg

I def need more practice w/ the tripod cause it seems like just pushing the shutter button caused the slightest movement and resulted in less than perfect images. is anyone useing a remote shutter button or something or maybe I need to be even gentler on the push?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Thanks guys,
its funny cause I was wondering about the tint as well on some of the shots. Maybe Graves or 04sleeper can chime in. I'm would love to hear some things to try. My taillights are F'in me up as well, they were "tinted" by the previous owner and the nightshades tint they used left the lenses a little cloudy so I can get that "crispness" on the rear shots like this:
153197.jpg

I def need more practice w/ the tripod cause it seems like just pushing the shutter button caused the slightest movement and resulted in less than perfect images. is anyone useing a remote shutter button or something or maybe I need to be even gentler on the push?

The cheap, but inefficient way of solving that problem is to set the timer so that you're not touching the camera when the shutter opens.

Or you can spend $30.00 and get a remote shutter which allows you to open the shutter without touching the camera.

Great pics, just need to use one of the 2 above mentioned methods of taking the photos.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
The remote for the D40 is the ML-L3 and it is 15 bucks on amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Wireless-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00007EDZG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238022320&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control for Nikon D40, D40x, D60, D80 & D90 Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

I looked at your exif data and I have a few pointers. Exif from first shot:

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D40
Image Date: 2009:03:24 19:53:38
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 52.0mm (35mm equivalent: 78mm)
Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 800
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: program (Auto)

First thing is if you are using a tripod is to drop the ISO to 200. The other thing I do when shooting cars is switch to aperture priority so I can control the depth of field. Keep experimenting and you will get the hang of it in no time.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Thanks guys,
its funny cause I was wondering about the tint as well on some of the shots. Maybe Graves or 04sleeper can chime in. I'm would love to hear some things to try. My taillights are F'in me up as well, they were "tinted" by the previous owner and the nightshades tint they used left the lenses a little cloudy so I can't get that "crispness" on the rear shots like this:
153197.jpg

You can use a remote if you wish. I set the camera on a timer. I think on your is will say self portrait???

When you press the button it will actually take the picture a few seconds later. No more blur!

Users who are viewing this thread