Please contact SVT with comments about GT500 NOW!!!!!

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
NOW!!! is the time for all of us to contact SVT, and give them any suggestions, feedback for the new car....They DO HAVE the interest and TIME to make some changes to the car, if they hear from all of us who love SVT and Shelby cars...I have the following suggestions
1. 1/4 window scoops alla Shelby GT 500 circa 1967
2. 1/4 rear fender scoops (functional?) " "
3. Wider lightbar assy. on rear.

The car IMHO, looks too bland for a "Shelby", it needs a little more of the "Shelby" touch done to it, to separate it from both a GT and SVT Product.
If you agree, or think anything else needs to be changed. PLEASE CONTACT SVT NOW!!!!!!!!
Fax is the better method, because it will be documented for the staff @SVT.
(800) 367-3788 (Voice), or (313) 621-2500 (Fax)

Terminator

Established Member
All the car needs to be visually different are real Shelby tail lights,
that's what most will be seeing anyway's.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Screw the looks - folks should be telling them to take measures to make the cars readily available to "the common man" as opposed to the SVT dealers, thiers sons/daughters/neighbors, etc. Ask them to limit the price gouge we all know the dealers are already wringing their hands over....

I've said it before and I'll say it again here - I'll be amazed if a single one of these sells for less than $50 - $60k. There might a lucky one or two that has an honest dealer that will sell at "A" or "Z" plan - but dealers have the option to refuse those sales as well, and I can forsee lots of them doing so.....

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
I made my comment in the main post and will respond to it here.
Below is quoted from a PM;

1993cobramustan said:
If you don't like the "Shelby" name on the car, don't buy it, but because of the name, and Shelby's input on the car, this will be the most successful SVT product since 1993, and will bring more people in to support future SVT products,and the car will be hightly collectable....What is it you have against Shelby????
I wanted the new body style "Cobra" before the new body style Mustang was even released to the public. I purchased my Terminator only because I was either going to buy a new Mach or supercharge the '00 GT I already owned. It was a simple step to just purchase the new Cobra.
I assumed it would at least have the same supercharged 4.6L engine and an IRS since the new platform WAS DESIGNED FOR AN IRS. Damn Ford bean counters.
That's the reason I want one, not because $helby's name is plastered on it. I don't care if it's a "collectible", and sources have been quoted saying Ford would produce as many as buyers wanted so it's not going to be a limited collectible like the 2000 Cobra R. I just don't care for the stripes, lettering, and BS "bling" crap. As an example, I'd never own a Saleen and prefer the simple look of the present Cobra or Roush. As a matter of fact, I was seriously considering a Roush Stage 3 before I bought my Cobra. It was a bit out of reach and the Cobra has the performance I wanted for the right price. I hope the $helby stuff is optional, well the stripes over the top are OK, but the side stripes and $helby lettering have to go. I love the look of the new Mustang, and am not going back to a 300 horse GT after I've owned a Mustang with over 400 factory horses. If this is the "Cobra" Ford's going to offer, and I can get one at a sticker price under $40K, I'll have one. If the dealers are going to gouge the hell out of it I'll wait for the hype to die down or see what Roush has to offer.
What do I have against $helby? He sold out years ago, too bad Ford has "forgotten" about the lawsuits brought against them by him in the past. He had nothing to do with the design of this "Cobra" and his name is just being used for the hype.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
WraithCobra said:
What do I have against $helby? He sold out years ago, too bad Ford has "forgotten" about the lawsuits brought against them by him in the past. He had nothing to do with the design of this "Cobra" and his name is just being used for the hype.

well i know for me that my dad told me stories about them in the past that he had, they looked great, but i dont want to buy a old one and this is a great oppertunity to buy new.. a new shelby GT500 with a kick @ss motor in it no matter how you look at it, and even if it does weight more, its not going to really matter because look at how the o3 cobras are doing with full race weight, they're ripping at the 1/4 mile with 500 RWHP. and being that this ones going to have a twin screw instead of a twin rotor, i cant see why you cant pulley it to get 600+ at the wheels since the KB 2.2s are doing it and the whipple 2.3s are doing it. this is jmo

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Ive already called em. My thoughts where this.
1. Keep the live axle!
2. NO electronic gimmickery (no tv shit, no GPS shit, etc)
3. Keep a twin screw type blower, no matter the manufacturer
4. Wider tires plzkthx

He said that folks where split on the live axle. About 50-50. Diggers guys are wanting the live axle, while drivers are wanting IRS. Well, im a digger so i put my vote in.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
johnny-longtors said:
Screw the looks - folks should be telling them to take measures to make the cars readily available to "the common man" as opposed to the SVT dealers, thiers sons/daughters/neighbors, etc. Ask them to limit the price gouge we all know the dealers are already wringing their hands over....

I've said it before and I'll say it again here - I'll be amazed if a single one of these sells for less than $50 - $60k. There might a lucky one or two that has an honest dealer that will sell at "A" or "Z" plan - but dealers have the option to refuse those sales as well, and I can forsee lots of them doing so.....

The GT500 will be price capped at $40k (and IMO that's a stretch). Sure the first few will be gouged for more but wait 3-6 months and you'll easily be able to pick one up in the mid 30's. The car is nice but it's still capped by the Corvette at ~44k which in stock form will likely out perform it. It will also have it's hands full with the competition that all come in around 30k: EVO, 350z, RX8, and STi. They may not offer the same straightline speed but they do offer items like: world class handling, IRS, AWD, onboard computer, navigation, and more class (350z and RX8). Now, I really like the GT500 but IMO what I saw at NY is no where near a $50-60k car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
NOW!!! is the time for all of us to contact SVT, and give them any suggestions, feedback for the new car....They DO HAVE the interest and TIME to make some changes to the car, if they hear from all of us who love SVT and Shelby cars...I have the following suggestions
1. 1/4 window scoops alla Shelby GT 500 circa 1967
2. 1/4 rear fender scoops (functional?) " "
3. Wider lightbar assy. on rear.

The car IMHO, looks too bland for a "Shelby", it needs a little more of the "Shelby" touch done to it, to separate it from both a GT and SVT Product.
If you agree, or think anything else needs to be changed. PLEASE CONTACT SVT NOW!!!!!!!!
Fax is the better method, because it will be documented for the staff @SVT.
(800) 367-3788 (Voice), or (313) 621-2500 (Fax)

Don't forget the big wing on the back, the Neon undercarrage lights and the chrome "spinnies" :rockon:

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
I would say..........500 HP,Shelby tail lights (67") window scoop and fender scoop.I will call and bother them later.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
The GT500 will be price capped at $40k (and IMO that's a stretch). Sure the first few will be gouged for more but wait 3-6 months and you'll easily be able to pick one up in the mid 30's. The car is nice but it's still capped by the Corvette at ~44k which in stock form will likely out perform it. It will also have it's hands full with the competition that all come in around 30k: EVO, 350z, RX8, and STi. They may not offer the same straightline speed but they do offer items like: world class handling, IRS, AWD, onboard computer, navigation, and more class (350z and RX8). Now, I really like the GT500 but IMO what I saw at NY is no where near a $50-60k car.
MORE CLASS!!!! Were not talking BENZ!!!! Come on 350 z evo???? Were talking American Muscle!!!!! In my mind it'd like this(affordable wise) Viper,Vette,and my favorite COBRA!!!! :bash:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
The car is nice but it's still capped by the Corvette at ~44k which in stock form will likely out perform it.

Out perform it??? :nono: Maybe in the handling department but the GT500 is going to smoke a stock Vette!!! As for the RX8, that's not even in the same league!!! My friend has an RX8 with an intake and an exhaust and my 1990 Conv GT with 105K and AOD trans will beat it. :bowdown:

AZROUSH01

Established Member
The New Shelby's Will Be $42-$45,000 Sticker...dealer Mark-up Will Be Most Likely $10,000 To Start...get In Line, And Poney Up The $$$$ And You Can Take One Home And Kick Ass On The Corvetts And Maybe The Vipers!!!!

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
03Terminator said:
Out perform it??? :nono: Maybe in the handling department but the GT500 is going to smoke a stock Vette!!! As for the RX8, that's not even in the same league!!! My friend has an RX8 with an intake and an exhaust and my 1990 Conv GT with 105K and AOD trans will beat it. :bowdown:

I don't think the GT500 will smoke a stock C6 Vette.

The Vette has a weight to horsepower ratio of 8.1125:1. The GT500 has a ratio of 8:1 (Using 450 hp and 3600 lbs). In the end, it will be close, and it may come down to things such as tire size and gearing. But to say that a GT500 will smoke a Vette is pushing it (at least until we see what the final specs are, especially weight).

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:

The Vette has a weight to horsepower ratio of 8.1125:1. The GT500 has a ratio of 8:1 (Using 450 hp and 3600 lbs). In the end, it will be close, and it may come down to things such as tire size and gearing. But to say that a GT500 will smoke a Vette is pushing it (at least until we see what the final specs are, especially weight).
First off the vettes are barely meeting their hp ratings(proven) and all svt's are seriosly underated,so you might as well use gm power rating and give this car 525 hps :bash:

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
cobradude said:
First off the vettes are barely meeting their hp ratings(proven) and all svt's are seriosly underated,so you might as well use gm power rating and give this car 525 hps :bash:

Hey I'm just using the numbers that are known. On paper...it's close. In real life it may be different.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:

Maybe, but the 03/04 Cobra's were seriously under rated. They were advertised as making 390 hp but in reality they made around 425 hp. Take that same 35 hp difference and what do you get, 485 Vette killing hp. :pepper:

But I agree with you that nothing has been finalized as of yet. It should prove to be very interesting!!!

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
cobradude said:
MORE CLASS!!!! Were not talking BENZ!!!! Come on 350 z evo???? Were talking American Muscle!!!!! In my mind it'd like this(affordable wise) Viper,Vette,and my favorite COBRA!!!! :bash:

I know we are not talking about a Benz but like it or not a Mustang is not as classy as a 350z, G35, or RX8. For some people it's an issue....for some it's not.

03Terminator said:
Out perform it??? Maybe in the handling department but the GT500 is going to smoke a stock Vette!!! As for the RX8, that's not even in the same league!!! My friend has an RX8 with an intake and an exhaust and my 1990 Conv GT with 105K and AOD trans will beat it.

As stated above, the power to weight ratios of the two (C6 and GT500) are very close. Obviously, if the GT500 is closer to 500 hp then that will tip the scales slightly in favor of the GT500 but....the numbers will still be close enough that other factors: aerodynamics and traction will likely be the deciding factor.

The RX8 may not hold a candle to the raw power of the GT500 but it will certainly out handle it. What the RX8 brings that the GT500 may not bring is a more upscale interior, more refined ride, and more sophisticated exterior. It may not have acceleration down like the GT500 but it covers all the other bases. Also, the RX8 may not be a common competitor but the others on the list: 350z, EVO, and STi certainly will be. And by '07 there maybe more with the rumors of a new Supra and RX7.

Users who are viewing this thread