Police Charger Hemi Interceptor

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member

Wildpony

Established Member
Not sure if those Hemi's take premium fuel but would many departments want to spend the extra $$ for premium just to have a "HEMI" (if all other things were equal).

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The 5.7L Hemis are tuned to take regular or for optimum performance, mid-grade 89.
I imagine even with a Hemi Charger running 87 octane, it would still outgun the latest 239hp 4.6 Crown Victoria by a considerable margain. Now the Mustang's 4.6 3 valve, it would help somewhat but you have to keep in mind the Charger would still have a much larger amount of low end torque.

FWIW, its the 6.1 SRT Hemis that require premium.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
That would make for a good competitor but I wonder if they could get that under the stock hood? I really think what would be better in the long run is for Ford to just use the 5.0 cammer in the place of the 4.6 3v in Mustang and Crown Vic.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Traveler said:
That would make for a good competitor but I wonder if they could get that under the stock hood? I really think what would be better in the long run is for Ford to just use the 5.0 cammer in the place of the 4.6 3v in Mustang and Crown Vic.

Ford's had running 5.0L big bores for over 10 years now, if you were ever going to see one in production, it would have happened already. You can thank the poor bore spacing found in both 4.6/5.4L motors/blocks for 305s/358s not making the cut.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
If they do make it, I can see Ford fighting back by simply putting on the Eaton Blower. And when you think of it, that's all it would really take. Not that I would ever G-Tech a fully loaded squad car, but if one were to do such a thing.... I bet it would run really really close to a 16.2@92mph. Now throw a blower on that and drop a second or so plus the fact that all the light, consols, push guards, partitions, etc the depts already have... The hemi would be hard pressed to take over.

jshen

Established Member
Wildpony said:
A 5.4 3 valve truck motor in the Vic may be the trick...

Ford keeps saying it won't fit..but I don't know whether that's true. I have seen quite a few Mercury Marauders around here used by police. Dodge darn near had a lock on police cars in the late 60's and 70's. My 71 Satellite with the 440 magnum was REAL quick and I never had a problem catching anything. The damn brakes and handling were poor though. Our Dept lost at least 3 officers to veh wrecks in those things.

The only thing I cn say for today's Crown Vics are that they will take a lick in an accident and provide a lot of safety for the officer....unlike the Dodge Intrepids.........

Wildpony

Established Member
They sure seem to take a lot of flack for being not safe enough because they explode from time to time in high speed crashes. If you going over 100 , outside of having a fuel cell and a cage I think that some deaths will happen..

Blk2000GT

Established Member
Even if Ford did attempt to up their horse power to compete with the charger, they don't have an automatic transmission that can live behind a more powerful motor. We cannot keep our transmissions alive more than 30-35 thousand miles. Does anyone else have these problems with their crown vics? :shrug:

jshen

Established Member
Perhaps Ford should think of the six speed auto from the new Adrenalin or the 4 speed auto from the Lightning. YOu have to admit those trannys go through a lot.

Wildpony

Established Member
Blk2000GT said:
Even if Ford did attempt to up their horse power to compete with the charger, they don't have an automatic transmission that can live behind a more powerful motor. We cannot keep our transmissions alive more than 30-35 thousand miles. Does anyone else have these problems with their crown vics? :shrug:

Are you guys using the tranny to help slow down the car by manually dropping it down into low, or when you pull out on the interstate to run down a speeder do officers drop it in low & then run through the gears manually (trying to run down the lawbreaker)??? That probably doesn't help if it's done on a regular basis..

Blk2000GT

Established Member
Nobody that I know of shifts gears manually. It just seems like we are always having problems. I'd be more than willing to give the new Dodge a try... you can't go wrong with 340 hp. :burnout:

ChuckV

Established Member
Especially if it takes regular! I've always wondered why police tend to use cars that can be outrun by most 20-25k performance oriented vehicles.

Wildpony

Established Member
Well probably because they have helicopters and radios, so unless you can run in a one on one situation and know the good guys don't have backup (ie. in some remote place such as BFE), "keeping up" is probably not as important as it was back in the 60's/70's.

I got away from a OHP once because he was coming over a overpass on a split 4 lane St. Rt.. He never put his lights on but I was doing quite a bit over 55 (radar det. went off), and he hammered it about 300 yds to one of those cop turnaround things as I was going over the over pass. I saw no one was up ahead and I had a green light at the next intersection so a kept it going , did a legal left hand turn on a country road and then just stomped it. As I was watching my mirror for the lights, the trooper had blown through the light continuing on the St. Rt. He never had his lights on so I figured I got lucky and got the hell home. This was in my 90LX 302 and 14 years ago when I was still stupid. Today (well I'm still stupid and the Cobra is way faster) I would have just pulled over and waited for him. I think I have had 1 ticket since '96 and none in the current car..
Plus a few years ago they changed running to a felony so it ain't even worth it if you are a good guy just getting pulled over cause you were speeding..

Lawman85

Banned
Blk2000GT said:

I've never had one last over 40k miles. We always joke about them, when a car hits 40k we'll call our supervisor and say "Time to take it to the garage". I honestly don't think the Dodge's will hold up as well as a Crown Vic. It is from all the hard acceleration all day long. Dodge has always had a quality control problem (Police interceptor Intrepids?? Garbage). I don't know if agencies will want to spend the extra $$ in gas, especially at today's prices. On an 8 hour shift I use at least a half tank every day, around 110miles a shift. In a Hemi that is only averaging 8 or 9 miles to the gallon, that is going to add up. My department has over 120 marked patrol cars doing around 100 miles a day.....lot's of $$ in gas....

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
displacement on demand, however, is supposedly just a little less efficient with the 3.5L V6 in normal driving
so, if your officers keep their foot off of it (well, not in the first few weeks I suppose) and keep only part of the cylinders running, it might not be so bad

ChuckV

Established Member
Wildpony said:
Well probably because they have helicopters and radios, so unless you can run in a one on one situation and know the good guys don't have backup (ie. in some remote place such as BFE), "keeping up" is probably not as important as it was back in the 60's/70's.

I got away from a OHP once because he was coming over a overpass on a split 4 lane St. Rt.. He never put his lights on but I was doing quite a bit over 55 (radar det. went off), and he hammered it about 300 yds to one of those cop turnaround things as I was going over the over pass. I saw no one was up ahead and I had a green light at the next intersection so a kept it going , did a legal left hand turn on a country road and then just stomped it. As I was watching my mirror for the lights, the trooper had blown through the light continuing on the St. Rt. He never had his lights on so I figured I got lucky and got the hell home. This was in my 90LX 302 and 14 years ago when I was still stupid. Today (well I'm still stupid and the Cobra is way faster) I would have just pulled over and waited for him. I think I have had 1 ticket since '96 and none in the current car..
Plus a few years ago they changed running to a felony so it ain't even worth it if you are a good guy just getting pulled over cause you were speeding..

Even today, there are plenty of situations where that could still easily happen.

Let's say you pass a cop doing about 90 in the Cobra. You know there's an exit in 1.5 miles. You stomp it, and you're invisibile by the time you reach the exit. It won't even be in the officer's view for another 30+seconds. He probably wouldn't even notice that you decided to run for a while, because it will take a crown vic upwards of 30 seconds to even REACH your original 90mph, at which point you would already be out of view if you just maintained your original 90mph speed. Plus he has to wait for traffic, etc etc. In this situation, you could still make the great escape with negligible risk of being persued off the highway. However, if the officer was driving a car that could be passing 130 when the Crown Vic was passing 100.... it might be a different story. Even if you would still be very far ahead, and gaining rapidly, it would be an easier task to keep you visible.

I don't know how the officers on here feel, but I think if I were trying to catch someone speeding, especially from a stop, I'd want a car that could at least hit low 14s @100 or so. There are just too many cars today that will blow a CV-PIP's low 16 in the low 80s away.

Users who are viewing this thread