PLEASE HELP i NEED A PCM FOR MY 03 COBRA

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
ANYONE OUT THERE PLEASE HELP. i NEED A NEW PCM FOR MY 03 COBRA. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF A PCM OUT OF A DIFFERENT COBRA WOULD WORK OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE AN 03-04 COBRA PCM ONLY? I THOUGHT THEY COULD BE REPROGRAMMED FOR ANY CAR/MUSTANG? I NEED HELP BAD GUYS PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF U HAVE A PCM TO SELL OR WHERE I CAN GET ONE OR WHAT ELSE WILL WORK. FORD F#CKED ME AND I NEED HELP GUYS. THANKS IN ADVANCE...................................................

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Needs to be from 03/04 Cobra and will need to be programmed to your VIN# iirc (either due to the security system or SRS system, or both).

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
+2 on the story behind all the YELLING!

Try the market section. :shrug:

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Thanks Guys. Ok here it goes..............It's not what I did it's what FORD did!!! I went to the Ford dealership today to have a spare set of keys made and for another remote. While I was there I figured I would have them re-flash my pcm cause I have been having the stalling issue on deceleration. I bought the car 8 months ago. I was told it was all stock, I went through it with a fine tooth comb and found no signs of any mods. The pully cover is still on it an all. No wear on the screws or anything. All stock as far as I was concerned.

I ended up putting a Magna-flow cat back and a cold air intake on it and wider tires out back. So like I said I wanted to get the pcm flashed to stop the stalling issue on decel. They asked me if what was done on the car and if I ever had it chipped/tuned? I said no, but I told them I did buy it used so I don't truly know(These are my exact word to them!!!) So they flashed the pcm and and fried it.

They pulled out the pcm and sure as hell there was a diablo sport chip and stickers all over the pcm. Now they want to screw me out of $800 for a new one and I told them it's their problem since I said I wasn't sure about the chip, so they should've looked for it just in case.

I would have rather paid the half hour labor cost for them to look for it, even if it wasn't there, than to fry my pcm and try to charge me hundreds for it. So anyway I'm looking for one on here now and I think I may have found one, but still anyone who has one for sale or knows where I can get please post me. So what should I do guys, is ford wrong?? I think so. They broke it so they should pay for it, right? **** FORD DEALERSHIPS!!!!!! BUNCH OF CROOKS.

oldmodman

Established Member
That's nothing.

My ford dealer lit my Explorer on fire then tried to deny it:kaboom:

But a used one would work just fine. Make the dealer install, program it and all your ket fobs for free, and reimburse you for the PCM. Even thought they should just install a new one and cover all the charges.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You would think that with a chip installed that you wouldnt be able to flash the PCM and it would just error out?

Its a shitty situation thats for sure. Me, I wouldve checked for a chip myself prior to having it, but like you said it was kinda an afterthought.

Too bad theres not a vendor on here that knows how to repair "fried' PCM's. Usually its a single component and a $5 fix at most.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Guys. Ok here it goes..............It's not what I did it's what FORD did!!! I went to the Ford dealership today to have a spare set of keys made and for another remote. While I was there I figured I would have them re-flash my pcm cause I have been having the stalling issue on deceleration. I bought the car 8 months ago. I was told it was all stock, I went through it with a fine tooth comb and found no signs of any mods. The pully cover is still on it an all. No wear on the screws or anything. All stock as far as I was concerned.

I ended up putting a Magna-flow cat back and a cold air intake on it and wider tires out back. So like I said I wanted to get the pcm flashed to stop the stalling issue on decel. They asked me if what was done on the car and if I ever had it chipped/tuned? I said no, but I told them I did buy it used so I don't truly know(These are my exact word to them!!!) So they flashed the pcm and and fried it.

They pulled out the pcm and sure as hell there was a diablo sport chip and stickers all over the pcm. Now they want to screw me out of $800 for a new one and I told them it's their problem since I said I wasn't sure about the chip, so they should've looked for it just in case.

I would have rather paid the half hour labor cost for them to look for it, even if it wasn't there, than to fry my pcm and try to charge me hundreds for it. So anyway I'm looking for one on here now and I think I may have found one, but still anyone who has one for sale or knows where I can get please post me. So what should I do guys, is ford wrong?? I think so. They broke it so they should pay for it, right? **** FORD DEALERSHIPS!!!!!! BUNCH OF CROOKS.

The PCM is not fried, it was just a piggy back chip. Tell them to download the as-built data into the PCM. That will restore the PCM to the factory specs.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Some guys have absolutely NO luck at dealerships. I am one of those guys as well.

So is the Diablo chip still good? I'm not even sure if it is worth anything but I guess you could make a couple of bucks selling it to recoup cost of pcm. :shrug:

Playing devils advocate here...Ford won't eat the cost of a new pcm. They will say that they asked you, you said "not to my knowledge", they went with your assumption and reflashed per their normal procedures. If it was chipped would they have had you remove it or would they?

Sucks man, but you just gotta deal with it now.

good luck :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The PCM is not fried, it was just a piggy back chip. Tell them to download the as-built data into the PCM. That will restore the PCM to the factory specs.

Was gonna say, I dont see how the addition of a chip would physically "fry" the pcm.

Knew there had to be a way to really re-flash the PCM from the ground up.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
A quick search of the market section turned up a few that appear available. Probably get used for less than half the 800 they are asking for new.

maybe not needed....

good call Crimson2v.

Last edited:

MissGT23

Established Member

I am not trying to be rude or anything, this is just my opinion, I don't think it's their fault. You asked them to flash it plus you told them you don't think anything was done to the car. Most mechanics will not look for things unless they were told to by customer/service writer.:shrug:
At least that's how it is where I work.
But you can ask service manager to help you on price, or find you one cheaper. :)
Hope you get it resolved!

txyaloo

Established Member

This. They may have to call the tech line to get instructions on how to do it. When my Predator was stolen, I had to get the PCM in the Lightning reflashed. It took the dealership several hours since they didn't know how to flash the as built data back.

Also, this is in no way the dealerships fault. OP should have checked the PCM for a chip.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a hard time reading these horror stories from dealers, I am a mechanic at a Ford dealer, there are some good guys working at dealers.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Don't blame the dealer they did what you ask for. Talk to the service manager and work something out, such as a discount or locating a used pcm and reflash.It is also possible that they could remove the chip and install as-built data. I work a a Ford dealership as a shop foreman and we help people out all the time.

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah it definitely suck and I don't know how the PCM is totally fried now but thats what the said and they had everything right there to show me, it was a Diablo Chip and the fried PCM and they said they tried to reprogram it to stock specs with no luck. Then they tried to bone me for $800 for a new one and I told them to go **** themselves. Then they said they'll try to find a used one or a aftermarket or refurb one for around $100-200. Luckily I got some feedback from a few guys on here and found someone to sell me one on here. But I'm telling them tomorrow that I'm not paying for any labor and I'm gonna try to get a discount on the shit I was there for originally. I mean it's definitely their fault but in a small way it's mine too but like I said I didn't know it was there. I might try to have them reimburse me for the PCM if I can but they were being total dicks anyway. NEVER GO TO JOHN KENNEDY FORD IN CONSHOHOCKEN PA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
CSCOBRA03 I really do get what you're saying but they way it all went down and the way they tried to handle it was a real shitty move. I asked them to flash it for the stall to stop and they asked me if there was a chip and I said I don't know. So they should have said they have to check and that would cost me labor time and I would've said either yes or no to that. I would much rather be out 50 buck in a half hour of labor just so they checked than for a couple hundred buck cause they didn't. I mean if I'm gonna work on something I would wanna see exactly what I'm working with before I start messing around with shit.......that's just common sense. It's just they way they acted and the way it was handled that really grinds my gears over this. It is CUSTOMER SERVICE right? Not oops we messed up but it's completely the CUSTOMERS fault?

Users who are viewing this thread