Poll: Column or Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifters?

Column (stationary) or Wheel (non-stationary)?

• Column (Stationary)

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Wheel (Non-Stationary)

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
If you were purchasing a car with paddle shifters, would you prefer the paddles be column mounted (stationary), meaning they do not turn with the wheel, or, would you prefer them to move with the wheel?

What do you think the pro's and con's of each configuration are?

oldmodman

Established Member
Column mounted.

That is the only way that you will develop a muscle memory as to their position.
Otherwise you might grab an up when you want down or the other way around.

The gear selection paddles should always be in the same position in relation to your eyes. After a while your hands will instinctively know where to reach. regardless of steering wheel position.

10splaya22

Established Member
I could see how wheel mounted paddles would make sense on a F1 car as the wheel probably doesn't make a full rotation lock to lock and the drivers hand don't change position on the wheel. For a street driven car, I could see how the paddles may get lost when turning.

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
I could see how wheel mounted paddles would make sense on a F1 car as the wheel probably doesn't make a full rotation lock to lock and the drivers hand don't change position on the wheel. For a street driven car, I could see how the paddles may get lost when turning.

These are my sentiments as well. I don't think anything should be left to guess in regards to the location of the shift paddles; especially since they are moving in an orbit around the wheel, and there will be a point in time where what was once up is now down. Put someone with very little previous experience behind the wheel, and you could either have a blown motor or a missed corner.

I'm actually surprised it's closer to a split down the middle of preference. Could you wheel guys chime in as to WHY you prefer the shifters moving? I'm intrigued.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
These are my sentiments as well. I don't think anything should be left to guess in regards to the location of the shift paddles; especially since they are moving in an orbit around the wheel, and there will be a point in time where what was once up is now down. Put someone with very little previous experience behind the wheel, and you could either have a blown motor or a missed corner.

I'm actually surprised it's closer to a split down the middle of preference. Could you wheel guys chime in as to WHY you prefer the shifters moving? I'm intrigued.

There is actually no issue with getting lost when turning...even at full rotation. You get used to it so quickly. It's actually the thing I miss most about my M3 is the SMG transmission and the flappy paddles.

I'm honestly trying to figure out how I would work a column mounted set. I would constantly be moving my hands back to the paddles to shift on a twisty road. With steering wheel mounted ones, you just shift.

Users who are viewing this thread