poly bushing motor mounts

Phoenix0783

Established Member
I'm thinking of getting these because they don't look like they'd ever break. Any drawbacks to them?

yAg27LS.jpg

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Yes, poly are more stiff than regular rubber. That is the only cushion between the rotation/ vibration of your engine and your frame.
I replaced my stock front suspension bushings with poly a year ago, granted the car would give a little in the cornering because they were old bushings, and rubber. Now with the poly I feel every corner, bump, crack, and in even surface I go over. It's a stiffer ride.

If you do get them, I would recommend upgrading the bolts to Grade 8, the ones in your pic look like Grade 5. Anything can break with the right amount if torque.
Lastly, can you get just the poly bushing if you do go this route and they wear out or tear?

Phoenix0783

Established Member
I don't want to use cheap motor mounts. Is there another set you would recommend?

They have a standard bushing they use for their motor mounts, so I can get that separately.

laddanator

Established Member
I don't want to use cheap motor mounts. Is there another set you would recommend?

They have a standard bushing they use for their motor mounts, so I can get that separately.

You can't beat Ford stock motor mounts. Get in touch with the Ford dealer on here and order the stock replacement. Poly mounts of any kind suck! I had a poly trans mount and man the vibration was terrible! I ripped that junk out and went stock, no problems since.

Helomech74

Established Member
I have a set of Energy Suspension motor mounts that only have about 4500 miles on them if you're interested.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I put the Energy Suspension PolyUrethane motor and trans mount in my old fox. You definitely feel more of the vibrations, especially at idle, BUT it wasn't so bad it was annoying. My fox was a 331 with a cam and only at idle would I really feel the vibrations. Other than that, I actually liked how solid/stiff it made the car feel. Just my $.02

Phoenix0783

Established Member
You can't beat Ford stock motor mounts. Get in touch with the Ford dealer on here and order the stock replacement. Poly mounts of any kind suck! I had a poly trans mount and man the vibration was terrible! I ripped that junk out and went stock, no problems since.

Do you know his username?

SVT CAMR

Established Member
FWIW… I have the prothane motor mounts and the energy suspension trans mount. Yes there is a slight vibration at idle in the steering wheel. After that you would never know. I was thinking about changing back to my stockers but decided against it because it was a non issue.

Also FWIW! The stock mounts suck for racing. I picked up a full tenth with my poly mounts.

Bottom line for me the poly mounts are streetable. The one you show in the pics look even more aggressive than the energy suspensions or prothane mounts.

Keep in mind if you do the motor you should also do the trans or vise versa.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
An old trick that PHP taught me when I had stock mounts. Remove drivers side stock mount drill hole and weld 1/2" nut then install mount back onto the car. get a 3/8" turn buckle mount it to the nut on the stock mount then drill a hold into the frame and bolt to the other side of the turn buckle to the frame. Disconnect when leaving the track connect when you get to the track. I shit you not I picked up 1.5 tents doing this. car went from a 11.98 to 11.83 with just that mod! Simple solution for the weekend warrior.

Since then I picked up the poly mounts.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
An old trick that PHP taught me when I had stock mounts. Remove drivers side stock mount drill hole and weld 1/2" nut then install mount back onto the car. get a 3/8" turn buckle mount it to the nut on the stock mount then drill a hold into the frame and bolt to the other side of the turn buckle to the frame. Disconnect when leaving the track connect when you get to the track. I shit you not I picked up 1.5 tents doing this. car went from a 11.98 to 11.83 with just that mod! Simple solution for the weekend warrior.

Since then I picked up the poly mounts.

lol that's some old skool stuff right there, used to do that on my 56 chevy/ As for the solid mounts I would shy away from them on a street car because you will feel every vibration, the poly mounts are a middle of the road compromise but the stockers have hung in their fine for me.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I broke my stock motor mounts, replaced them with Prothane motor mounts and ES trans mount like SVT CAMR. There was some vibration, especially right after I put them in, but now I hardly notice.

laddanator

Established Member
I broke my stock motor mounts, replaced them with Prothane motor mounts and ES trans mount like SVT CAMR. There was some vibration, especially right after I put them in, but now I hardly notice.

Mine was so bad, the vibration felt like it was jarring my teeth. True story.

Users who are viewing this thread