polished vs. chrome rims

04silvervenom

Established Member
What do you guys think would be the better choice ? Looks like there are many pros and cons to each one. If you were buying expensive rims what would you pick?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Chrome.

/end thread.

There is no comparison. Chrome looks better, is more durable, easier to care for and requires nearly no maintenance.

Polished wheels are a PITA to keep looking good, stain easily, labor intensive, lose their 'look' pretty quickly too...did I mention labor intensive?

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Chrome.

/end thread.

There is no comparison. Chrome looks better, is more durable, easier to care for and requires nearly no maintenance.

Polished wheels are a PITA to keep looking good, stain easily, labor intensive, lose their 'look' pretty quickly too...did I mention labor intensive?

lol and they are labor intensive.

04silvervenom

Established Member
Chrome seems like its also more expensive, but I guess it would be worth it over the long run, with the cleaning part. I also believe chrome might be heavier but I will confirm that today by calling the company that sells them.

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
After switching from chrome Saleen Replicas to Polished AFS Cobra wheels, I have to agree with the rest, these polished wheels have water spots that will not come off and lost the polished look after only 1 year.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Chrome might be nice, but they eventually rust/corrode out and once the chrome is gone the wheels are trash. aluminum can almost always be polished out with enough work, so it depends on what you prefer I guess...

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Polished and clear coated rims. My 01 Cobra rims hold up very very well. I think the weight is 25 # or something like that.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Chrome does add some weight; but really not a significant amount.

Rubenk: Not sure whose chrome you're referring to, but most chrome that is properly done and not cheap, Chinese "flash chrome" will last MANY many years and is highly corrosion resistant compared to the bare metal surface.

Tyrone: Try some Adams Metal Polish 1, 2 and some time, I bet at least some of the spots will come out.

antiv6

Established Member
chrome is better, have you ever polished something? its not fun and takes forever, chrome will look good with little maintenance, unless your a great polisher after a year polished wheels never look like when you got them, chrome ones always do

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Chrome does add some weight; but really not a significant amount.

Rubenk: Not sure whose chrome you're referring to, but most chrome that is properly done and not cheap, Chinese "flash chrome" will last MANY many years and is highly corrosion resistant compared to the bare metal surface.

Tyrone: Try some Adams Metal Polish 1, 2 and some time, I bet at least some of the spots will come out.

How about my factory chrome ones that are peeling from the inside out?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont worry mine are doing the same and my car doesnt see rain and has 10000 miles. :shrug:

good to know i'm not the only one! But if they were polished that wouldnt happen...and as much time as some of you guys spend detailing your cars i'm surprsied you're opposed to polishing wheels...

Last edited:

Steve2050

Established Member
I have Holeshot holestars on my race car. They are polished and when they were new they looked beautiful. After only one race season, they looked dull and had spots all over. This is a race car that only sees the track use in good weather. Never again.
mblgjr, I'll order some Adams 1&2 and give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread