Please Advise...

VENOMCOBRA03

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a 2007 shelby gt500, it has 118,000 miles for $20,000. The car is completely stock.
Do you guys think that 118,000 miles is to much?

Vi_king500

Established Member
Have it looked at, compression test ect. check carfax, if all checks out clean, then why not. These cars should be driven

1st usa car

Established Member
yes - I think that is too many miles --- not saying there is anything wrong with the car lasting twice that many miles ... but you are buying a lot of history ---

NastyNate420

Established Member
The mileage doesnt scare me but the price does!
I have no clue if that the going rate for 2007 gt500 But Im not paying that much for one with 120k miles

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have to agree with the others who think this is too high miles. "If" it were 20 years from now, and most of the GT500's for sale were 100K+, ok, then find the best car for that kind of miles, but with so many lower mile cars currently on the market, it is a gamble on a car with this kind of miles. <<The reason I say this is because the cost of so many of the GT500 unique parts, heck, if the cooling systems have not been maintained, a set of radiator hoses for the radiator cooling system and H/E cooling system is over $1000 from Ford and a set from somewhere like Samco is approx. $800, and that is just cooling system hoses. If the brake system has not been maintained (flushed regularly), the inside of that system will look like root beer (that's rust). The master cyl., Brembo's, anti-lock brake module etc. are all GT500 specific, again, big $$$. <<These are the types of things that are not thought about by many owners, but instead the car is "just driven".

Has the axle fluid been properly maint. with the CF clutch posi. unit?..................and the list can go on and on with this many miles........

R

Last edited:

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I recently bought an 07 earlier in the year and when I was looking I didnt wanna buy one with over 40k on it. I ended up getting mine for 27 with 23k on it so if your already spending 20,000 why not spend just a few grand more and get one with wayyyyyy less miles. Think resale value too.

Mainn

Established Member
Have it looked at, compression test ect. check carfax, if all checks out clean, then why not. These cars should be driven

I agree with this. If there aren't any mechanical issues with it, it's clean, hasn't been in an accident, has always been serviced on time etc. I don't see a problem with it if that's how much you'd like to pay. Of course, a newer one might be a little nicer overall, but it's still a GT500 if that's what you're looking for.

tvspower

Established Member
OP That is high miles. BUT, depending on the type of miles, ie, highway miles, I feel maybe not a problem.. Like Robert M said, just make sure all maintenance was done. There quite a few lower mileage ones for sale.. Just do your research .. GL

Speedboosted

Established Member
If you're looking at this car because it barely fits into your price range, stop right there. If you have more money to spend, spend it on a car with less miles. You could be getting yourself into a world of hurt dropping all your money on a car with that many miles and having nothing leftover when something goes wrong.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
118,000mi. / 9yrs = 13,111mi. per year. I wouldn't really call that high mileage based on how old the car is. It just looks like the owner actually drove and enjoyed his car. Probably a DD with all the maintenance taken care of on schedule.

Last edited:

SVT_28

Established Member
13k a year is average for a normal car. For a Shelby I would say that is high. And sure he probably enjoyed the car, which is why we buy them. But saying the car was "probably" taken care of has no basis. I'll just say then that the car probably wasn't taken care of. Even if the car fax supports all maintenance, miles are miles. Sure highway is easier on the car but it is still wear and tear on the vehicle. Seats are worn, paint could be chipped from all those miles and so on. It just makes no sense to buy a car for 20k with that many miles. Zero. Sense.

118,000mi. / 9yrs = 13,111mi. per year. I wouldn't really call that high mileage based on how old the car is. It just looks like the owner actually drove and enjoyed his car. Probably a DD with all the maintenance taken care of on schedule.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

^^^^That is assuming regular maint. has been performed. There are many DD cars with this kind of miles that get very little "scheduled maint." and are only fixed when something breaks. <<Those cars are plentiful in todays world. If there are records/documents to back up "regular scheduled maint." for this car, then yes, I would say go for it if that is the price range that will get a person into a GT500, but I would never assume in todays world that a late model car has been regularly maintained. Brake system, cooling systems, transmission fluid change and axle fluid change are areas where many cars are neglected, even fuel filter change, not to mention P/S pump and rack flush.....

Most everyone changes oil and filter and maybe an air filter on schedule, past that point the maint. starts to fade quickly with many owners/cars.

Cars today just keep going and going.............while the systems that are not maintained degrade further and further with a Big $$$$ fix and the end of each system.

R

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Being that the car is a GT500, I'm assuming that the owner is no different than everybody else on GT500 forums who would not let their cars fall into a state of disrepair. Like stated, we are talking about a GT500, not a Camry. That, and I doubt Ford built GT500s to be 50K mile cars. It has to last just as long as a base V6 would. (Hence us being able to get 800+ HP out of these engines without even trying kinda hard.)

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Too many miles for too much money. I would only do it if it were a crazy good deal, like 17k max. If it's a Northern car I would pass no matter what the price because that thing has obviously been driven day in and day out year round since it left the dealer lot.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Being that the car is a GT500, I'm assuming that the owner is no different than everybody else on GT500 forums who would not let their cars fall into a state of disrepair. Like stated, we are talking about a GT500, not a Camry. That, and I doubt Ford built GT500s to be 50K mile cars. It has to last just as long as a base V6 would. (Hence us being able to get 800+ HP out of these engines without even trying kinda hard.)

I would hope this was the case also, but when I saw a 2008 GT500 Super Snake go across eBay a couple of years ago with higher miles (in comparison to most) and the drivers seat was well worn on the bolster(s) the car looked like it had been driven many times on a dirt road and was filthy under the hood plus the rock chips all over the front of the bumper cover and leading edge of the Super Snake hood..........I know that even when someone spends $30K-$40K above and beyond that original GT500 cost...........some simply enjoy the car, drive it, use it, and don't keep up with things like we do.

I would venture to say that there may even be some owners on this forum, and other GT500 forums who have never flushed their brake system, the fluid looks like "tea" instead of "pee"..............and even worse, have replaced pads and pushed the pistons back into the calipers forcing all of that nasty/rusty fluid from the inside of the steel brake lines back into the master cyl. <<Even in the specialty car world, there are some people who enjoy the ride, but do not maint. a unique vehicle like you or I might do.

This type of treatment only gets worse as the car gets older, the price decreases and transfers to a new owner. Is the owner of this 118K GT500 even the original owner? If not, it could have been through multiple owners and maint. or lack of maint.

Ford built these cars to go wayyyy high on miles..........."when properly maintained" to their specifications.

I guess my overall thought is..........If someone pays $45K, $55K, $65K for a GT500 (new or slightly used), then they are much more likely to keep it up as you suggest, but once these cars get older and the miles add up, the buyers are not going to be the $45K-$65K buyers, they are going to be the $20K-$35K buyers and yes I would guess/hope that they too would maint. the unique vehicle that it is, but if they don't, things are going to deteriorate and the cost of owning that GT500 will go up when things break, as they would with any other car from poor maint.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread