Polishing Headlights?

swami

Established Member
i only have 24,000 miles but after installing some silverstar headlight bulbs and carefully inspecting my handiwork i noticed those inevitable rock chips. does anybody have any suggestions how i might get rid of or at least reduce these mars? i don't have any haze because i keep my car covered. i was thinking about using some of meguiars plastic cleaner and polish. TIA

2001SaleenJZ

Established Member
Try it..

The Meguiars is a great product. I use it often. For the price, I think $1 per little bag, it does magical things. The best results come from doing it a couple times, really put some muscle into it and it gets better and better each time you do it. Way better than $300 for new lights....And be sure to put a good wax on it after !! It's well worth the time and it's worth as much effort as you're willing to put into it....

Jeff

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
+2 on the Meguiars....I use it on my new headlights often and they look brand new still. I usually do it once a month, and take my time.

vin2you, I have the silverstars as well, and I love them. If you're looking for something that is going to look different than stock bulbs, you won't like them. But if you want something bright as hell and don't mind them "looking" like the stock bulb buy them. The light when looking at it is a little whiter, but you will notice a HUGE difference in visibility! The just light up the road.

swami

Established Member
yes the silverstars are noticeably brighter than stock. i've been driving my kaw zzr600 all summer and it has better headlights than the cobra so i had to do something! still not as good as the kaw but i am pleased with the whiter light and better visibility. i plan on replacing the fog lights as well. i did a search here on this and some people swear by the ebay junk but i'm not willing to risk ruining a switch or light socket to save a couple of bucks and others opined that they weren't as bright as stock but looked better. i am only interested in better visibility when i am behind the wheel. they are on sale at pep boys for $24.99 after rebate till 11-03-07. HTH

Tractionless1

Established Member
www.stickercity.com Get the lamps looking great throw on some 3M film and never look back!!! They have tinted too for you guys that are into that. It even makes the stockers look glossier, and will take a 1" dia. rock at 120mph and not crack the lamp.

swami

Established Member
i finally polished my lens with some 30+ year old meguiars cleaner and polish and it took my lights up to the next level. it smoothed it up like after waxing and the light are even brighter. i bought that stuff years ago for a motorcycle face shield and it still works great. now i want silverstar parking lights and driving lights. nobody flashes highbeams at me on lowbeam either. my lights look like they have haze inside but i suspect it is dust.HTH

SpectorV

Established Member
I keep my headlights/taillights protected like I do the paint and they are all perfect. Do some of you never touch the headlights/taillights much like some dont ever put anything on the black trim?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I take a wire brush to mine once a week and they look terrific....
No but really, a good alternative to the silverstars IMO are the www.eurolights.com I ran silverstars and don't know if it was a coincidence, but burned through one fog and one headlight in a few months. Yes, I rubbed my palm all over the bulbs to clean them. But I've run the eurolights for 5 years, 2 in the last cobra and 3 in this one and just now replaced one of the fogs.

Users who are viewing this thread