Police LiDAR a/k/a Laser Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jean

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Why would that be interesting? There is no relevance to your ticket unless you were pulled over by one of the participants of this thread. Then you would have to prove it was them. Even so, everything stated is perfectly acceptable. If you are speeding and get a ticket, with or without a radar detector and the officer writes in the notes section "radar detector" to remind him in court that he doesnt want to give you a break, that has absolutely no bearing on you receiving a ticket! The judge will ask if you were speeding, the answer will be yes, and you are guilty!

The law suppose to be the same for every driver,
If in the note section he write "radar detector" (that he doesnt want to give a break) that mean the officer profile the driver as a speeder because he carry a radar detector .

Lawman85

Banned
jean said:
If in the note section he write "radar detector" (that he doesnt want to give a break) that mean the officer profile the driver as a speeder because he carry a radar detector .

WRONG!!!!

The person was stopped for speeding, I walk up and see a radar detector on the windshield, I issue them a ticket. I have done it several times and explained it in court, and won. Now, if I stopped him only because I saw the radar detector, and had no probable cause, then that would be profiling. Your terminology is all wrong.

So based on what you say, everyone should receive the ticket for the reason they are stopped... I completely agree, that is why I write everyone!!

Lawman85

Banned
sleepergt98 said:
i guess the childish bantering hasn't ended nor are you above it eh? As a moderator I'd think you would show a little restraint...grow up

I'm a moderator now??? wooo hooo.... oh, wait.. no I'm not...

No, I am not above it. :fart:

Pudmunkies

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
WRONG!!!!

The person was stopped for speeding, I walk up and see a radar detector on the windshield, I issue them a ticket. I have done it several times and explained it in court, and won. Now, if I stopped him only because I saw the radar detector, and had no probable cause, then that would be profiling. Your terminology is all wrong.

So based on what you say, everyone should receive the ticket for the reason they are stopped... I completely agree, that is why I write everyone!!

So since you write all tickets no matter what, it shouldnt matter if they have the detector in the first place eh? :coolman: :rolling:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
So you dont exceed the speed limit when driving and only wanted to know where police were shooting radar?

If you dont exceed the speed limit than why would you care where police are shooting radar.

I would believe it is dual fold, but not exclusively to just know where police are shooting radar.

Edit: Do you own a police scanner?

I like to know when I'm being profiled for being in a cobra....

ya right...are you effing kidding me? I speed. I know it. I've got the tickets to prove it.

I don't deny it like some idiots. I know its a matter of time before I get another one. I average one about every 2 years. Last one I got I was being paced 4 lanes over. I'm 23 and have 8 tickets on my record.

But ya see the thing is I know I'm guilty when I'm pulled over. I've never gotten a ticket and had to think whether or not I was speeding.

I'm honest and tell the cop yes I was and I go on my way. I thank them for doing there job too. My dad taught me that they are god when they have you pulled over. So I kiss their ass like I'm trying to get into heaven.

Most of the time being honest makes the cop laugh and I get a reduced fine.

Have I ever thought about taking a ticket to court? No. Why? It would be a waste of time. I know I'm guilty.

Will I learn? Probably not. Will I ever stop speeding? Doubtful. I never bother to hide my detector when I get pulled over. Since I bought one I've never been given a speeding ticket. I've been paced twice and gotten them. I know they know I have one. That's why they pace me instead of lighting me up.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
jean said:

That is not possible!!! Until you stop a vehicle you dont know whether or not there is even a radar detector. So the stop was effected because of the violation of the speed limit. A profile would lead to a traffic stop not occur after a stop. The P.C. for the stop was the speeding violation. If you dont get a break because of a radar detector, that sucks but it isnt profiling and it isnt illegal or unethical or a violation of anything.

The law is the same for everyone as I have stated before, except some drivers talk their way further into tickets and others talk their way out of tickets!!

sleepergt98

Established Member
Now it's got me wondering...do you LEOs admit that profiling does go on as far as cars are concerned, as VirtualSVT stated? Many a time have I had the radar blasted at me, doing the speed limit while someone went by my left 10+mph over me. why? because they were in a minivan or taurus and I was in a shiny mustang...at least i think so?

PS: about the study, I'll look for it...it's something I read a review about around a year ago...not sure as to its validity which is why I was asking. As for myself: I find that I go no more than 5mph over with a radar detector whereas when just "flowing with traffic" that number increases simply because i'm flowing with traffic and not listening to my detector...so, if I were asked to participate in such a study it'd probably hold up in my case...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
Also as stated before by traveler, sometimes it's just piece of mind - not being surprised. How do you guys feel about those things?

Its not really so much peace of mind. Driving within 4 or 5 mph of the speed limit would be peace of mind and cut down on the stress. However, as an example, if you drive consistently 10-15+ mph over the speed limit without a radar detector, it would seem that you're likely to get stopped more frequently than someone with a quality detector. With the increase in frequency, the judgement is left to law officers whether to issue a ticket or give a warning and that will obviously vary. Some will have mercy, some may not. While you're more likely to receive roadside leniency going without the detector, once you've been pulled, whether you get the ticket or not is solely resting on the judgement of the LEO. Now with the detector, you are still driving the hypothetical 15 mph over, but are now getting more warnings with beeps, chirps, flashing lights, arrows, etc. in all likelihood. That, I think, is what the resident LEOs here are trying to convey. Those audible warnings you are receiving from the unit are being looked upon as the same as the officer letting you roll without a ticket after the stop. If he catches you with the detector, he's figuring you've gotten a lot of warnings in the past and that you bought the device for those warnings. That isn't hard for me to reason. He's standing at your window because he just clocked you whether you're using a detector or not. What is he suppose to think if you've got a detector? That said, having the detector will no doubt effect how many times you get pulled when you disregard the limit. The detector is going to save you some of those times. How many is the unknown factor. You just simply accept the fact that eventually you will get pulled over and you will get a ticket in this circumstance.
Fortunately, its been a long time since I've been in that position. I do drive a bit faster than the posted limit usually, but I'm not one to cruise at a sustained 15+ mph and I feel that I do so safely. I would guess that my speeding would fall into an average to high average range, because I am passed about as often as I pass someone else.

cashstacker

Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
Waste all the money you want... When we run laser details, the laser operator's car is hidden and so are the pursuit cars... Can't get a reading with the laser... a quick zap of the radar and your toast just as quick. Our cars are equipped with a Stalker Dual. We're generally only concerned with the vehicle that's moving the fastest, which pops up even faster than a LIDAR averages your speed.

Besides... I can always write you a ticket based on my visual estimate. I may stop sports cars but it's usually only to check out their car... I don't write tickets to Mustang/Camaro/Vette/Firebird drivers unless they talk themselves into a ticket... or have a radar detector. Detectors/jammers are cheating and I don't like cheaters. I put in big letters on the ticket RADAR DETECTOR so the judge knows the violator was trying to cheat and I remember (no deals), should the person decide he wants to waste his time in court while I'm making at least $150 no matter if I'm there for 5 minutes or 3 hours.

The disinformation I hear on these boards makes me laugh. LIDAR averages your speed and displays it in about the same time it takes for your speed to pop up on my radar's counting unit. And jamming on the brakes does nothing but add to my testimony about how I saw the nose of your car dive into the pavement as I watched the taget speed on my radar rapidly drop confirming that your vehicle was my target. I don't know about other agencies but we do not use the hold feature... it ruins tracking history and there is no need for it... you're not getting out of your car or anywhere near mine unless you are being detained/arrested.

Singling people out for having a radar detector seems a little dumb seeing that most of the LEO's have com to the genereal concensus that they don't work. If they don't work how is using one cheating?

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
cashstacker said:
Singling people out for having a radar detector seems a little dumb seeing that most of the LEO's have com to the genereal concensus that they don't work. If they don't work how is using one cheating?

Your question is like saying why arrest someone who only tried to rob the bank... his attempt didn't work so just act like he didn't even try.

Like I posted before... having a detector means you intend to violate the law and don't want to get caught doing so. The good guy (read police) is always supposed to be more heavily armed and if the bad guy (read violator) is using something in an effort to defeat one of my tools... that's cheating.

We have begun to beat a dead horse I think though... Us (LE) saying that we are generally unwilling to give reductions to violators with detectors isn't going to influence people to not waste their money on detectors just like you guys whining to us about not giving people with detctors breaks isn't going to change our personal ticket practices.

In the end it comes down to this... Don't violate the traffic laws and you wont have to worry about me writing you a ticket because you felt the need to get some gadget and stick it to your windshield.

I find it easier to accept the fact that there are things about this world that I don't think are fair or right but know that I can't change. Everyone of you could have been a police officer if you wanted to try to change the world. I'm far to wise to think I can change much more than a tire once in a while.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
sleepergt98 said:
Now it's got me wondering...do you LEOs admit that profiling does go on as far as cars are concerned, as VirtualSVT stated?

woah woah woah woah woah.....I was kidding.

When they do a speed trap down here they light up everybody on the road.

Last edited:

Lawman85

Banned
sleepergt98 said:
Now it's got me wondering...do you LEOs admit that profiling does go on as far as cars are concerned, as VirtualSVT stated? Many a time have I had the radar blasted at me, doing the speed limit while someone went by my left 10+mph over me. why? because they were in a minivan or taurus and I was in a shiny mustang...at least i think so?

PS: about the study, I'll look for it...it's something I read a review about around a year ago...not sure as to its validity which is why I was asking. As for myself: I find that I go no more than 5mph over with a radar detector whereas when just "flowing with traffic" that number increases simply because i'm flowing with traffic and not listening to my detector...so, if I were asked to participate in such a study it'd probably hold up in my case...

No profiling doesn't go on.... atleast not at my agency. You have to have articulable suspicion to stop a car. If you don't have it, then the stop is illegal. As far as shootin vehicles, your statement has a flaw. Radar can't be "blasted" at a single car, it covers several lanes. Laser is the only device that can single out a vehicle. When operating radar or laser, the first rule is to visual estimate the speed of a vehicle, then verify your estimate with the machine. So if your in a shiny mustang and I don't estimate your speed is more than 10 over the limit, I won't even put the little red dot on you and waiste my time. I stop speeders no matter what they are driving.

sleepergt98

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
No profiling doesn't go on.... atleast not at my agency. You have to have articulable suspicion to stop a car. If you don't have it, then the stop is illegal. As far as shootin vehicles, your statement has a flaw. Radar can't be "blasted" at a single car, it covers several lanes. Laser is the only device that can single out a vehicle. When operating radar or laser, the first rule is to visual estimate the speed of a vehicle, then verify your estimate with the machine. So if your in a shiny mustang and I don't estimate your speed is more than 10 over the limit, I won't even put the little red dot on you and waiste my time. I stop speeders no matter what they are driving.

Thanks for the clarification. Well said. Unfortunately there are some small town cops around here that will tailgate you for miles (seemingly trying to get you to speed or make a mistake) just because you are in a sports car =/. Some of us save the racing and speeding for the track, no around town where it's unsafe, ya know? But now I'm just rambling...so thanks for the info lawman85

Lawman85

Banned
sleepergt98 said:
Thanks for the clarification. Well said. Unfortunately there are some small town cops around here that will tailgate you for miles (seemingly trying to get you to speed or make a mistake) just because you are in a sports car =/. Some of us save the racing and speeding for the track, no around town where it's unsafe, ya know? But now I'm just rambling...so thanks for the info lawman85

It's good you save it for the track, there aren't enough people that do. As long as your car is legal (taillights, brakelights, taglilghts, window tint, etc), then you shouldn't have a problem.

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
A lot cops profile cars and drivers,some wont admit it, some will, big deal. Get over it, there's nothing wrong with it. If they didn't profile, they wouldn't catch half the idiots driving around with drugs in their car, etc....

My point is- profiling exists, it exists for a reason, and it does more good than harm. Now get over it and go on with your life.

(not directed to anyone in particular)

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
iCEMANSGCCC said:
A lot cops profile cars and drivers,some wont admit it, some will, big deal. Get over it, there's nothing wrong with it. If they didn't profile, they wouldn't catch half the idiots driving around with drugs in their car, etc....

My point is- profiling exists, it exists for a reason, and it does more good than harm. Now get over it and go on with your life.

(not directed to anyone in particular)

Basing you patrol tactics on numbers isn't profiling... it's called police work. If I know 1 in 3 cars I stop that is full of kids after 1AM in a certain area of town ends in a DWI or drugs arrest... guess where I'm hanging out at 1AM and stopping every car I can with kids in it for whatever violations I can find. Carlos Mencia had a good skit on profiling about Arabs... it was 19 Arab males who hijacked jet liners and crashed them into buildings... hence being tougher on checking Arab males seem logical at airports... the same hold up on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread