Popping and clunking noises after lowered the Shelby? is it normal?

Salar

Established Member
Lowered the GT500, took it for a ride and there is this popping sound from front every time I go over a bump. How can I eliminate it? checked all the bolts, everything is fine.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Pay close attention to the sway bar end links (it can be tricky tightening the factory fasteners back up), strut to spindle bolts/nuts, and the nut atop the strut. Sounds like something wasn't torqued properly...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
When you lowered the car, did you use Steeda HD strut mounts, or something similar from another company?

steeda-555-8120-HD-strut-mounts.jpg

or...did you keep and reuse the stock ones?

Shocks003-vi.jpg

If you used the HD style aftermarket mounts, that's your issue. They are noisy and make a clunking noise when you go over bumps. It makes the car feel/sound like a cheap wagon. This is why I use the factory strut mounts with camber correction bolts, and not the HD mounts.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Troy, that is the newer style on the left, correct? It looks like the bolts might be larger/longer. Do they fit the stock strut tower holes without modification on earlier cars?

Salar

Established Member
When you lowered the car, did you use Steeda HD strut mounts, or something similar from another company?

steeda-555-8120-HD-strut-mounts.jpg

or...did you keep and reuse the stock ones?

Shocks003-vi.jpg

If you used the HD style aftermarket mounts, that's your issue. They are noisy and make a clunking noise when you go over bumps. It makes the car feel/sound like a cheap wagon. This is why I use the factory strut mounts with camber correction bolts, and not the HD mounts.

No, I reused the stock ones.

Salar

Established Member
Pay close attention to the sway bar end links (it can be tricky tightening the factory fasteners back up), strut to spindle bolts/nuts, and the nut atop the strut. Sounds like something wasn't torqued properly...

Double and triple checked everything, no issues with bolts

DaFreak

Established Member
Double and triple checked everything, no issues with bolts

OEM End links? If not, and they are adjustable, make sure they are the same length. Otherwise you can get binding/clunking. Also, did you adjust/change out the UCA? I would check this closely too, specifically the bushing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Troy, that is the newer style on the left, correct? It looks like the bolts might be larger/longer. Do they fit the stock strut tower holes without modification on earlier cars?

Correct, the newest -C mount

I have yet to personally confirm if the newer -C mounts will work on the 05-09 cars. I do know one retailer listed the -C mount to fit all year models of S197.

I'm still using the -B mounts on my car (revised noise free version). The -A were the original SVT mounts on the 07-09 GT500.

No, I reused the stock ones.

If you reused your stock strut mounts, and you have a 2007-2009 year model GT500, it's possible you have the -A mounts. They had issues, and Ford redesigned them to prevent the clunking noise. The newer part number is 8R3Z-18183-B

The way to tell if you have the -A mounts. They have green painted studs on the top of the mount.

I made a valuable post about this last year. One thing I can guarantee you...it's NOT the upper sway bar link nuts loose.

Fix your clunking

Last edited:

Salar

Established Member
OEM End links? If not, and they are adjustable, make sure they are the same length. Otherwise you can get binding/clunking. Also, did you adjust/change out the UCA? I would check this closely too, specifically the bushing.

No, other than the adj panhard bar everything(endlinks and uca) is stock.

Salar

Established Member
Correct, the newest -C mount

I have yet to personally confirm if the newer -C mounts will work on the 05-09 cars. I do know one retailer listed the -C mount to fit all year models of S197.

I'm still using the -B mounts on my car (revised noise free version). The -A were the original SVT mounts on the 07-09 GT500.

If you reused your stock strut mounts, and you have a 2007-2009 year model GT500, it's possible you have the -A mounts. They had issues, and Ford redesigned them to prevent the clunking noise. The newer part number is 8R3Z-18183-B

Good post, It seems like I have to spend one more day in the garage

The way to tell if you have the -A mounts. They have green painted studs on the top of the mount.

I made a valuable post about this last year. One thing I can guarantee you...it's NOT the upper sway bar link nuts loose.

Fix your clunking

Good post. Not going drive it until install them

Users who are viewing this thread