Popping sound coming from under car…possible clutch?

Stangdriver13

Established Member
I'm getting this audible "popping" sound coming from under my car. Its not a clunk but rather sounds like the "pop" an empty soda can makes when the side of it is pressed in then pops back out. Its a very distinct noise and pretty damn loud/annoying. I'm pretty sure any by stander could hear it as I drive by. It started at around 2500 miles and has gotten worse over the last couple of years. I currently have 5700 miles on the car. The "pop" occurs when I'm taking off immediately after I let the clutch out, in-between shifts right after I let the clutch out, or when keeping the car in gear and let off the gas then press back on the gas. So it seems like when the car weight transfers I get the sound. I started off every once in awhile but now it happens on just about every shift especially on shifts 1-4. Anyone know what this could be? Clutch possibly going? It sounds like its coming from directly under the trans tunnel but its hard to tell if its echoing making me think that. This also started before I put on the UCA/LCAs, so don't think that's the problem.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Maybe check the u-joints in the drive shaft? I've had a few making pop noises and some make squeaking noises on their way out. Just something to check I guess...

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have had the same exact noise in the same situations in the past two years. This winter I tore suspension apart to get powdercoated. I noticed that my diff cover was rubbing my panhard bar. So I ground down my diff cover to gain clearance. I also noticed my over axel pipes could have been hitting my panhard brace. I fixed these issues and greased all my suspension parts. I will take the car out this weekend and report back

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Maybe check the u-joints in the drive shaft? I've had a few making pop noises and some make squeaking noises on their way out. Just something to check I guess...

I checked this week when I changed my oil and I did not have any slop in the u-joint. Parts only have 5k miles so I doubt that is it unless I got a bad driveshaft.

I have had the same exact noise in the same situations in the past two years. This winter I tore suspension apart to get powdercoated. I noticed that my diff cover was rubbing my panhard bar. So I ground down my diff cover to gain clearance. I also noticed my over axel pipes could have been hitting my panhard brace. I fixed these issues and greased all my suspension parts. I will take the car out this weekend and report back

That's interesting you said that. I don't remember the noise before I put on my panhard bar, granted that was over 2 yrs ago that I put it on. I'll check for clearance issues there and see if I get the same problem. I hope its something that simple!!!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
If I actually drove my car I would already have an answer for you. The weather has been so nice, but having a new born really cramps my schedule

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Checked for clearance in the rear suspension and no signs of rubbing anywhere. Plenty of clearance around the pan hard bar and sway bars. I'm going to check the front suspension tomorrow but like I said it sounds like its coming from directly under the car. Drive shaft was also fine.

Users who are viewing this thread