Please help me diagnose this noise.

zonk22

Established Member
When I take off going forward or in reverse I hear a "pop,pop,pop" or "tink,tink,tink" sound coming from my driver side rear wheel area. It goes away after the first 2 or 3 "pops" or 'tinks". It does not persist as I drive unless torque up slightly, then it "pops or "tinks" only 1 or 2 times. Any ideas? Video in lower post. Jimmy and Bruce, thank you for all of your help. I can not believe that no one else has had any experience with this.

click pic to see video
th_MVI_4958.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
When I take off going forward or in reverse I hear a "pop,pop,pop" or "tink,tink,tink" sound coming from my driver side rear wheel area. It goes away after the first 2 or 3 "pops" or 'tinks". It does not persist as I drive unless torque up slightly, then it "pops or "tinks" only 1 or 2 times. Any ideas?

Check the torque on the rear halfshaft to hub retaining nut. 36mm socket, 240-250#. If it's loose you most likely have a toasted bearing and possibly a hub as well.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

zonk22

Established Member
so I just check the torque? If it is not tight, then how do I diagnose what I need to replace?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
so I just check the torque? If it is not tight, then how do I diagnose what I need to replace?

If the nut is in fact loose, the nut should be replaced whenever you get a chance to get a new one. If it was run loose for any amount of time the bearing should be replaced. Once you get it apart you'll be able to determine if the hub needs replacing.

IRS knuckle removal

Knuckle rebuild

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL! I feel strangely validated!

BTW those links are pure GOLD!

Planet, Lone Star or Tommy Vaugn may have one in stock and if not they can do a locate.

If not in a hurry, less than list price options become more numerous.

See ya Saturday.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jeff and I took vids and he's said he's going to post them up for the sound capture.

After being completely stumped this morning and thinking it is outer splines I thought about and the sound is almost exactly like a bad CV joint. A high frequency metallic CLICK.

I have never heard a bad CV on a rear drive car before, but it sounds the same as a bad FWD CV.

Absolutely ZERO play from the hub and bearing, ZERO! I guess it could still be a bad roller in the bearing but with nothing loose, I was completely baffled.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Jeff and I took vids and he's said he's going to post them up for the sound capture.

After being completely stumped this morning and thinking it is outer splines I thought about and the sound is almost exactly like a bad CV joint. A high frequency metallic CLICK.

I have never heard a bad CV on a rear drive car before, but it sounds the same as a bad FWD CV.

Absolutely ZERO play from the hub and bearing, ZERO! I guess it could still be a bad roller in the bearing but with nothing loose, I was completely baffled.

Well Jimmy, next thing I'd check would be for play in the CV joints.

The outer splines would be wiggling in the hub if they were loose. But they would have to be AWFULLY loose with a tight halfshaft retaining nut.

It's very hard to diagnose cars over the internet as you might imagine!

Good luck with it!

zonk22

Established Member
sorry for the delay. Click the pic below for the video.
th_MVI_4958.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sort of sounds like hub spline play to me. (loose halfshaft retaining nut) But I'm not discounting Jimmy's diagnosis either.

If the halfshaft retaining nut was ever run loose at any time, it doesn't matter how tight the nut is now. The hub needs to be replaced. If the hub is getting replaced, the bearing is an automatic replacement at that point.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
We will know when we tear it down.
I don't think there is any way of avoiding that.
The splines was actually my first guess after I felt the wheel and hub was tight.
But never having had one apart yet, I just couldn't picture it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We will know when we tear it down.
I don't think there is any way of avoiding that.
The splines was actually my first guess after I felt the wheel and hub was tight.
But never having had one apart yet, I just couldn't picture it.

Jimmy:

I'll give you 4-1 odds it's the hub. .25 cents maximum bet! :-D

zonk22

Established Member
Bruce

The retaining nut has never been tightened. We checked it on Saturday and it was completely torqued to 250.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce

The retaining nut has never been tightened. We checked it on Saturday and it was completely torqued to 250.

Then it may possibly be the halfshaft. You'll be able to see how tight the halfshaft is in the hub when you take it apart. If it falls right out, then it's too loose. You should not be able to put the halfshaft all the way through the hub. That should require the power of the nut being torqued down to do that.

Also when you take the halfshaft out of the hub you will then be able to spin the hub and feel what kind of shape your knuckle bearing is in.

recalcitrant

Established Member
It's probably your Vajaja clicking. Get your ass over here to San Antonio and go for a drive. Got the X Pipe on!! Give me a call when you get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread