POLL: How many switched from a TVS to a Twin-Screw vs. Twin-Screw to TVS?

Who swapped TVS to Twin Screw or visa-versa?

• Swapped Kenne Bell to TVS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
This could be a very interesting poll.

UPDATE: If you swapped a stock blower to a TVS, please don't take the poll. That is not a poll option. Thanks!

Note: as of 1/10/15, one of the 2 voters that swapped the Whipple to KB was in error. This should be 1 vote.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
So....why would this be of interest? I can't fathom anyone making that move. Not because of better or worse performance, but because of perceived personal value.

In the never-ending quest for "more", "bigger", etc, these are the things that keep the aftermarket alive and semi-thriving in a mediocre economy.

Let's look at any purchase:

Client A buys a house that's bigger than their family will ever use. They pay a premium for that perceived need above and beyond what their true needs are.

Client B buys a house in an equally nice neighborhood and of a size and budget that perfectly fits their family's needs and means.

Which client has the ability to fully utilize and enjoy their purchase? Perhaps have a little budget left over for supporting items (landscaping, furnishings, etc)? Which client has made the most responsible decision?

The rational answer would be Client B. But, Client A will rationalize their decision to themselves and their contemporaries til the cows come home.

Client B might perhaps see Client A's property and aspire to own it; not because it better suits their needs, but because it's "more" than they presently have.

That's the entire dynamic of the retail system in a couple of sentences. It's why there are Mercedes in driveways when a Honda may drive, ride and perform equally well and at a better price.

The Honda owner may aspire to own a Benz someday. It's the natural thing.

But a Benz owner will never aspire to owning a Honda.....nor Client A have a desire to live in Client B's wonderful home. Why? The answer is a three letter word and it's perfectly fine for that answer to drive our wants vs needs. It helps drive the economy. Helps us want to "do better", whether "better" is a reality or not.

At the end of the day, one can buy what they "want" or buy what they "need". In the case of a supercharger, buy what you think will make you feel the best. It's a personalization of the car. It's tires, wheels, paint, curb feelers. It's what makes it yours.

You don't need someone else's thoughts nor approval. It's not their car and it's not their dough. As for the pros and cons of each, that has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum.

Just one more guy's opinion. But not about a supercharger.

bj

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
At the end of the day, one can buy what they "want" or buy what they "need". In the case of a supercharger, buy what you think will make you feel the best. It's a personalization of the car. It's tires, wheels, paint, curb feelers. It's what makes it yours.

You don't need someone else's thoughts nor approval. It's not their car and it's not their dough. As for the pros and cons of each, that has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum.

Just one more guy's opinion. But not about a supercharger.

bj

Just about the best post I read in a long time.
Right on the spot.

Although, I also think its interesting to see what is peoples reasons and thoughts on going between superchargers.
It may not be for more, bigger or better. Lets see!

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
So....why would this be of interest? I can't fathom anyone making that move. Not because of better or worse performance, but because of perceived personal value. bj

Understanding how many owners of both solutions (TVS and Twin Screw) made the switch in the other direction should be solid information that can be considered valuable when making a supercharger purchasing decision.

More times than not, members post up that what they purchased is the best but never experienced others. This is true with headers, tires, aftermarket upgrades, and even superchargers. Hearing lessons learned from those who have multi-vendor experience seems more valuable than from those who don't.

When I made this poll, I had no idea how many made the switch in either direction and realized that the data could point ether one way or the other. Either way, it would be valuable information to SVTP members.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Understanding how many owners of both solutions (TVS and Twin Screw) made the switch in the other direction should be solid information that can be considered valuable when making a supercharger purchasing decision.

More times than not, members post up that what they purchased is the best but never experienced others. This is true with headers, tires, aftermarket upgrades, and even superchargers. Hearing lessons learned from those who have multi-vendor experience seems more valuable than from those who don't.

When I made this poll, I had no idea how many made the switch in either direction and realized that the data could point ether one way or the other. Either way, it would be valuable information to SVTP members.

Perhaps I didn't make my point well.

The poll is only designed to get you quantitative data. As for "how many", I'd bet 0% will have gone from a twin screw to a TVS in the GT500 world. It happens quite often in the Cobra realm. It's about to happen a lot more with the upcoming release of the GEN II for Terminator. A small percentage would have gone the TVS to Screw route with GT500s for the reasons I cited earlier.

As for the details, product benefits, pros and cons of each platform, that's the part that's been thoroughly documented and simple to attain.

What the poll also doesn't give you/the members is any qualitative data. The qualitative portion will be a mix of the documented and validated product benefits and the anecdotal aspects that I focused on in my post ("I bought it because I wanted it/it was bigger/status/my friend has one/I want to run 8's, etc")

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
You would have been better off to add how many people have a tvs and make more power or run better times than people with a whipple or KB.....

TVS VERT

Established Member
I was close to pulling my 2.9 whipple off to run a ported/welded trinity ....actually had on my shelf for a long time going back and forth ...for once in my life I left well enough alone and now it's in the market section. But in terms of bang for the buck its ultra hard to beat a tvs on a stock long block setup below 20 psi

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I went from TVS to KB 3.6.....I wanted to be like the rest of the cool kids...lol

Making the jump to these bigger twin screws requires a pretty hefty investment though. IMO if you plan to run 20psi on a big blower you will be wasting your money...BUT if you can run E85 & do a built motor...well....the twin screws are where the party is at. 99.9% of the Shelby owners will only ever need a TVS...us .1% are just psychopaths...lol.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I went from TVS to KB 3.6.....I wanted to be like the rest of the cool kids...lol

Making the jump to these bigger twin screws requires a pretty hefty investment though. IMO if you plan to run 20psi on a big blower you will be wasting your money...BUT if you can run E85 & do a built motor...well....the twin screws are where the party is at. 99.9% of the Shelby owners will only ever need a TVS...us .1% are just psychopaths...lol.

You whack job, you. ;)

bj

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I was close to pulling my 2.9 whipple off to run a ported/welded trinity ....actually had on my shelf for a long time going back and forth ...for once in my life I left well enough alone and now it's in the market section. But in terms of bang for the buck its ultra hard to beat a tvs on a stock long block setup below 20 psi

Phew! Thanks. You almost blew my theory!

Happy holidays dude.

bj

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member

Jay,

How much can you save going with a TVS vs. a 2.8 KB? I'd like to know what you mean by "hefty savings". I just looked at the KB price list and see this kit: 2.8L KIT INCLUDES MAMMOTH™ 4.5" INLET SYSTEM, (FILTER, METER, POLISHED RAM AIR PIPE, TB COUPLER, DUAL 75 THROTTLE BODY (168MM $100 EXTRA) FLASH TUNER, 1000HP RATED DUAL BOOST-A-PUMP sells for $4,499.

I also don't see a waste of money considering that I have a 4 year-old version of the same 2.8 kit with stock motor and small cams (no springs or retainer upgrade) at 19.5 PSI as shown on my 3.5 Bar MAP Sensor and it performs great. I installed 72# injectors for a song and they are at 72% duty cycle. I put down more power on the same day on the same dyno as another 2007 with the same cams and brand new TVS. Even if we made the same HP, I still have room to increase boost and get more to support future mods.

Here is my dyno sheet on my 93 pump gas pulley:

Benscarat19PSIOctober72014_zpsdda28a89.png

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Could slower times with KB/Whipple vs TVS, be attributed to the fact that KB/Whipple make more instantaneous torque, and slower 60' times, because it blows the tires off the rims on the launch? Just throwing this out there, because some are saying you run quicker ET's with a TVS vs Twin Screw at the same, or even LESS hp levels?

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I guess it depends on what you have but, you can get a 2013 TVS for $1700.00..give or take so that's a pretty large savings over $4500 for a KB. I've already got the CAI/TB so I already spent that money awhile back...however if you had to add it then you do start getting closer to the $4500.00 figure although still at about half. I think alot of GT500 owners at least already have the CAI and perhaps the TB so that's expense they've already paid. I have 72lb injectors and KB BAP to go in but, I'm probably going over board and don't really need both. At this point I think some are even using the 2013 injectors which are less expensive yet. Even if I add in all of my stuff together for my install I'm at about $3500.00 so, $1000.00 savings over $4500.00 KB. I'm not picking sides just stating why I did mine..cost less and gives more than I'll ever need. If I were going to race and had more money I may have considered KB...it just wasn't for me and my set up.

Just my .02. I'll never use all the power I have so it's more for fun..and most of my parts were bought used.

Note to mine was from stock 2011 blower to 2013 TVS..so not really a choice above but, at one time KB was in the picture. I just couldn't justify the entire expense for my use

Last edited:

breoland

Established Member
Jay,

How much can you save going with a TVS vs. a 2.8 KB? I'd like to know what you mean by "hefty savings". I just looked at the KB price list and see this kit: 2.8L KIT INCLUDES MAMMOTH™ 4.5" INLET SYSTEM, (FILTER, METER, POLISHED RAM AIR PIPE, TB COUPLER, DUAL 75 THROTTLE BODY (168MM $100 EXTRA) FLASH TUNER, 1000HP RATED DUAL BOOST-A-PUMP sells for $4,499.

I also don't see a waste of money considering that I have a 4 year-old version of the same 2.8 kit with stock motor and small cams (no springs or retainer upgrade) at 19.5 PSI as shown on my 3.5 Bar MAP Sensor and it performs great. I installed 72# injectors for a song and they are at 72% duty cycle. I put down more power on the same day on the same dyno as another 2007 with the same cams and brand new TVS. Even if we made the same HP, I still have room to increase boost and get more to support future mods.

Your cams are helping you out more with a twincrew. We basically have the same setup stock motor running 19.5 lbs of boost
Difference is you have 30+ hp more with cams compared to my stock cams

Users who are viewing this thread