Police LiDAR a/k/a Laser Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
You know, pretty much all my life it's been a given that IF you get pulled over for speeding:

A. You are less likely to get a break if they see you have a detector.
B. You better have a plan to hide it without leaving suction cup marks on the windshield....so mount it somehwere not too visible.

So, sleepergt98, I think your post is slightly unstable.

sleepergt98

Established Member
JPIStang said:
You know, pretty much all my life it's been a given that IF you get pulled over for speeding:

A. You are less likely to get a break if they see you have a detector.
B. You better have a plan to hide it without leaving suction cup marks on the windshield....so mount it somehwere not too visible.

So, sleepergt98, I think your post is slightly unstable.

I agree with both your points. However, that's quite a different situation: being "less likely to get a break" versus a cop on a powertrip trying to make it impossible for you to fight the ticket by red-flagging you solely because you've got the detector, writing on the ticket "RADAR DETECTOR and...remember no breaks"

I don't see what your experience has to do with my post being unstable? He blatently expressed his anger and retribution toward "cheaters" that he encounters.
I'm not really sure how to respond...but everyone is entitled to their own opinion so thanks for yours....real nice car in your sig too.

Last edited:

blown 03

Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Please post constructively or not at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Lots of folks don't even have any business with a radar detector but one of the most fundamental principles in positioning the unit is often violated. I see almost daily some poor soul driving down the road (in the passing lane) with his/her radar detector pointing skyward and doing 20+ mph over the limit. Its no wonder that the average motorist who chooses to use a detector, becomes disillusioned with them. In my opinion, these truly are the people who should throw their detector in a drawer and go without, because it probably will do them more harm than good.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
I agree with both your points. However, that's quite a different situation: being "less likely to get a break" versus a cop on a powertrip trying to make it impossible for you to fight the ticket by red-flagging you solely because you've got the detector, writing on the ticket "RADAR DETECTOR and...remember no breaks"

I don't see what your experience has to do with my post being unstable? He blatently expressed his anger and retribution toward "cheaters" that he encounters.
I'm not really sure how to respond...but everyone is entitled to their own opinion so thanks for yours....real nice car in your sig too.

Well you have two people breaking the law-the one trying to get out of it harder is more likely to get a ticket.

I just think you're giving him too hard of a time, that's all. He's not doing anything different than any other LEO.

And thanks!

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
I'm with him...that's friggin harsh - and ILLEGAL. As a LEO, Trooper4986, I'd think you would know that. All citizens of the US are entitled to equal protection under the law. If you pull someone over and they have a radar detector, treat them differently, and write the ticket differently for having a LEGAL device in their car, you are breaking the law yourself. It's in the Bill of Rights...check it out. The fact that you can be quoted as saying the following shows you use bias and prejudice when assessing a motorist - this is the same as profiling people based on race - something happened somewhat recently with the new jersey highway patrol and pulling over motorists based on racial "profiling"...remember how that turned out?

"I may stop sports cars but it's usually only to check out their car... I don't write tickets to Mustang/Camaro/Vette/Firebird drivers unless they talk themselves into a ticket... or have a radar detector. Detectors/jammers are cheating and I don't like cheaters. I put in big letters on the ticket RADAR DETECTOR so the judge knows the violator was trying to cheat and I remember (no deals), should the person decide he wants to waste his time in court while I'm making at least $150 no matter if I'm there for 5 minutes or 3 hours."

Yes, it's true - people with radar detectors probably speed and have had a few freebees BUT if they have no prior offenses against their license, you have absolutely no proof that that person had sped at any other time, correct? And wouldn't it be be unfair to treat them differently?

It's cops like you that hurt the profession, scare and intimidate motorists, and make people afraid and tense when they get pulled over :nonono:

I almost went for therapy thanks to a run in with someone who thought and acted as you might...he pulled me over, started screaming at me, all with his hand on the butt of his glock, shouting about how I was going to get several tickets...on a real powertrip. I was under 25 and driving my mother's Audi. Know what I did wrong? My blinker unit had stopped functioning so that it simply lit up...that was the reason for one of the most traumatic happenings in my life. All because he didn't like seeing a "young punk" in such a car...btw I never exceeded the speed limit nor missed a stop sign and after getting the sh*t scared outta me, I wound up with no ticket.

BTW, I wonder what your police commissioner would think about a statement like that? :nono:

Go cry somewhere else... There is nothing illegal about me deciding who I'm going to write and who I'm not going to write. Same thing goes for who I'm going to stop. I have an established set of speeds that I stop for based on times and locations... there's nothing wrong with that either. I don't write lots of people... I don't feel like listing all the things I don't write... it's just easier to say that most people start out with no ticket and some manage to talk themselves into one or do something else to get one. My biggest pet peeve is not pulling off the road far enough so I have to stand in traffic to talk to you. Stick me over the white line... you're gonna be a little late.... Pull so far off the road I can park next to you... You're getting a "thank you" and no ticket unless I find something else and have to show PC for the stop but I guess if you're getting arrested for something... a ticket is not a big worry.

Believe me... life is much easier when you accept the fact that there are plenty of things you think suck but can't change. Getting bent out of shape doesn't change the fact that when I see a radar detector I write a ticket. Do I write plenty of tickets to people without detectors? You bet. Guess there's no profiling going on there.

Your BS arguement about no prior speeds on their record is less than stellar. If every cop thought that way... no one would ever get a ticket, just warnings all the time. I don't see driving records when I'm on the road... only if they are suspended/revoked or things like parole/probation/sex offender etc and even then it's only read over the radio to me if the comm spec feels it's important.

You almost went to therapy because a police officer approached you with his hand on his weapon and talked loudly because the was trying to talk over passing traffic? I don't even know what to say... you obviously need a male role model in you life. Guess what... I don't walk up to any car without my hand on the grip of my weapon, thump on the thumb break, ready to draw and even after I see no immediate threat... my right hand doesn't go far from my weapon unless I've stopped someone I can positively identify as not threatening like a fellow cop.

BTW... NYSP doesn't have a commissioner.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Traveler said:
All the talk of detectors brought back to my memory of Trooper Eagan's book a few years ago. I'm curious...what do LEOs in general think about a NY Trooper doing a book like that. Any of you guys read it before? I probably bought one of the first editions back in 1991.

I've read the book and would guess that in 1990 it may have been useful. The book is poorly written, full of unflattering comments about police officers. The sad part is it is written by a 20 year veteran trooper who failed to raise in the ranks past the entry level - speaks volumes about his intelligence and level of self-motivation.

The book is dated (16 years old) and never mentions laser or Ka band radar since he has no clue what it is.

Overall, he has the right to make a few bucks off of his training and experience, however one needs to have both to be believed, and his target audience has no idea of just how little of both he really has.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
I'm with him...that's friggin harsh - and ILLEGAL. As a LEO, Trooper4986, I'd think you would know that. All citizens of the US are entitled to equal protection under the law. If you pull someone over and they have a radar detector, treat them differently, and write the ticket differently for having a LEGAL device in their car, you are breaking the law yourself. It's in the Bill of Rights...check it out.

I don't think that cars where around when the bill of rights was written. Also, it's completely up to a Police Officer whether he/she is going to issue a citation(s). You are blowing things out of porportion. When you read that, you read to far into and got the impressiong that he is picking on cars with radar detectors. When I read it, all I read was that when he stops a car with a radar detector, he has set the routine that they get tickets automatically.

jshen

Established Member
Another thread of radar/lazer vs. detectors and now we are at the constitutional argument level.....jeez..

I never gave a warning ticket to those with detectors...as their warning was on the box when they opened it for installation.

I like the above post about putting "detector" on ticket....good move and it will get the attention it deserves in court..

Lawman85

Banned
sleepergt98 said:

If I stop someone with a detector, they definately get NO breaks. They have an intent to speed, that is why they have the detector. It has probably already saved them a few tickets, so they get mine. They also get citations for every violation they have.

sleepergt98

Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
You almost went to therapy because a police officer approached you with his hand on his weapon and talked loudly because the was trying to talk over passing traffic? I don't even know what to say... you obviously need a male role model in you life. Guess what... I don't walk up to any car without my hand on the grip of my weapon, thump on the thumb break, ready to draw and even after I see no immediate threat... my right hand doesn't go far from my weapon unless I've stopped someone I can positively identify as not threatening like a fellow cop.

BTW... NYSP doesn't have a commissioner.
Ok, I try to keep things on a civil level and now you're poking fun at my manhood? Great macho cop attitude. I won't even address that comment with justification as I know who I am and could care less what you have to say about it. I have several friends/family members who are/have been LEOs and I agree they should take precautions to keep themselves safe - such as approaching a car with their hand near their holster snap. No, guns don't scare me...in fact, I can outshoot 80%+ of you guys with your standard issued glock 19 or 17 depending on where you are. The fact that this guy was IRRATE, not talking over traffic, he was litterally turning purple as he screamed and gripped the handle of his gun - I don't know a sane person that wouldn't get effected by that. And driving through that town everyday? Some of you guys just can't drop the macho attitude. I see how much you're against radar detectors because if you speed, you can just hide behind your shield. If you didn't have one would you feel the same way?

BTW, the same cop that pulled me over has several complaints in against him now. There are also many LEOs out there that I know would agree with me. My father for example works for the gov't and with police because of homeland security - and he met many overly macho cops with that...that and he doesn't appreciate getting tailgated through town by a cop simply because he's driving a cobra - doing 28 in a 30 and getting followed for miles...

Lawman85

Banned
sleepergt98 said:
Ok, I try to keep things on a civil level and now you're poking fun at my manhood? Great macho cop attitude. I won't even address that comment with justification as I know who I am and could care less what you have to say about it. I have several friends/family members who are/have been LEOs and I agree they should take precautions to keep themselves safe - such as approaching a car with their hand near their holster snap. No, guns don't scare me...in fact, I can outshoot 80%+ of you guys with your standard issued glock 19 or 17 depending on where you are. The fact that this guy was IRRATE, not talking over traffic, he was litterally turning purple as he screamed and gripped the handle of his gun - I don't know a sane person that wouldn't get effected by that. And driving through that town everyday? Some of you guys just can't drop the macho attitude. I see how much you're against radar detectors because if you speed, you can just hide behind your shield. If you didn't have one would you feel the same way?

BTW, the same cop that pulled me over has several complaints in against him now. There are also many LEOs out there that I know would agree with me. My father for example works for the gov't and with police because of homeland security - and he met many overly macho cops with that...that and he doesn't appreciate getting tailgated through town by a cop simply because he's driving a cobra - doing 28 in a 30 and getting followed for miles...

Out shoot 80% of us?? Unless you can shoot higher than 100 then that won't be me.

sleepergt98

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Out shoot 80% of us?? Unless you can shoot higher than 100 then that won't be me.

That's great...I feel safer the more LEOs that can shoot like that!
Too many times have I been to the local ranges though, and see LEO's missing the target at qualifying distance...sorry...i guess that was somewhat of a blanket statement...no offense intended.

Blown00_L

Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Second time in one thread.

Do NOT post here again until you read my pm!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jshen

Established Member
In the wrong forum

Blown...time to take a hike... :wf:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Blown00_L said:
This is rediculous(SP)..I hate cops who think there shit dont stick and there above everyone else in certain circumstances.. If I had a cop yelling like it happened to you I would be scared prob for some time, Im still a little uneasy when I see them cause of past experiances I have had, one because of shit he tried pulling about speeding, Im doing 65 cruise control he says he nailed me doing 99 yea ok... :bs:

"Shit dont stick"? Hey, I never said it dont stick, its just dont stink............... :read:

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
mswaim said:
The sad part is it is written by a 20 year veteran trooper who failed to raise in the ranks past the entry level - speaks volumes about his intelligence and level of self-motivation.

I can't speak for Trooper Eagan but I can say this... Most of us want nothing to do with being a supervisor because you aren't a cop anymore... NYSP Sergeants answer phones and check reports. They do not go out on the road and patrol. I have heard my current Station Commander say more than once he's thought of giving back the stripes to come back out on the road. The other big reason most guys (myself included) don't want to come off the road... until recently, promotion meant a huge paycut and for guys like me... it still is. I work all the OT I can find and last year I made a couple hundred dollars short of $90k when my base pay was $66k... you do the math. Yes Sergeants base is higher but they don't get the OT so I'd be taking a paycut to take a promotion. There is so much a road Trooper can do detail wise, that most guys have no ambition to take a promotion to sit behind a desk.

Blown00_L said:
I hate cops who think there shit dont stick

I take great pride in knowing I have the ability to clear whole rooms of the barracks :rockon:

sleepergt98 said:
The fact that this guy was IRRATE, not talking over traffic, he was litterally turning purple as he screamed and gripped the handle of his gun - I don't know a sane person that wouldn't get effected by that.

I must assume that you did not join the military at any point in your life or have parents who disciplined you very harshly because normal people don't let someone yelling at them induce fear... maybe some initial anxiety but any military training or good police academy will quickly remedy that... or you'll be back to living with mommy and flipping burgers.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
I'm with him...that's friggin harsh - and ILLEGAL. As a LEO, Trooper4986, I'd think you would know that. All citizens of the US are entitled to equal protection under the law. If you pull someone over and they have a radar detector, treat them differently, and write the ticket differently for having a LEGAL device in their car, you are breaking the law yourself. It's in the Bill of Rights...check it out.

Actually you are wrong!!! The motorist is being stopped for a violation of the law. He is just not given any break because the officer decided that the motorists use of a radar detector gave that motorist numerous breaks in the past and is not entitled to one now. That is perfectly fine and is called discretion.

The fact that you can be quoted as saying the following shows you use bias and prejudice when assessing a motorist - this is the same as profiling people based on race - something happened somewhat recently with the new jersey highway patrol and pulling over motorists based on racial "profiling"...remember how that turned out?

That isnt the same at all. The person was stopped because he actually violated the posted speed limit. He didnt get stopped for possessing a radar detector!!! So it isnt profiling or anything close to the same.

Yes, it's true - people with radar detectors probably speed and have had a few freebees BUT if they have no prior offenses against their license, you have absolutely no proof that that person had sped at any other time, correct? And wouldn't it be be unfair to treat them differently?

Fair? Life isnt fair. If you are caught speeding, you are in violation of the law. If an officer finds mitigating circumstances during his traffic stop and decides to use his discretion to not write a ticket that is up to him. But at the beginning of the stop, each person is getting a ticket. Some people get out of the tickets via the officers discretion while others talk their way into more tickets.

It's cops like you that hurt the profession, scare and intimidate motorists, and make people afraid and tense when they get pulled over

You simply dont have any idea of what you are talking about. I dont think any statement made by "Trooper" are inflammatory nor do they hurt my profession. They are simple and truthful statements. It is too bad you cant see that. Where does he state or infer he tries to scare or intimidate motorists? He simply stated, motorist that use radar detectors are cheating and he will not use any discretion with regards to their violation. They played and now they will pay!

I almost went for therapy thanks to a run in with someone who thought and acted as you might...he pulled me over, started screaming at me, all with his hand on the butt of his glock, shouting about how I was going to get several tickets...on a real powertrip. I was under 25 and driving my mother's Audi. Know what I did wrong? My blinker unit had stopped functioning so that it simply lit up...that was the reason for one of the most traumatic happenings in my life. All because he didn't like seeing a "young punk" in such a car...btw I never exceeded the speed limit nor missed a stop sign and after getting the sh*t scared outta me, I wound up with no ticket.

So basically the big bad officer yelled at you, big freaking deal!!!!
That was so traumatic for you that you "almost" went to therapy for it? How many times before and since that incident did you have to go to therapy?

BTW, I wonder what your police commissioner would think about a statement like that? :nono:

I would bet the head of the NY state police would agree that his Troopers can use discretion as they see fit.

Nowhere did Trooper infer that he pulls people over because they possess a radar detector, nor did he ever say that he changes the charges based on the use of a radar detector, he simply stated that when he pulls someone over for exceeding the speed limit and they possess a radar detector they get no discretion from him.

P.S. please go to the top of the threads page for the Donut Shop and read the guidelines before posting again.

thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread