Porsche do's and don'ts

MNCobra

Established Member
i am thinking of purchasing a Porsche...its been a dream car of mine since i was a kid...any Porsche guys/gals guru's here willing to give me some do's and don'ts on getting a used Porsche? should i go new? what to look out for....what is something that holds it value...i am looking at a 911 or Cayane...Turbo would be good but not something that would be a deal breaker...dont plan on racing it just enjoying it...Budget would be $70-80K...thanks...

Last edited:

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Check this out. Tons of info on purchasing and tasteful modifications of Exotics and luxury cars.My uncle just bought the right 997 for him after years of searching. He said it comes down to Mileage, MAINTAINENCE HISTORY being documented, appearance, and actual performance of the vehicle. He said he waited so long to actually purcahse one and not lease because of their maintenance costs and him being busy and not wanting to tear the car apart. If you get one, make sure it has just had its service, you dont want to come into that.

MNCobra

Established Member
Check this out. Tons of info on purchasing and tasteful modifications of Exotics and luxury cars.My uncle just bought the right 997 for him after years of searching. He said it comes down to Mileage, MAINTAINENCE HISTORY being documented, appearance, and actual performance of the vehicle. He said he waited so long to actually purcahse one and not lease because of their maintenance costs and him being busy and not wanting to tear the car apart. If you get one, make sure it has just had its service, you dont want to come into that.

thank you for all the info...i will check it out

TK Doom

Established Member
no idea this was English class....but thanks for the link

Good luck in your search! I always wanted a 928, just for shiz and giggles...but i doubt it'll happen.

And yes, the internet is essentially one big classroom, where have YOU have? ;)

Just_A_GT

Established Member
1) Learn to type using proper sentence structure and punctuation.

Wow. A fellow car enthusiast started a thread on an internet car forum asking a straight forward question in a nice and thankful tone, but you felt the need to be a grammar nazi. Get over yourself.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Dos: Don't buy one
Do nots: Buy one

Wrong.

be prepared to get ass raped on maintenance

Wrong.

OP, maintenance is not that bad. There is a ton of DIY's out there. If you're going used. I recommend a 997.2. More HP, DI, easier maintenance, better options and more make it worth while over the 997.1. I personally would avoid most 996's (Turbo and GT3 not counting) as they have a lot of IMS failure, have a shit interior, and look pretty dated.

MNCobra

Established Member
Wrong.

Wrong.

OP, maintenance is not that bad. There is a ton of DIY's out there. If you're going used. I recommend a 997.2. More HP, DI, easier maintenance, better options and more make it worth while over the 997.1. I personally would avoid most 996's (Turbo and GT3 not counting) as they have a lot of IMS failure, have a shit interior, and look pretty dated.

nice info thank you

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Wow. A fellow car enthusiast started a thread on an internet car forum asking a straight forward question in a nice and thankful tone, but you felt the need to be a grammar nazi. Get over yourself.

It's SVTP...and phone posting FTL sometimes.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I just looked at a totaly restored Targa 69 year only off issus is rolled fenders on the rear and 73 front and rear bumpers cause the other owner thought that was cool 100K euros plus shipping lol come get it.

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I'd say go for gold if you want it, I've always enjoyed beating around on BMW's and Audi's I'd imagine a Porsche would be a notch above!

Para81

Established Member
911 Turbo (2007-2009) will be a good one for your budget for big HP. If you plan on going to the track go 997 GT3.

My personal favorite is the 997 Carrera S. I own one and love it, have had it for 6 years as a daily driver and it's been a blast. Feel free to PM me cars for sale if you have any questions about them.

Users who are viewing this thread