Porsche do's and don'ts

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Good luck in your search! I always wanted a 928, just for shiz and giggles...but i doubt it'll happen.

You think you want one til you actually own one, then you can't wait to get rid of it. My friend picked up a 86.5 928s and put 11 grand worth of work into the car just to get it running. I'd say 80% of that was into the engine alone, which aside from sending the heads out to a machine shop, he did all of the labor on. Its NOT a cheap car and its NOT a reliable car.

It does sit well next to my 745i though, if you were a drug dealer in the 80's this is what your garage would look like

IMG_0104-L.jpg

Para81

Established Member
Thanks for posting this link as I was looking at early 2k Porsches! That's a damn shame that Porsche is screwing their customers like that!

The 997 (2005-2012) is arguably the best 911 series Porsche ever built. Yes there is an IMS bearing which has failed on some cars (very small percentage) - if your car is a 2005 the bearing can easily be upgraded to a ceramic bearing built by LN Engineering - (upgraded mine at 54,000 miles and original was in perfect condition) - the 2006-2008 have a dual row bearing that is beefy and no need to upgrade. The 2009-2012 (997.2) models do not have an IMS bearing. Overall I wouldn't rule out any 997 - they're all incredible cars.

As for the 996 (1999-2004) they are considered the least desirable Porsches with poorly designed headlights, cheap interior and a less curves. A major downgrade from the 993 series they replaced (last of the air-cooled and also fantastic).

Davemcc

Established Member
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM 2001-2005. Btw, this is a hint of how Porsche treats its customers.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/porsche-whiffs-customer-care

(Btw, I don't care for 911's, but I would love to have a well maintained/restored 80's Carrera Cab or Targa)

Thanks for the link. My wife wants her next car to be a Boxster, F-Type, SLK, Z4, etc. type car but she hasn't settled on a particular model. On my end, I want to ensure the service/warranty part of buying an upscale brand. If Porsche is not is not considered a reputable company when dealing with it's customer's maintenance issues, I will have to take them off the list.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
European sports cars, how a guy like me can afford a Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread