Please help! I am stuck - Exhaust manifold

funair02

Established Member
:(

After two hours, I can hardly hold my arms up.

I am in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold gaskets. Im on the passenger side. I got the manifold off but I CANNOT get it back on?!?! Is there a trick?

WTF did Ford put the A-arm bracket right next to the manifold!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have it all apart right now. If I could get this manifold to go back on the studs I would be so happy! I just cant seem to line up the exhaust bracket and studs at the same time and now my arms have given out afte two hours of holding a manifold up...

any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks :(

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
:(

After two hours, I can hardly hold my arms up.

I am in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold gaskets. Im on the passenger side. I got the manifold off but I CANNOT get it back on?!?! Is there a trick?

WTF did Ford put the A-arm bracket right next to the manifold!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have it all apart right now. If I could get this manifold to go back on the studs I would be so happy! I just cant seem to line up the exhaust bracket and studs at the same time and now my arms have given out afte two hours of holding a manifold up...

any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks :(

If you can't get the manifold over the studs. Pull the studs, hold manifold and gasket in place then install studs and bolts.

funair02

Established Member
If you can't get the manifold over the studs. Pull the studs, hold manifold and gasket in place then install studs and bolts.

damn! I don't want to have to do that :cuss:

I guess I am going to have to. I was thinking was there a exhaust bracket I could losen to gain more pipe room...or something other like put the front on then the rear as you pull the cat down...

My arms are cashed...Ill take this up in a few hours or maybe tomorrow. I can ride my bike tomorrow :)

Thanks for the reply :)

What's the best way to take off the studs? Vise grips? Is there a tool for those?

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Get a friend, stronger is better, have him/her help.

Jack up the right side, pull the tire, insert jackstands, remove the inner fender well plastic liner.There is a straight view into the manifold.

One person align the manifold and the other underneath pulling, down, back, forward, or up. Should be cake. I would not pull the studs unless that was my only last option.

funair02

Established Member
Get a friend, stronger is better, have him/her help.

Jack up the right side, pull the tire, insert jackstands, remove the inner fender well plastic liner.There is a straight view into the manifold.

like this :)
DCP_1588edit.jpg

One person align the manifold and the other underneath pulling, down, back, forward, or up. Should be cake. I would not pull the studs unless that was my only last option.

Looks like I cant get anyone here till tomorrow...

I see Ford changed the design of the gaskets. The new ones look more heavy duty...
Here's the old one--wanna take a guess which one blew :rolleyes:

DCP_1590edit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread