Playing with video in the R

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I recently purchased an Epic Wide Angle video camera. They are mainly used as helmet cams for bikes, but at about $100 I thought it might make a cheap alternative to a slightly more expensive Go Pro camera. The Epic is powered by two AAA batteries, and holds up to a 4GB SD card. The quality isn't quite up to par with the Go Pro cameras I've seen. Epic does make an HD version of this camera too. But, they are nearly identical in price to the Go Pro HD. So, I thought for $100 it was worth a shot to test out this model.

The Epic Wide Angle kit
2j6624p.jpg

Camera on the home made mount, using my existing Valentine 1 radar detector mount
2a7u4n8.jpg

View from the driver's seat
s2tg9l.jpg

And... a little test vid from this morning....
[youtube_browser]YQvFuRXaULQ[/youtube_browser]

I tried mounting it on my harness bar, facing the rear too. In this mount, but facing backwards...
118io3d.jpg

But, the camera needs to be up higher. I got great video of my rear wing, and the trees. HA HA!
[youtube_browser]H8TNbWp2Jyw[/youtube_browser]

:rolling:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
god that sounds sooo sick!! I love your cage setup too lol.. Curious where did you get the steering wheel and the hug and stuff from??

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
awesome...nice car...so cool that you drive it ahah..i know it sounds lame. but you never see these out on the roads being driven let alone romped on!

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Oh yea, it gets romped on alright. I took this vid the day I got the car... nearly 2 years ago. LOL

[youtube_browser]Kzy0d6FRJb8[/youtube_browser]

brianz426

Established Member
Wow, for the price that camera seems to have great sound and picture quality. I've been considering something like this but wasn't sure where to go. Where did you get it?
Thanks

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I got it from Amazon.com

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Epic-Angle-Action-Camera/dp/B0039KEHO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1300213034&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Stealth Cam Epic Wide Angle Action Camera: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Just do a search for Epic Wide Angle if that link doesn't work. :beer:

I got the camera currently selling for $102. It came with everything I posted in that first pic, minus the roll bar mount. The roll bar mount is less than $15, and is actually called a "Handle Bar Tube Mount".. but it works on bars up to 2" in diameter. Perfect for roll cages.

BTW The sound quality isn't great, as you can hear. And, in direct wind it's pretty horrible. But, for the price it's not too bad!

Last edited:

brianz426

Established Member
I got it from Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Stealth Cam Epic Wide Angle Action Camera: Sports & Outdoors

Just do a search for Epic Wide Angle if that link doesn't work. :beer:

I got the camera currently selling for $102. It came with everything I posted in that first pic, minus the roll bar mount. The roll bar mount is less than $15, and is actually called a "Handle Bar Tube Mount".. but it works on bars up to 2" in diameter. Perfect for roll cages.

BTW The sound quality isn't great, as you can hear. And, in direct wind it's pretty horrible. But, for the price it's not too bad!

Thanks

Andy M

Established Member
Brian,

#155 is looking and sounding great man!:banana:

So, can anything be done to fix up the audio on this thing? I would order one if I knew the audio could be cleaned up.

What exactly do they send you for audio? and what is it recording to?

Andy M

Established Member
nervermind, I see you mentioned it records to an SD card.

I have a GoPro and I like it but it too has terrible audio. If someone could figure out the audio piece of this type of setup, it would be worth a ton of money.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yea, the audio is pretty sad. It doesn't take much to over power the microphone built into the camera(s). There is also no way to use an external mic. I think Go Pro, Epic, or any one of those types of companies who develop a good external mic setup will sell a ton of cameras.

Oh, and the Epic camera footage can be down loaded in two ways. You can either plug the provided USB cable directly into the camera. Or, simply remove the SD card and down load it that way.

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
check this out Brian! a few years ago, I purchased something called a conecam. I mounted it inside the grill and was using an elaborate set up with external mics (one outside the car in back). Not bad, but it was a bear to set up.

Enjoy! Man, the R sure does sound great at full gallop! I miss that sound! :(

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZibStbaQri4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - conecam grille view 1 1[/nomedia]

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
That's AWESOME, Andy. Guessing you had the microphone inside the car? The sound is clean, and crisp. Any pics, or info, on what parts you used.. and where it can be purchased?

I tried setting up my Epic on the harness bar, similar to what it appears you did here. But, the Epic was over powered by the back light on the windshield, and you couldn't see outside the car! I ended up mounting it under the rear view mirror, as I posted above. This vid of yours is what I was trying to get originally...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRELgRcY_o&feature=BF&list=ULmUXLzj-KIA8&index=1"]YouTube - Andy-Joe-Autobahn 2005.mpg[/nomedia]

Here is the crapy test footage from my harness bar. LOL One of my friends teased me and said "how do I know the car isn't on jack stands in the garage?"

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAM0vIEZ_jU&feature=related"]YouTube - Epic Wide Angle test[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread