Police: "Professional Courtesy"

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
In the police world there's this thing commonly known as "Professional Courtesy." To put it bluntly, this means the off duty police officer will be let off with a warning as soon as the the officer initiating the traffic stop figures out he's just stopped another off duty officer. Depending on what side of the country you're on, the officer may simply flash his badge to show he's an officer, or the hint could be made in a more subtle way sounding something like this: "Sir, just so you're aware, my 'service weapon' is (or isn't) in the vehicle with me." They might verify credentials and the traffic stop is done. What are your thoughts on this?

Let me get this out on the table before I continue. I'd be a liar if I said I haven't gotten out of a ticket since I've been a cop, by one way or another, letting the officer know that I'm a Trooper. This was a couple years ago, but I had gotten stopped for going 11 over (86 in a 75), and got a verbal warning because it was made aware to the officer that I was a Trooper. I didn't think a second thing about it at the time.

Anyways, I've done some soul searching on this lately I've pretty much come to the conclusion that "professional courtesy" is the equivalent of "I'm a cop so I'm allowed to drive like a moron because I know I'll get out of it." That's not okay with me. I guess I was under the understanding when I took an oath to serve that we're held to a higher standard than the normal citizen, so why should I be given a free pass as opposed to someone else doing the same thing? I don't get it. In the same breath though, I'll say I don't write police officers, nurses, or fire fighters tickets (unless they're doing something completely absurd and act like a prick about it when I contact them). However, I'll always politely make them aware that they're held to a higher standard and to pay more attention to their actions. I know that sounds contradictory, but I guess I justify it by knowing the sacrifice they make every day with little gratitude. Am I wrong? Maybe. But that's my train of thought.

What do you think? Is it okay for police officers to be given a "professional courtesy" or am I just reading into it too much? Discuss...

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
In the police world there's this thing commonly known as "Professional Courtesy." To put it bluntly, this means the off duty police officer will be let off with a warning as soon as the the officer initiating the traffic stop figures out he's just stopped another off duty officer. Depending on what side of the country you're on, the officer may simply flash his badge to show he's an officer, or the hint could be made in a more subtle way sounding something like this: "Sir, just so you're aware, my 'service weapon' is (or isn't) in the vehicle with me." They might verify credentials and the traffic stop is done. What are your thoughts on this?

Let me get this out on the table before I continue. I'd be a liar if I said I haven't gotten out of a ticket since I've been a cop, by one way or another, letting the officer know that I'm a Trooper. This was a couple years ago, but I had gotten stopped for going 11 over (86 in a 75), and got a verbal warning because it was made aware to the officer that I was a Trooper. I didn't think a second thing about it at the time.

Anyways, I've done some soul searching on this lately I've pretty much come to the conclusion that "professional courtesy" is the equivalent of "I'm a cop so I'm allowed to drive like a moron because I know I'll get out of it." That's not okay with me. I guess I was under the understanding when I took an oath to serve that we're held to a higher standard than the normal citizen, so why should I be given a free pass as opposed to someone else doing the same thing? I don't get it. In the same breath though, I'll say I don't write police officers, nurses, or fire fighters tickets (unless they're doing something completely absurd and act like a prick about it when I contact them). However, I'll always politely make them aware that they're held to a higher standard and to pay more attention to their actions. I know that sounds contradictory, but I guess I justify it by knowing the sacrifice they make every day with little gratitude. Am I wrong? Maybe. But that's my train of thought.

What do you think? Is it okay for police officers to be given a "professional courtesy" or am I just reading into it too much? Discuss...

You were doing 11 over. Now if you were doing 100+ and he let you go then yes, i would see how you could be mad. If you are within a certain "realm" then i dont see a problem in it.

Breakneck Bride

Established Member
I'm a big fan of the "Professional Courtesy" .. I'm not a cop but I am in the military, so between a flash of military ID and the fact that I'm a woman, usually does the trick. However, not always, on occasion I have to use the excuse of, "I don't know how to drive stick well, I must have slipped the clutch and the tires broke loose." Or another classic I've used, "I slowly blew through the stop sign because I'm afraid to stall" .. all while batting the eyes and looking as pathetic as possible.. I'm almost 24 and never had a ticket that carried points :)

So thankyou cops and troopers out there for that courtesy!! haha

king nothing

Established Member
Im a volunteer firefighter. I was just discussing this on another forum. My position is that i will never ask for a break, but I will take one when given (who wouldnt).I have gotten one ticket since being on the fire department, and Im positive that my firefighter plates have kept me from at least getting pulled over several times (police pulling up quickly behind me, seeing FF plates, and backing off). It may not be "fair" to the general public, but then the general public doesnt go into burning buildings or put their life on the line as a police officer every day

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
You were doing 11 over. Now if you were doing 100+ and he let you go then yes, i would see how you could be mad. If you are within a certain "realm" then i dont see a problem in it.

I hear ya. You're right, I wasn't doing anything completely unreasonable. It was only 11 over so I'm not "mad," so to speak. I probably would have been given a warning either way. However, I made it a point to make it known that I'm a Trooper in the attempt to get me out of it. That's what I've grown to have an issue with (for me).

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
when my buddy was a state tropper he was asked about this, is response was " well when you work at burger king you get to eat the fries," now he rarely got pulled over but did get me out of a jam at the street races though :) i dont see anything wrong with it.
but on one of my many ride alongs he pulled a lady over for 50 in a 35, she dropped her bothers name, my buddy came back to the car and got on the computer. he contacted another police department and confirmed he was her brother then proceeded to let her go. i though that went a little too far, the "courtesy: should not include family members.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
There should be a certain amount of professional courtesy.

I also agree there should be a limit on what is endangering the public at the same time.

11 over on the interstate should come with a scolding, but no ticket. 11 over on a surface street with traffic should still involve a citation being issued as well as a scolding.

When I was on a volunteer fire dept I was given a courtesy on one occasion because I had the FD decal on my windshield. I never mentioned anything, but the officer let me off with a warning because of the decal after asking my affiliation.

With that said, I would never expect a courtesy to be given for gross misconduct or endangering public lives for any person.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
I can appreciate the OP's humility, but no need to feel ashamed of it. Just like the burger king comment mentioned already, that's just one of the perks of being a police officer. People of similar profession generally will cut breaks or barter services.

boatcop1

Established Member
I have no problem with it. As a civil servent you make and have made sacrifice that most people cannot fathom. Does that mean you are above the law? of course not. But you DONT put your pants on like everyone else in the morning. When you put yours on you know that THIS could be the day you dont come home be it by fire, crime, war etc! So for that I salute the uniformed services and servents protecting us and mine. Thank you for your service Trooper!:beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol @ 11 over. shouldnt have even been pulled over unless all of traffic was doing 20 under and you were that one douchebag weaving through.

last night driving home, speed limit on 205 is 65. the SLOW LANE was doing 75 when i merged. I was in the middle doing 80-82 and the fast lane had to be doing 85 easy.

I have absolutely no problem with you getting a break. IMO any emergency or military service men/women off-duty should get the same, within reason. 11 over? waste of a pull-over IMO unless like i said, traffic flow was doing way under.

Common

Established Member
OP, we may have words on other topics but you are wrong on this one. There is no need to "soul search" about this stuff. If this is something you deem "wrong" in policing, you will burn out fast on the force. Countless civilians get breaks for worse offenses.

Look at it from this side, there are MANY things that you cant do and get to keep your job while civilians can, so if this is one of the things you CAN do, so be it. If a civilian got a dui, he gets a fine and that is the end of it in most cases. IF you get a dui, your life is over as you know it.

tj04cobra

Established Member
I don't see the problem with you getting a break either. 11 over is nothing. Do 11 over here on the freeways when traffic is flowing and you are going to get run off the road because most people are doing 15-20 over.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I'm a big fan of the "Professional Courtesy" .. I'm not a cop but I am in the military, so between a flash of military ID and the fact that I'm a woman, usually does the trick. However, not always, on occasion I have to use the excuse of, "I don't know how to drive stick well, I must have slipped the clutch and the tires broke loose." Or another classic I've used, "I slowly blew through the stop sign because I'm afraid to stall" .. all while batting the eyes and looking as pathetic as possible.. I'm almost 24 and never had a ticket that carried points :)

So thankyou cops and troopers out there for that courtesy!! haha

Yup i've gotten the military professional courtesy on a couple occasions. Its nice at times.

You guys got lucky.

My wife and I got pulled over in Arizona once for 8 over on my way back from emergency leave in California returning from my fathers funeral going back to Little Rock. After I gave him my license and registration, the cop asked what my hurry was. So since he asked, I explained that I was on active duty on emergency leave returning from my dads funeral, showed him my ID card and emergency leave paperwork. Had no bearing on him giving me the ticket.

Based on that experience I wouldn't count on police professional courtesy extending to military personnel.

Users who are viewing this thread